Fairphone 2 production and delivery thread

same here :/pensive:

Why not just get some used phone for temporary use, use it for a while and then just re-sell it when you get the FP2? The environment impact is almost zero, the same as the financial impact for you.

4 Likes

Just FYI: Had a nice chat with support - my FP2 ordered and paid on Dec 1st “will be shipped in March”. Maybe I should not have chosen a transparent back cover?!

As there is always a good in the bad - maybe the first bugfix update of FPOS will be available when I receive my phone… :slight_smile:

I too just spoke to Support, and they informed me that the Transparent backcovers with orders from December will be delivered in the first half of March. They also promised that an email regarding the delay will be sent today or tomorrow. I really do hope these promises are not broken as those that came before.
They informed me that the alternative backcover solution was only offered to October (and perhaps November) customers, and no solution had been created for the December customers. He could not tell me when the new batch of transparent covers was expected, it seemed nobody knew, or they are not sharing the information.

I am most dissapointed by the fact that Fairphone does not appear to be communicating at all, they keep making promises they don’t keep and in updates they consistently report untruths.

Maybe they should extend the alternative backcover solution to December?

We’ve had a discussion relevant to this on the forum last year:

Basically, some people prefer getting many updates over getting updates that have a high certainty, and others the other way around. In many cases Fairphone doesn’t know something for certain (such as when their supplier delivers the back covers, as their supplier seems to not be able to to stick to delivery schedules), which puts them in position where you end up with feedback that, depending on the preference of the person posting is either:

or:

(Where it seems that the two statements are mutually exclusive).

More directly on topic, the last we heard here was 9 days ago in this topic:

Hey Golly,

We will send an email to a group of customers next Monday; more specific to people who ordered in December and chose a transparent back cover. In this email we explain that by now, roughly all orders from December are shipped. However, unfortunately, we are out of stock of the transparent back cover colour. The affected group is relatively small, around 350 orders, but obviously is causing much frustration here too! Extending the alternative back cover solution as we did earlier is not an option, because the mutations are causing issues for our webshop - distribution connection which are just too time consuming to manage.

We send this email on Monday because then we will have a detailed view of when we can start shipping affected orders exactly. And, also to be available when people have questions. What I expect now is that we can ship these orders around the second week of March, but like I said, Monday we’ll know more and immediately inform customers.

Once again I can only thank you for your patience in the meantime and assure you we are working hard to get as much phones to customers as fast as we can… and apologise for the lack of communication!

3 Likes

@anon48893843, Thank you for the clear explanation.
@Johannes, The statements are not mutually exclusive, you can keep customers informed of the status of their order, last official thing I heard before calling today was the update to the blog stating:

This week, we are shipping orders which were paid for in December and early January. Owners who ordered in these months can expect their phones to arrive this week or early next week.

No mention of the missing backcovers at all. The Blog has not mentioned the backcover issue once, and I was not informed of this issue via email. So how was I to know my order was affected? A simple email or blog post stating which backcovers are affected and that Fairphone are working on a solution or offering a change of backcover in the order, or an ETA on the backcovers would have been open, honest, fair and showing of appreciation for customers who have been very patiënt thusfar. Any other company would not get away with this, orders would have been cancelled long ago.

I should not be expected to read every post in this thread to mine for information which might impact my order, as the forum clearly states it is not for official responses.

This forum is intended for Fairphone users to discuss with each other. Not for official Fairphone Team responses.

1 Like

Same here. Even though it is a “relatively small group” I am part of this group and I can’t believe the bad communication from Fairphone. I just checked my e-mail and Fairphone account every day several times and in addition to that I waited every day that the DHL might ring because of the messaging issue. I don’t know how much time I’ve spend during the last months to stay informed about the delivery status because of the lack of information. There have been so many changes and frustrations during the last months so my frustration tolerance starts to break down slowly but constantly. The delivery changed from January to Febrauary to March - so a delay of about 10 weeks. For another, “unfair” company I wouldn’t be so patient. Just because I really love the philosophy of Fairphone I am still here.

Furthermore, I can’t understand how it is possible that you run out of back covers. I mean, I ordered my FP2 two months ago. Isn’t that enough time to order additional back covers? An oder is something reliable so it should be predictable how many back covers are needed.

And the whole issue just happens because I chose the “wrong” back cover colour. Honestly, I don’t care if my back cover is transluent or transluent blue - the main thing is I’ll finally get my Fairphone. It would have been easy to send an e-mail or just make an extraordinary blogpost (there is no need to stick on a “one-time-a-week update” if something unexpected happens). I just waisted my time waiting for my Fairphone this week.

But even though all those annoying issues are obviously continuing, I’ll stick on Fairphone and their philosophy. I think it is a great company with the opportunity to change. But if you really want to be seen as a serious company you should work on your problems.

1 Like

Hi Admins.

A friend of mine ordered 2 phones in September (crowdfunding phase) and still did not receive her Phones. She contacted support a week ago, still no answer. I feel a bit bad because I recommended her to order the phones and now…, well.
Could you please contact me on PN? I have her order number, maybe you can check what happend to her Special Edition order or delivery…

Thanks in advance…

Edit: The two phones arrived just today! :grinning:
Two more happy people in this world.

