Fairphone 2 production and delivery thread

welcome… and actually I really hope we do not have to wait so long…

Me too :-). When I ordered it said delivery would be in January… But then again there are bigger problems in this world ;-).

That is interesting - I ordered my phone on 6 January and I have never been given an expected delivery date under “order information” (which means I am reliant on weekly updates!). I think that is because my order is still in “prepare batch” status.

Hi all,

We have updated the blog: https://www.fairphone.com/2015/12/10/fairphone-2-production-delivery-countdown/. Apologies for the delay.

We are now getting more information about the progress of January orders for next Wednesday’s blog update.

Best,
Joe

This is getting ridiculous. It is very frustrating and disappointing to be continuously misled regarding delivery dates, in particular for those of us who urgently need a working phone. Still no update on my order (order placed 4th January, and initially October, see story below), no response to my email to customer service, still no phone (“prepare batch”). Will have to cancel my order next Wednesday if I don’t have any clarity. Even if there will be clarity and I will get my phone, I would not go for/recommend a FP again (after having had a FP1) given my experience this time - to quote myself:

“Interesting to hear that quite a few people are still waiting for their phones, too - just looked through the forum for the first time after not hearing back from customer service. I am getting increasingly frustrated by the poor FP customer service, and am considering cancelling my order and leaving the FP family altogether. I had a FP1, which was stolen last fall, so I ordered a FP2 in October (promised delivery date back then was December). When the initially planned delivery date slipped, I had to cancel and reorder my FP2 (black back cover) in early January because FP wasn’t able to change the delivery address from one country to another (and I moved countries in January). Ever since, I haven’t received any updates re the delivery date of my phone. I sent an email to customer service 5 days ago and will decide on next steps once I hear back from them (or if I dont)… What annoys me most is the lack of communication from FP which makes it very hard for customers to plan.
The main problem, as for most people here, is that the smart phone I use at the moment doesn’t work properly, and I need a working phone asap. I had planned to be able to use my FP2 by the end of December, which would have worked fine for me. FP is a great project, and I followed it from the start (ordered one of the first FP1s), but for me the disadvantages (poor customer service, significant delays etc) now start to outweigh all the positive points of the product.”

1 Like

Hi Joe,

As the long-awaited update does not contain any information, it might be helpful to provide a more informative update as soon as you can, ideally before next Wednesday.

I would be grateful to know whether it is normal that an early January order is still in “prepare batch” phase, and whether that means that shipping is unlikely in the next few weeks - I would really appreciate some clear information so that I can make a decision on whether I need to cancel my order and buy a phone, as I urgently need one. Looking at the posts here it appears others are in a similar position so another update soon would really be appreciated!

Thanks for all your work so far and thanks in advance for providing some info!

3 Likes

Our support team should be getting in touch with you very soon, I’m sorry for the delayed response.

We’ll have an update next week to confirm the status of January orders. Have a good weekend, all!

Lol. My delivery status is back to March :grinning: In all four languages :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll wait and see :wink:

Mine still in prepare batch

I think i wont receive my phone nexo week which is a shame :frowning:

Ihope to see te email from support at least.

Bests

yep yep… three months for a smartphone costing so much, not normal. My colleague received his iphone in a couple of days… … no comment…

Say that to the thousands of underpaid kids that made your friends iPhone…that costed less than the fairphone to produce while still being 50% more expensive to buy…

6 Likes

nonono; that is the problem with fairtrade and ecology in general: that people have to feel guilty if they don’t participate (and I wont because I participate as much as I can).
This is the common line of advertisement for these kinds of things. But instead of telling my friend that he should feel guilty having bought his iphone, I would like to make him dream of my fairphone !!! and for now… i cant…

That is really not the point, you knew (could have known) the delivery will take several weeks. It is your decision to order and accept it. Fair enough.
When the delivery postpones from 7 to 15 weeks without notice it is not.

ciao

1 Like

ear Fairphone,

I ordered and paid for my fairphone on 2nd February. In the confirmation email I received it said ‘expected delivery: March 2016’. It has been very frustrating to not find an estimated date within March, and even more frustrating to see that, when logging onto fairphone.com it now says APRIL 2016.

I understand the model you are working with and wish to support you by purchasing a Fairphone. However, you must improve on your comms. First of all, it is not acceptable just to give a month as an expected delivery, you must have a better idea than that. I appreciate the constraints but equally I have paid you £400 and I have no idea when to expect the product.

