FP2 Frequent crashes requiring reboot by holding power button >10s

Hmm, after installing 1.4.2 a second time as advised (and again update seemed to go fine), still getting crashes requiring the 10s power-button or battery removal to restart… The most recent one, my phone was resting on the desk, stable network environment for over an hour, wasn’t being used, when i went to use it, it was unresponsive.

My problem continues. The frequency of crashes may be a little less but it is still at least once a day, and almost all are ones where “android is updating” comes up when I force a restart, so the phone is out of action for 20-30 minutes. I noticed a software update to the Updater yesterday so when i have stable wifi today I will do the update again.

I was experiencing random crashes (mostly while the screen was off) and had to hard reboot the phone at least once a day. When the 1.3.6 update came I made a factory reset after installing the update. After that it has randomly rebooted just a few times but no more black screen locks. :slight_smile:

I’ve been experiencing this problem for some time now, it first started happening for me after the 1.2.8 update (I am now up to date on 1.4.2). It happens randomly, about once every two or three days, sometimes on WiFi, or while connected to 3G only (I don’t have a 4G sim). I don’t remember it happening while I’m actually using the phone, it only seems to happen to me when the screen is off.

Sometimes I can reboot with a long press on the power button, other times that reboot freezes and I have to remove the battery anyway.

Recently I’ve noticed a notification seems to trigger it: today I heard it go off, went to unlock the screen, and it had gone dead, a second after the notification (I think it was WhatsApp).

This might correlate somehow with a new slightly different incident last week when I received a call, but the screen was blank and unresponsive so I had no way to pick it up. It kept on ringing far longer than it normally would, voicemail didn’t intercept it, and I had to remove the battery to make it stop.

I’m sure I cleared the cache once before, but I suppose it can’t hurt to try again. It’s a really hard issue to pin down!

A bit tentative but worth mentioning, I haven’t had this issue since i started using a different charger. I noticed the crashes were in a morning a short time after I unplugged it from charging.
I will check to see if there are any power difference ratings between the chargers i have tried.
Cheers.

Just linking in my issues on this:

and

and

1 Like

I am also getting frequent crashes 3x week now, seems related to switching on wiFi or 4G. One crash happened whilst using Google Maps, another just with Google searching something. The screen becomes unresponsive and the power button too, only way to fix it is to remove the battery. I’ve only had the phone for 2 months! NOT HAPPY!

I realised that this allways happened just after I got a whatsapp notification. Another problem I had was that the contacts took a lot of time in be charged, as much in whatsapp as in the phone app. I uninstalled and reinstalled the whatsapp application and both problems never happened again!

I did that a month ago or so, just before installing the FP2 OS 1.4.2 uptade. I wait for a week to install the update just to be sure the problem was solved by unistalling and reinstalling the whatsapp app.

Hoping this helps some of you.

I also noticed a similar pattern: crashes happening shortly after charging the phone. Would you mind sharing the specifications of your previous (faulty) and your current (working) chargers?

hi morgenstern,

I have been holding off mentioning anything since i still get occasional random crashes maybe 2 or 3 times a week, although this is much reduced from previously and no longer happens after charging.
The chargers i have tried all have outputs of 5v or 5.2v, so i don’t think it’s the voltage, however, the amperage seems to vary quite bit. The lower amperage outputs i tried all seemed to correlate with crashing which were 2x 0.7A and 1x 1.35A. The one which seemed to help has an output of 2.0A.
Let me know if this helps.

okay, I just read through all these posts. Seems that a lot of people have this problem and no solution has been found or no support from the FP could been given so far. Unfortunately I can’t add a lot, just describe what I tried, namely:

• taking out both SIMs individually
  • taking out SD-Card
  • deleting cache

I’m using FPOS OS. Before switching from FP OS I only had the random reboots, now it’s taking out the battery / pressing power button for longer (something I still have to try out after having read this post).

Hope there will be a solution soon!

I also have a crash problem. During the last days it started rebooting spontaneously, especially when it was charging. Today it crashed toitally, even though it still had 55 % battery power. I had to take the battery out to start it up again.

Long pressing the power button does nothing, alas. The only think I can ever do is take out the battery.

For the hard reset reboot (*) it must be held > 10 seconds which feels very long.
Are you sure you are waiting long enough?

*edit by @paulakreuzer: hard reset is something different.

3 Likes

Just wanted to share that this problem seems to have gotten worse for me since the most recent update, really disappointed as it seemed to have gotten much better in the previous one. Sometimes when charging, sometimes not. If it crashes when charging the LED stays on, but long pressing the power button does nothing. Pressing and holding the power and volume buttons for longer than 10s starts a reset, but the reset crashes and I have to take the battery out to restart. This has been happening every day since the newest update :pensive:

Hi

My fairphone2 starting freezing on the home screen about 7 days ago. Now it is freezing at least once a day.
It can freeze on any of my screens and at any time and when using any apps/programmes.
I have to remove the battery and reinsert in order to get the screen to respond to my finger touch.

I have tried to hold the Power button for between 9-13secs as indicated above but nothing happens.

Any other suggestions??
Pauline

Hello, same problem for me, FP2 blocks and I until now I had to get the batterie out to restart it. I will try the power button hold more than 10 sec the next time.

It seems to happen randomly, but most of the times (but not only) when picking the phone in the morning after charging, when I take a look to it the screen is already black and the phone not responding and the green light stays on.

I hope the issue will be identified and solved soon because is very annoying.

I do also get crashes every once in a while. It happened when m y alarm was on in the morning. The phone did not react any more, but I had to remove the battery to stop the alarm and reboot the phone. It also happened when I was making a phone call. The mailbox answered. I did not want to leave a message, but the screen was black and the phone did not react, so I could not hang up the phone. After pressing the start button for a while, the phone rebooted. It also happened when I did not do anything on the phone. I was walking around and felt the vibration in my pocket when the phone shutted down and than rebooted.
This is really irritating. I need a phone, that I can trust on to work.

For me, the problem got partly solved since the last OSOS update (16.07.1). Now my phone still restarts randomly - something I have seen with many Android phones. So this is still annoying, but definitely better than before. Let’s hope the problem gets entirely resolved soon!

Well, definitely for me one of the main causes is 4G activation, because when I do so at least once a day I suffer a restart and I can’t track a precise scenario which causes the restart (once during a phone call, once simply by activating the display to see the clock, once just few seconds before the morning alarm, and so on…).
BUT if I configure the 3G I still get random poweroffs and most of the cases (about 90%) is during a CPU/GPU heavy work (using the Palemoon browser looking at Google Maps, using OSMand for browsing a map, everything else that heats the phone due to high CPU/GPU work)
I also had a poweroff while developing an app and I had the phone connected with ADB but I was not able to get the logs (I hoped to be able to track a crash or some low level exception :frowning: ) but I suspect there could be something that involves OpenGL or the GPU because this is the only common denominator of the issues.
The only thing I was able to see is that Windows showed 5 or 6 removable device letters (E:, F:, etc) while the screen was black, so definitely the phone is still powered up but the only thing I can do to restart it is pressing the power button for at least 15 seconds.
Bye!