Fairphone 2 touchscreen suddenly freezes

Hey Marc,

Of course, we will make sure we will find a solution and that somebody will be in touch today. Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

Hi all!

My fairphone 2 touchscreen also freezes very often; i just have to press the side power button to turn the screen dark and then press again to enter my password and it works for a little while. I prefer using my old phone (which screen is broken) rather than the FP2 because it freezes too often!

I am planning on sending it back if the update doesn’t help, I really can’t use it!

Thank you!

Margaux

a day passed, no contact from fairphone. @anon48893843 - are you a fairphone employee? Should I rather make a formal approach?

Yes, he is a Fairphone employee.

Hey, an message has been sent you to yesterday at around 18:00. If you didn’t receive it, let me know!

I’m getting this daily now. It’s extremely annoying.

I’ll lock the phone, pick it up and pressing the power button won’t light the screen again. The only way I can get back into the phone is to hold the power button for 15 secs and reboot it.

The light will flash, and if you plug it in the colour changes to show it is charging, so the phone is still working in some way.

next time it happens, I’ll get someone to phone me and see if the phone picks up…

I’m not far away from getting a different phone tbh :frowning:

Please @anon48893843 can you help me.

1 Like

Hey, I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues and it is annoying you! Definitely not what we want to hear, so let’s get you a good working phone as soon as possible. I’ll make sure we’ll be in touch today!

@delanthear don’t wait as long as I did, my phone does not start up anymore and I had luck to save at least the pictures and my downloaded items. However I could not save my calendar, this one is gone now. I have no idea how to get along now as I can not even start into recovery mode. I was too busy the last two days to work on a solution. I use my old Galaxy S3 again now. Sad but true :cry:

Happened to me twice today. The second time I got someone to try phoning me. The call rang, but the phone never rang or woke up. Needed a 15sec reboot to come back again

fyi, you replied to my open ticket, but not this issue?

I keep having this problem too, do you know how I can report this to FP?

If you are looking for official support by FP, you can open a ticket (at the bottom of the site):
https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

I had the fun situation of my alarm going off this morning, but the screen not responding/turning on so I couldn’t deal with it. I had to restart the phone (15 second on the power button) and then when it rebooted the alarm started up again :smiley:

1 Like

Just had it happen slightly differently.

Hit the power button to lock the screen, then I wanted to check the time so hit power button and the screen didn’t light up. Pressing it a couple of the times got no reactions. I had a pulsing blue light.

So, I did a test call to the phone, which just rang but the phone didn’t respond at all.

Went reboot the phone as usual with a 15 sec power button hold, but after 2-3 seconds it suddenly woke up showing the screen, and then immediately restarted/crashed. Not the normal reset sequence.

It was like something was stopping the screen restarting, that suddenly cleared, letting the phone start, but then it crashed.

:persevere:

Hey, I have exact the same problem; when calling someone, and there is
only voicemail, my screen freezes and turns black - the only solution is
taking out the battery (since I don’t want to leave a message that ends
with curses because the phone freezes) - any solutions to this?

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not this problem: FP2 Screen can’t be reactivated during/after calls - See first post for Workarounds?

Hey Johan, I’ll check, thanks. Must be that.

Another confirmation that disassembling the screen helps. I’ve had the same issue for a long time now. I disassembled and reassembled the screen, and it works now (who knows for how long…)

I wish the Fairphone team would address this issue!

Limited solution here: UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE

My touchscreen was freezing up regularly on me:

• The display would still display
  • The display remained working (the time on the screen updates)
  • The buttons would still work work (screen off, and taking screenshots using PWR + VolDown)

A simple lock and unlock would work (as hinted here as well) but not satisfactory

It was too regular, always at night (when I had plugged in the power adapter). A back- and forth confirmed:
If the power adapter is plugged in, the touchscreen can freeze up. So if you wan’t to use it, just unplug the cable

I sincerely hope things will improve, but for some of you, I reckon this might reduce the issue to an acceptable level. It did for me.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Parts of the touchscreen don’t work