Second of all, it has now gone back a further month, and I was not notified of this via email. I only discovered it because I logged on. Since I ordered my fairphone I have received two emails from you - one called ‘Buy the Faiphone 2’, and another ‘top 5 reasons you should get a Fairphone 2’. I’ve got one! please deliver it to me and if the delivery date changes then you must inform me, and give me a date!!

I wish to support you - enterprises like this should be the future, but with such basic failings in service delivery then it is a very hard sell. Many of my friends are interested in buying a faiphone in the future but when they hear I parted with £400 at the start of February, and may not receive my phone until 12 weeks later (but who knows, you haven’t told me…), it is unlikely to persuade them.

Would be interested in hearing your comments on all of the above. and please give me a more precise estimate than ‘April’. Is there a problem or did you always expect it to take 12 weeks to deliver my phone after taking payment? If so, is this in any T&Cs I agreed to because I would have liked to have known.

Many thanks,

Michael

p.s. the only reason I am posting on here is because the webform for your support team is terrible! the text is grey so barely legible against the white background and it asked me to enter a number, I tried the delivery number and order number but it wouldn’t accept either.

3 Likes

:confused: well actually the ‘several weeks’ info was more inconspicuous than the “several days” delivery that I read before paying… and I am in the case when it was one month and then became two, and finally still no idea on when I will get it… and yes now I find this discouraging and a bit difficult to advertise for…
and sorry maybe you are right that was a post I should have avoided, I don’t want to raise a debate on this: I think any person ordering a fairphone (including me) is unlikely to buy an iphone…

I Don’t care about what you buy, if you buy an Iphone, FINE, it’s a beautifully engineered piece of premium technology, that will provide you all (and much more) that you need from a smartphone.
The fact is that, like Fairphone said in the first place when opening this thread is :slightly_smiling:“We don’t wan’t to hire unqualified people for short term contract as it lead to a serious job insecurity”.
Companies have the priorities, Apple is profit oriented and have billions of dollars to use to maintain a very large production, and can hire on the spot thousands of “young students in mandatory unpaid internships” (i’m not kidding, it’s what they do).
Fairphone is less profit oriented, with a focus to maintain good working conditions without impelling to much it’s customer, but we all have experienced better for the same price, witch is making our opinion biaised considering what fairphone is trying to change (and Fairphone doesn’t have fraction of Apple power on phone manufacturer).
As someone that had to live without a decent phone for 3 month because of the said delays, i was also super pissed, but…and i even seriously considered canceling my order, but, for what fairphone is doing, for the changes it can provide, i waited longer, and i’m not dissapointed at all :smiley: .
That being said, if you believe a bit in fairphone motto, and want to help it, wait a bit more, if you just want a better phone for the same price, with better spec and 3 days shipping, go somewhere else, your choice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hum thank your really nice answer. I (unless you apparently) actually DO care that so many people buy iphones (or any smartphone) instead of fairphones :slight_smile: and I agree with you about apple haha, and I would already have cancelled my order if I was not convinced about the utility of the fairphone project! I think we are more on the same board as you think :wink:
Fair trade will be a success when people will buy it also because it is of good quality and sold with a good service, not only because they are fair, that was more my point. I am trying to convince friends around me, friends who have iphones, and now I look a bit stupid because they ask where is the so super cool new phone I ordered last month…
Well enjoy your fairphone since yours seems to have been shipped! Take care.

3 Likes

Well, if they ask you about the whereabouts of your phone, you can also explain that with the reasons mentioned above.

I was in a similar situation as @Elipsus, waiting desperately for my FP2 as I did not have a smartphone available for some months. I too wash playing with the thought of cancelling the order, but then again I to liked the idea that FP was not willing to hire some people in the short run, but to guarantee decent jobs to regular employees.
And today I’m glad I waited, because I got a great working phone, well beside the weak camera sensor.

Anyhow, my point is, it is a fair argument why it takes longer to wait. Beside, it is crowd funded project, so the phone was on sale before having been produced, so it will still take a couple of weeks before it’ll be on stock.

3 Likes

Hi @anon90052001,
I ordered on 14/1/2016 but didn’t receive any email of the ones you mention, neither the ones regarding back cover issues (mine is transparent) nor production delays or anything else.
I also checked my spam folder and there aren’t email so it seems my account is not in your mailing lists or something else…
Furthermore today, I see “Expected Delivery April 2016” while in last blog post and until yesterday the expected delivery was on March, is there any problem with my order?
Thank you in advance, bye!

Hi @DjDas,

We’re not yet shipping orders from mid-January so you shouldn’t worry that you need to contact customer support about your order. But you deserve more information. We’ve been working hard with the operations team to get more information and will share it here and on our blog tomorrow, Wednesday.

2 Likes