Fairphone 2 not staying connected to my home wifi

Hello!

My Fairphone 2 connects to most networks it remembers except for my own wifi with which I have to connect it manually and then it disconnects (usually within at minute). This seems to be a problem only with the wifi network at home, as it remembers and connected to the networks in other places I go regularly.

Its quite frustrating as I am not on a plan with tonnes of data, so am frequently going over my monthly bundle and incurring huge bills because I am eating into my data while at home.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? I have tried restarting my router, forgetting the network, reentering everything, as well as doing a total reset of my wifi settings but to no avail!

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Connie

Hi and welcome to the community!
If you don’t mind going in a few technical details, this might help:

PS: I recategorized your topic in the #help:fp2 category, instead of #discuss:fairphone2, because you are seeking help and not discussing.

1 Like

Sometimes such issues are fixed by updating the router firmware. Which router is it?

2 Likes

Additional to router update, router restart and disable 5 GHz, you could try out to change security settings in your router (“WPA/WPA2 (very high secure)” instead of “WPA2 (high secure)”) (for testing).

On the FP2 (Android 7) you could try to change some settings:

• Location - Mode - “High accuracy” (GPS only)
  • Location - Mode - (3 dots upper right side) “Scanning”: disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning

The problem which you describe is happening also for many other people with some WiFi networks:
https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/139

I personally will wait for the Android 9 upgrade and test there again:

For time being as a workaround, I added another router/repeater/access-point device to my network. I did it with “TP-Link-TL-WA901ND” and I didn’t have a WiFi disconnect since 3 months so far.

1 Like

This can have an impact on various apps, such as a Corona tracing app. Furthermore, it is hard to believe that GPS and Bluetooth settings have an influence on WLAN connections.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for this! Sadly I dont really understand how to change things like channels in my router. I live in a shared house and nobody else i live with does either. I will continue trying to understand. I also can’t seem to select different speed networks from my phone so i am not sure what is wrong!

Hello! I am not sure about router technicalities but on the back its says the following:

Arcadyan
Experia Box V 10A

Here a picture of it:

I have never updated the firmware on a router so do not know if it is possible with this router?

Hi thanks for this, I really do not know how to change the setting on my router because there only seems to be a couple of buttons including the power button. How can I make the changes that you mention?

I tried making the changes in the phone but sadly this is didn’t work :frowning:

Thanks anyway!

For those who cannot view the photo: It shows the type label of a SOHO router, model “Arcadyan Experia Box v10A”.

Please have a look at this post: https://forum.kpn.com/internet-9/firmware-update-v10a-v5-00-31-build420-485099

2 Likes

About the picture. I wouldn’t put a picture on a open forum which contains all keys to my wifi, as well as the admin password. I would suggest you edit the photo and blur these fields (just a suggestion).

@conniejehu, I hadn’t thought about it before, but is your phone up to date?
When you go in the updater app, is it version 19.11.2 (last version available)?

2 Likes

I would have expected that the admin password has been changed already. If not, I second your thoughts.

OK thanks! I took it down! Thanks for the tip. Just really desperate to fix it!

1 Like

ha! Weirdly my phone has just suggested the update. but i need to be connected to the wifi to download it :woman_facepalming:

Well… I wouldn’t investigate further before you update.
The 19.11.2 version solved a lot of wifi problems of the type you describe. So either connect to mobile data to download it, or use another phone to do a bluetooth tethering, or use a computer to do adb tethering, or try to find a wifi which connects without problem… i.e find a way to download this update.

As @DeepSea gave the reference of the router underneath, it is probably better.

2 Likes

Yes, version 19.11.2 of FPOS is a must for those who experience WLAN issues…

1 Like

My quick workaround is to use FLIGHT MODE switch to reset WiFi connection.

My wife and I had the same problem with our FP2’s (with 19.11.2 of FPOS) with the experia box v10a. But also my laptop regularly disconnected from wifi (but it automatically reconnected, our FP2’s did not, for that I had to switch flight mode on and off). I called our internet provider and they said they heard this problem more often with the experia box v10a. They told me to play around with certain settings but it did not solve the problem, so in the end they gave us a wifi extender and now we hardly have this problem anymore.

1 Like

Unfortunately WLAN is not one of the strenghts of the FP2. My wife has a Pixel 3a, the WLAN connections on her phone are much better compared to the (old) FP2. (Our phones are running Android 10.)

1 Like

Based on my experience with my FP2, no matter the OS, I agree with @DeepSea (though that doesn’t mean that all FP2s have wifi problems).

1 Like

I had WiFi problems with my FP2, but not this one (random disconnection) until now, when staying in self catering accommodation. Everyone else’s devices are fine, but my FP2 will not stay connected, and often will not reconnect when ordered to (via More Options > Connect) unless I reboot. Essentially, unusable.
If this persists when I get home I shall have to replace the phone, so disappointing!