Fairphone 2 MTP support on Linux - Ubuntu 14.04

Continuing the discussion from Fairphone 2 and Linux [resolved]:

The previous suggestions for getting MTP on my FP2 to work with Ubuntu 14.04 weren’t working for me but it turns out the fix is pretty easy.

After installing mtpfs, you should be able to mount the MTP filesystem by running this command:
sudo mtpfs /some_directory. A raw device should be found if your phone is correctly connected and configured in MTP mode.
This lets you browse the device’s memory but only with administrator privileges.

In order for the MTP FS of the FP2 to be mounted automagically, one needs to add a udev rule. Since there are already udev rules for libmtp, we can modify them. The rules to modify are located at /lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules. Just after these lines:
# Sensitive Philips device ATTR{idVendor}=="0471", ATTR{idProduct}=="083f", GOTO="libmtp_rules_end"
I added this:
# Fairphone 2 ATTR{idVendor}=="2ae5", ATTR{idProduct}=="f003", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="660", GROUP="audio", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1"

Although it would be better to add a custom rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/, we can hope the mtpfs package will soon add the Fairphone 2 rule.

2 Likes