Fairphone 2 production and delivery thread

thanks @joe!

Thanks a lot Joe! :+1: I very much appreciate your sharing this information with us–it all makes perfectly sense and knowing why there’s a delay makes the wait a lot easier. :smile:

I’m looking forward to receiving my Fairphone with blue translucent back cover! I’ll definitely let you know when I’ve got it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh, still a least a week to go before I get my Fairphone 2, number 140 blue translucent.
Just this evening I get into trouble with my Fairphone 1. :ohno:
Suddenly I have only one sim instead of two. I loose all contents of the agenda and of the phone.
And instead of only restore the data I restore data and app of the phone. :grimacing:
Now if I press on phone, it says no app.
After trying several things I am now manully in recover mode start the 1.8 update again.
Hopefully the Fairphone will then work normally. Fingers crossed.

Dear Joe,

Thanks for your explanation and apologises. Your simple explaination let me assume that machine switching was not an accident or new decision. But it may have been well known to Fairphone some time before you published the delay for blue phones only. Due to your explaination I can only guess how the decision to prefer black-cover ordering customers became a pure commercial decision because black-covers have been the majority. I guess you wouldnot contradict if some including me say you severly broke a major promise: delivering by order sequence instead of impair delivery of phones only because of different colors of covers lead to significant delay of thousands of phones. Yes of course, production of all phones on stock would have lead to another delay right into 2016 of the very first phone. But it would have been fair enough to keep fairness between all phone pre-ordering customers and let them wait together. Wouldn’t you agree how you broke also a simple rule of fairness by saying “We have to deliver a decent stock of phones before and around christmas”. Given your explanation you may have also dropped a coin, head or number, to decide who lost that “game”. Wouldn’t you a agree almost a little bit how you broke a simple rule of fairness in december ?

sorry

1 Like

@anon90052001 FYI my shipping confirmation email arrived yesterday so it seems the issue is now fixed.

2 Likes

Counter is at 3184 now (2015-01-05 10:28).

@kevr1990 Thats even worse. I didn’t receive anything:( destroyed my hope:)

1 Like

No.3512 has arrived in Vienna! (notification about 2 hours before delivery)
It’s time to switch from HD2 to FP2, but wait…
Damn, I’m still in the office :frowning:

4 Likes

Which color?

I agree totally.

It would have been a less problem when the reasons for the delay and the decision why the mayor promise was broken were openly communicated before the first phones arrived.

all black :sunglasses:

1 Like

Because it was for “blue customer” rather a postponed delivery than some kind of delay I don’t want to argue about it too much. Especially to me with No 71xx I have no real problem because it feels to me again like a delay. But for e.g. 200 first blue pre-order customers there should be more than a gift for compensation . Yes, maybe Fairphone should think about a small refund for compensation e.g. 20 Euros in return.

@Fairphone: Remember how you already made a special gravure or tiny gifts for every delivery to pre-order customers.
If you still want the first blue pre-order customers still to feel special about receiving their phones you should think about it.
I am not sure about that gravure but maybe it could have been that even my order number maybe would be part ofthat gravure. If I was one of the first 100 what should I remember every time when I look at it back in time ?
Should I be remembered how I was one of the first 100 trustees and one of the last 1000 receipients ?
There should be some compensation for the first 100 (or 200 ).

regards

I even had to buy a new phone while waiting. And that sucks specially because thats exactly what i didnt wanted to do thats why i ordered a fp2. But my old broke down in the end of November (i hoped that the fp2 is already there by then) and i Need my phone for work and Hobbies etc. At least i will have a phone if someday’s a module of the fp2 won’t work and i have to wait till the new one arrives…

@anon90052001 and the rest of the Fairphone team:

I just want to say thank you so much for all of your hard work. I can only imagine the stress over Christmas trying to get as many phones out to people as possible.

Whilst I understand people’s frustrations about delays, I do wish people would think more about the bigger picture and less about the first come first served part, and I sincerely hope people didn’t seriously buy the phone because they thought THAT was fair, rather than because of all of the other ethical aspects of the phone. Personally, I’d much rather someone that ordered their phone months after me got theirs first if that’s what is available than have you spending money/wasting time storing loads of phones just so I can get mine before others. They’re doing their best!

Thank you! Can’t wait for my FP2 :smiley:

12 Likes

When you go to a store and want to buy something that is out of stock, do you think it’s fair to let everybody else wait until you get your item before others are served? I can imagine in a restaurant when you order pasta with tomato sauce, the cook will wait 5 minutes until he has a few orders together before he starts making your meal and might as well prepare some other stuff in the meantime.

I am not sure how well aware the FP team was about the production of the cases. Maybe only during the process it got clear that they will have to produce the different colors in batches. The original plan was to only offer one or two different cases, so why not be thankful for making it possible to have more options?

In other places in the world they shoot their heads off because of various interpretations of single religious sentences. Why do we take every statement given to us by FP so serious? I am certain they try to do the best they can.

When they had to make decisions, they had only a limited overview about all the different topics and I am sure they made the best decisions then. Surely, afterwards you know things better but it is too late then.

Relax please

11 Likes

Then you blue customers have to wait even longer.
Fairphone’s case: When the blue covers arrive, the black and transparent customers are already served. You get your package in short time after arrival of the blue covers, because then only blue customers are served before you.
Your case: When the blue covers arrive, no customers are served, they begin packing and shipping. Before you, all black, blue and transparent customers with lower delivery numbers are served. This takes longer than Fairphone’s case.

5 Likes

Hey @anon90052001, is it possible to inform all buyers with the blue backcovers about how many “blue” phones will be shiped before the own one?

Sorry if several people think I made an offense against FP. I didnot. I am not the only one who is sure that a major promise was broken by a special decision. It was a major promise because keeping the sequence mostly in order is not only a promise about fairness. Again my order number 71xx makes me relax. But I think all customers before me who took another risk about an overall failure of the whole crowdfunding process deserve a special tribute.

The people here telling me that next month nobody cares maybe are the same people who don’t remember the courage that the first customers showed with their early order. Crowdfunding also cannot be compared to a walk to a pizza restaurant. Crowdfunding process doesnot only show the courage the FP company revealed. Crowdfunding also means to honour the very early supporters. Again, I am not talking about me. I have patience , I am relaxed.

regards

maybe you got me wrong like some others. I know as well that fairness has it’s price not only in more money we all pay for this phone but also with more time spending waiting. I am willing to pay this price the same way as you all do here. But we pay this price because fairness also includes the process of crowdfunding and delivery. As long as I am not disproved about a change in fairness before and after the decision to deliver in different periods for different colors I am not willing to accept a faster delivery. Neither for the blues nor for the black ones. Yes of course you’re right it would have taken quite longer and I would have accepted this for the fairness promised before the decision of FP to change delivery order.

never mind

Dear FP’ers,

I just ordered the FP2. My payment has been aknowledged on 30/12/15. The e-mail says that I will receive my phone this month. Could you already give me a delivery date which a bit more accurate, for example, a week please? I am just sooooooooo impatient… :blush:

To make my post relevant to this topic, could you please give an average lead time (e.g. 4 weeks?) between the payment and the delivery of the phone? Because I am sure that this piece of information would be of great interest for many customers :wink:

Thanks a lot for your kind help!

Cheers!
Brenda