Fairphone 2: Crazy touch inputs (touchscreen issue) - workaround (for some): increase touch & hold delay

The root cause isn’t found yet:

Same problem here. Workaround did not help. It is worst when I try to rearrange icons or widgets on the start screen. But sometimes even unlocking doesn’t work because of this “jumping”.

I have found out that the issue almost disappeared when I installed twilight, and set the touch delay to “medium”.

A little note though : you’ll have to disable twilight if you want to grant root access or install apps, as given it adds an overlay to the screen, the lower right corner is not “touchable”.

Same for me. Workaround does not help

+1 , does it on my FP2 as well.

1 Like

I also have problems with my oversensitive touchscreen. Only when I am charging… So when I need my phone, I have to unplug it and afterwards plug it in again…

2 Likes

I have the same problem - I’ve had my Fairphone for less than 3 days and the touchscreen is jumping around all over the place, making it pretty much unusable. Was the product not tested??

Same for me. Workaround does not help, Especially using Firefox.

To anyone having this issue:

In my experience of two FP2’s, the first it was a regular problem and made the phone almost unusable at times to the second one where it hardly ever happens and is a minor annoyance. It clearly isn’t the same on all phones so I’d suggest sending yours back if it is in the first category.

1 Like

I’d like to add to this, that before you send it back:

• discharge and charge your phone a few times
  • try the workaround
  • and obviously try while phone is not being plugged in

If then it doesn’t still make the phone almost unusable it’s more likely to be the software bug than a hardware issue.

1 Like

Indeed, I don’t want to cause a mass return to Fairphone. Obviously contact support first and see if they can help, plus follow the steps above ^

Just to confirm my share of experience the same as most people.
BUT, on my FP2 there is a clear coincidence while charging. Immediately after removing usb cable jumping and shivering of every content on the display vanishes !

Even while plugged on e.g. while charging I can push the power switch only for screen lock and after getting back to live with display also the restless touchscreen calms down for a while. Yes, while beeing plugged on it returns for sure. When plugging off all crazy movements disappears like a charm. Now I am not sure if I still need to test on hardware issue as described . The proposed procedure for discharging looks more promising. But after the problem seems to be unique to most of concerned phones I guess I don’t have to until FP people offers a solution. Also I have to stress that this issue is really annoying and should be on the 1st list to be solved.

As I don’t have my phone yet, I still can add the experience with many phones, that some chargers cause issues to the touch-input. In probably most of the above mentioned cases we get no information regarding charging.

Please state if the issue is there, while NOT charging.

And I see good chances that a different charger causes no issuse.

1 Like

Yesterday I discharged my phone down to 5% (low enough ?)
After recharging again the restless touchscreen issue also returned. I only had to unplug and switch screen lock once. Fully functional in seconds. I learned how other phone also show strange or only different behaviour while charging. Somebody here recommends another charger.

Do you still think it is rather a real problem than kind of issue ?

regards

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Address for return

Since it’s related to charging I doubt it’s a bigger problem in your case. A different charger might do the trick, a software update - once it’s out - will hopefully fix it too. :slightly_smiling:

Hello All.

I got my Fairphone last week and It Isn’t working.
It just goes crazy with ghost touches.
I’ve made a Video you can see here.

Of course I’ve contacted Support and they redirected me to this thread saying that this is a known issue and they are still working on a solution and I should just Wait.

I am not happy with that solution. I am thinking about sending the phone back, but I would Like to know what you think.

Please watch the video and let me know If you have the same problem.

Oh, yes, the workaround that is mentioned in this thread doesn’t do anything as you see in the video.

Thanks for your input,
Marc

2 Likes

Hi parchow!

I’d confirm that the behaviour of your phone represents NOT just the bug discussed here, but is different. Looks like a major hardware failure. You could try to disassemble and reassamble the phone (in particular the screen), but if it’s not getting better I would answer support (or call them! - could be much more efficient). Explain the problem again, maybe show them the video link and say that it’s not the problem discussed in the topic here. When they recognise the severity of your problem, I guess you’d get a replacement (or a repair).

Thanks for the Reply. I already dissassembled the Phone to see if there is a bad contact, but it didn’t solve nothing. I also wrote to the support again explaining this. And I’m waiting for the reply. Calling them would be too expensive from here.

Thanks for your tip. That helps a lot!
M.

Hello all,
this Problem effects me too. It was there from the first day on and I think it is getting worse every day. There also seams to be an influence if the phone is connected with a charger or not, but the crazy inputs aper in both cases. Setting the Touch & hold delay to medium or even to long is not effecting this misbehaviour. I also removed the Display from the phone and put it back together, which also didn’t help.
Regards, Andi