Fairphone 2 touchscreen suddenly freezes

@delanthear don’t wait as long as I did, my phone does not start up anymore and I had luck to save at least the pictures and my downloaded items. However I could not save my calendar, this one is gone now. I have no idea how to get along now as I can not even start into recovery mode. I was too busy the last two days to work on a solution. I use my old Galaxy S3 again now. Sad but true :cry:

Happened to me twice today. The second time I got someone to try phoning me. The call rang, but the phone never rang or woke up. Needed a 15sec reboot to come back again

fyi, you replied to my open ticket, but not this issue?

I keep having this problem too, do you know how I can report this to FP?

If you are looking for official support by FP, you can open a ticket (at the bottom of the site):
https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

I had the fun situation of my alarm going off this morning, but the screen not responding/turning on so I couldn’t deal with it. I had to restart the phone (15 second on the power button) and then when it rebooted the alarm started up again :smiley:

1 Like

Just had it happen slightly differently.

Hit the power button to lock the screen, then I wanted to check the time so hit power button and the screen didn’t light up. Pressing it a couple of the times got no reactions. I had a pulsing blue light.

So, I did a test call to the phone, which just rang but the phone didn’t respond at all.

Went reboot the phone as usual with a 15 sec power button hold, but after 2-3 seconds it suddenly woke up showing the screen, and then immediately restarted/crashed. Not the normal reset sequence.

It was like something was stopping the screen restarting, that suddenly cleared, letting the phone start, but then it crashed.

:persevere:

Hey, I have exact the same problem; when calling someone, and there is
only voicemail, my screen freezes and turns black - the only solution is
taking out the battery (since I don’t want to leave a message that ends
with curses because the phone freezes) - any solutions to this?

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not this problem: FP2 Screen can’t be reactivated during/after calls - See first post for Workarounds?

Hey Johan, I’ll check, thanks. Must be that.

Another confirmation that disassembling the screen helps. I’ve had the same issue for a long time now. I disassembled and reassembled the screen, and it works now (who knows for how long…)

I wish the Fairphone team would address this issue!

Limited solution here: UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE

My touchscreen was freezing up regularly on me:

• The display would still display
  • The display remained working (the time on the screen updates)
  • The buttons would still work work (screen off, and taking screenshots using PWR + VolDown)

A simple lock and unlock would work (as hinted here as well) but not satisfactory

It was too regular, always at night (when I had plugged in the power adapter). A back- and forth confirmed:
If the power adapter is plugged in, the touchscreen can freeze up. So if you wan’t to use it, just unplug the cable

I sincerely hope things will improve, but for some of you, I reckon this might reduce the issue to an acceptable level. It did for me.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Parts of the touchscreen don’t work

My screen is also freezing, but only while charging. You think to remove the display and clean the connector would also help?

No, that’s a different problem, which appears to be a combination of charger+cable+phone. Seems to have become less of an issue after one of the software issues, but in same cases it still causes problems:

1 Like

I also have the problem that my screen stops reacting at touching it. Not during charging/after calling, but randomly. Only thing that helps is removing the battery. I read all the posts in the forum on this topic, and I see a lot of complaints but no solutions? What can I do?

2 Likes

Is not linked in the moderator’s pinned comment.

The first one is not a link because it is referring to this very topic right here.

I got my Fairphone 2 two weeks ago and I immediately installed the 1.6.2 update. Im getting screen freezes sometimes when unlocking the phone and the touch seems unresponsive and sometimes the screen freezes on the home screen and I have to hold the power for 10+ seconds to do a soft boot. This then seems to solve it for the time being.

1 Like

Hey there, this support article might be useful for some of you with a touchscreen issue on your Fairphone 2.

https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/211351686-My-display-screen-is-not-working-properly

1 Like