3 Likes

Yes, which apparently will be issued Monday, when they have properly taken stock of the situation.
I realise you may prefer to have had an e-mail which stated that there was an issue and that a solution is being worked on, but others would rather directly know what the actual outlook is. I’m not saying either is right, I’m just pointing out that there is a balance, and that this is different for everyone. You can contribute to the linked discussion if you have strong views on which approach should be taken.

Which is exactly why I repeated the information relevant to your post.

Can’t find the link/post now, but their suppliers let them down and ignored their specification of which batches of which colours should be delivered by when.

1 Like

I don’t think that one is visible to everyone, but it did help find the post above, which is the same:

True, but none made clear that the approach to send out phones with alternative cover colours was limited to the October and November orders only. I made up my mind to order a FP2 end of November - and hit the button in Dec 1st. Stupid me…:wink:

1 Like

If Fairphone can inform Community Moderators, why can they not inform the customers themselves!
Informing some customers gives people who did not recieve that email the idea their order will not be affected as it was planned to be shipped later. It is poor customer service, and you may just see more people starting to cancel their orders due to this, I myself are debating it. The antagonistic replies from community moderators(who appear to have more info?) are not helping FP’s case at all.
@Goody: I really agree with your post

1 Like

We moderator get messages that are send out to certain part of users, in case we are not part of the selection of users that get the mail.
Like @Johannes said: [quote=“Johannes, post:788, topic:11149”]
but it did help find the post above, which is the same:
[/quote]

1 Like

Interesting to hear that quite a few people are still waiting for their phones, too - just looked through the forum for the first time after not hearing back from customer service. I am getting increasingly frustrated by the poor FP customer service, and am considering cancelling my order and leaving the FP family altogether. I had a FP1, which was stolen last fall, so I ordered a FP2 in October (promised delivery date back then was December). When the initially planned delivery date slipped, I had to cancel and reorder my FP2 (black back cover) in early January because FP wasn’t able to change the delivery address from one country to another (and I moved countries in January). Ever since, I haven’t received any updates re the delivery date of my phone. I sent an email to customer service 5 days ago and will decide on next steps once I hear back from them (or if I dont)… What annoys me most is the lack of communication from FP which makes it very hard for customers to plan.
The main problem, as for most people here, is that the smart phone I use at the moment doesn’t work properly, and I need a working phone asap. I had planned to be able to use my FP2 by the end of December, which would have worked fine for me. FP is a great project, and I followed it from the start (ordered one of the first FP1s), but for me the disadvantages (poor customer service, significant delays etc) now start to outweigh all the positive points of the product.

Yes, it’s not easy to wait, especially as you had to reorder.
At the customer service it is extremly busy, so don’t expect an answer this week.
Having said this, there’s also good news for you.
From the weekly blog that @anon90052001 writes:

[quote=“joe, post:1, topic:11149, full:true”]
Updated: Wednesday 24 February

This week, we are shipping orders which were paid for in December and early January. Owners who ordered in these months can expect their phones to arrive this week or early next week.

There are some reported instances in which you may receive your phone before receiving the Trace and Trace email connected to that order. We’re sorry if this affects your order, we are looking into correcting this issue.

Updated: Wednesday 17 February

This week, we are continuing to ship phones paid for in November 2015.
Next week, orders paid for in December 2015 and early January 2016 will be shipping to owners.

After these phones are shipped, orders paid at the end of January and February will be shipped on a rolling basis throughout March.

Please note: For a small number of owners who purchased in October, your phone has not yet shipped due to an error in the queue system. If you paid for your order in October and still have not received a track and trace email, you should receive a notification email by the end of this week. Sorry for the inconvenience. [/quote]

So it looks like your phone is almost on it’s way.

The Blog post from wednesday is misleading, as several hundred people will not be recieving their phones this week or early next week due to missing backcovers. Referring to this message without mentioning this is also misleading to customers.

@Golly I think there’s a misunderstanding.
Douwe wrote 11 days ago
: [quote]
At the moment, we don’t have enough of the various cover colors to ship your phone with the back cover that you originally selected…
However, we know that you’ve been waiting patiently and we want to deliver your phone right away! Therefore, regardless of what color you originally ordered, your phone will arrive with a blue translucent back cover.
To compensate for the inconvenience, you’ll receive a voucher code by email in March that you can use in our webshop to order the back cover that you originally selected (free of charge; shipping included).
[/quote]

So I see no reason to why to think they are not shipping phone.
Also I am just a moderator, not employed by Fairphone.
If you still think my post is misleading, then I am to blame and not Fairphone.

1 Like

The Moderators don’t work for Fairphone, don’t confuse us with FP staff. Generally we try to provide any information that we know of so you don’t have to trawl around the various places. Regarding the update being misleading: since the update it’s been revealed that transparent back covers are not in stock. In terms of responding to @drinnert, who says he ordered a black back cover, there is no known reason to assume that his order will be delayed.

For those wondering about support ticket answers, it seems they’re currently taking >2 weeks based on complaints on this forum. Some discussion on this over here.

Just FYI - support clearly stated that transparent covers are out of stock and customers who ordered a phone with transparent back cover may have their phones shipped in the second week of March. Personally I’m planning for late April now… :wink: