Fairphone 2: Crazy touch inputs (touchscreen issue) - workaround (for some): increase touch & hold delay

Hello all,
this Problem effects me too. It was there from the first day on and I think it is getting worse every day. There also seams to be an influence if the phone is connected with a charger or not, but the crazy inputs aper in both cases. Setting the Touch & hold delay to medium or even to long is not effecting this misbehaviour. I also removed the Display from the phone and put it back together, which also didn’t help.
Regards, Andi

Workaround didn’t work for me. My provider (the Phone Cohen-op in the UK) told me it was a known issue on SOME of the FP2 handsets and immediately offered to send me a replacement. Impressive customer service.

I’m still waiting for a reply from support. I’m starting to feel a little miffed!

You could send a PM to @anon48893843.

Thanks Lidwien I did. It has been 12 days since their last last reply and I would dearly love my wife to be able use her Fairphone 2.

1 Like

I was having the same issue. The above setting change seems to have worked

Hi @diehauke, I’ve moved your post to the relevant discussion of over-sensitive touch screens on the FP2. I’ve moved it based on the content of the topic you originally posted to, but from your description I’m not sure whether you’re experiencing the same thing.
It could also be this:

Or, if the problem you mention occurs during charging, then this is more relevant, as it discusses the screen becoming unresponsive to touch during charging:

Great! Now I can add this one to the list of bugs on my phone! :frowning:I can’t use it… had to reboot it several times, doesn’t go away… Can’t set the accessibility touch & hold to anything as the screen is completely crazy…

I could not dive into the “testing (or factory) mode:”. However, I just tried to get into it multiple times, then into the flashing mode, then into the testing mode again. Then reboot. Then, the issue disappeared.

As far as I remember, the concrete steps have been as follows:

• Turn theFP off.
  • Press volume down and hold it, then press and hold the power button.
  • Phone vibrates
  • Keep holding buttons
  • Phone vibrates
  • Keep holding buttons
  • Phone vibrates
  • Turn phone off
  • Do the whole thing 5 times
  • Go into flashing mode: (via volume up and power on)
  • Turn phone off
  • Do the “testing (or factory) mode” thingy again
  • Reboot
  • Trouble disappeared

I’d experienced screen flicker at certain brightness levels, and also some occasional minor jerkyness when scrolling since got FP2 in Jan, but not enough to concern me.

However today experienced a serious bout. I was creating a playlist on PowerAmp so scrolling down file list with lots of “touch and hold” to bring up menu for individual tracks. Was fine at first then started getting a bit jerky with some ghosting of images. Got steadily worse over about 10 minutes, progressing to partial screen freezing when scrolling and some image color changes like high contrast negative image of the screen flashing up briefly. Battery was around 25%, not charging, but noticed handset was quite hot to hold. Flicker and ghosting continued intermittently on home screen and other apps. Tried adjusting touch and hold setting but no change. Rebooted twice and again no change. Just turned screen of and left it for 10/15 minutes. When picked phone up again it wasn’t doing it. As was playing music on handset when it happened noticed that playback was uninterrupted when fault appeared. It hasn’t happened again since. Any thoughts…?

Also getting the crazy jumping touch input when scrolling here.
Setting touch and hold delay to maximum has almost completely eliminated but it’s too long a delay for an impatient git like me so will try koppor’s suggestion and the link from Stefan for a ‘touchscreen test’ posted while waiting for a fix from FP themselves.

Thanks for the tip.

Occasionally my screen reacts erratically when typing or browsing or even moving apps.
Any ideas?

1 Like

I moved your post to this topic as I think you have the same problem.

I experienced erratic moves while dragging icons around the desks for instances. I tried the provided work-around without success.

But in my opinion it’s linked to the fact that the screen is clean or not. If I use the phone during a little while, the screen becomes dirty (finger fat on it) and the touch screen becomes crazy.
If I clean the screen with a dry cotton fabric everything become normal again. So I also clean my hands quite often like a doctor, and clean the screen ofter also, and I think I have less occurrences of the problem.

(already having a touch-screen seems to be a mistake ! I’m always asking for people not to touch my laptop screen, to keep it clean ; and with the phone ? It’s just the way you use it… My previous Nokia E6 did kept its screen clean easily, I was not touching it…)

But a good point of the FP2 is that you can make a call laying the phone to touch your head only with caoutchouc border on your skin, so the screen remains intact ! I enjoying it at each call !

I had the same problem, erratically jumping around while scrolling.

The accessibility feature with the Touch & hold delay works fine, at least most of the time. When the phone gets hot though, it will still jump around like crazy.

The only way, I found it working at least 99% of the time was to enable developer options and check Pointer location under Input. This will paint a cross hair on your screen and visualize the way your finger went. The most annoying thing with it is the overlay of the notification bar, which is quite ugly, as it’s full of running numbers about all input data.
The only occasion, this won’t work 100% is in landscape, though it will be way better than without. I haven’t found out, why this makes any difference, but it apparently does.

So far my experiences with this particular bug. Does anyone yet know, when the update, which promises to resolve these things will appear?

Today I changed touch & hold delay as recommended here. Besides the originally mentioned issue this maybe helped me with a partly non-working touchscreen problem discussed in this thread, I documented the details in this post.

Can anyone approve or reject my suspicion that the two issues might be related?

Regards, Bernd

Hi, thanks to @Irina_Spitznagel who adviced me to this topic. My original post:

Hi, I have an issue with my touchscreen. When I am typing something the
display content goes up and down fastly. This is extremely annoying
because my keyboard always takes the wrong input. At first I thought
that might be a mistake of the keyboard but I tried different ones
(Android standard, hacker’s keyboard, Swipe) and it’s still the same. I
am not quite sure but might be that it has some similarities with the
hypersensitive touchscreen issue of FP1. But it appears on my FP2.
Maybe anyone of you has a similar experience or has a solution on how to
fix it. Cheers, Goody
__
In my case there is nothing like the crazy behaviour showed in posted videos. In my case, it’s just during typing. I tried all advices and it didn’t get any better. It doesn’t appear allways so I couldn’t figure out when it appears. I couldn’t access the menu for making a touchscreen test.

Another annoying bug is that scrolling through menus or websites (e.g. FP forum) it doesn’t scroll smoothly at all. It is rather very stagnant/halting and most inputs are executed very delayed. I don’t know if it’s because of a weak processor or for another reason. In addition to that, the mobile phone gets pretty warm during normal web surfing. I hope this is the right place for those issues! Cheers, Goody

+1 for crazy touch inputs issue

I found my exact scenario in this thread:
- out of control jumps while scrolling (like janmollitor), but only sometimes, and yes the longer Touch & hold delay workaround helps but don’t fix.
- out of control typing, sometimes only again, I’m using a swyping keyboard and as someone else said above it can get to impossible to type sometimes. I have to switch off the screen, breathe, wipe the screen (trying reassure my nerves it’s me not the device), breathe again and flick it back on.

• impossible to even unlock the screen when in charge, again sometimes only, like Rafl

I’ve updated to gms36_1.1.7 but nothing. Hoping for a fix as it’s quite a serious bug.

1 Like

Turns out that ‘update’ to 1.1.7 is a bug in the updater app - all phones were shipped with 1.1.7 installed, so there shouldn’t be any differences in behaviour after applying the ‘update’. There was, however, a call for testers for the first software update a while back, in which the touchscreen issue mentioned…

I installed the latest update (1.2.8) and it’s worse than before :unamused: