Fairbuds app cannot update Fairbuds

This isnt really applicable to the issue here, its just a comment for other readers:

I was unable to update the firmware using my iPhone 11. The update would either get stuck around 50% or fail at 0%.
The method I was doing was:

• Resetting the buds in the case by holding the button on the case for 10 secs then closing the lid (so that the indicator flashed white)
  • Forgetting the two paired fairbud devices on iphone (there seems to be a seperate connection the app uses, and the one iPhone use to play sound). I would only pair using the app when trying to update the firmware).
  • Open the app and let it pair with the buds in the case, and try to update.

I tried around 10 times before borrowing my partners Moto edge 20 pro. There the firmware update worked on first try and was much faster.
The pairing method there was simpler, as the app opened the bluetooth settings, and you paired using the phones settings there (ending up with only one connection instead of two).

I know that my iphone 11 has issues syncing data with my fitbit charge 5 sometimes. So the bluetooth it uses might just not work well with certain devices.

After updating the firmware on Android, I reset them and connected them to my iPhone 11. They seem to work well now. I avoid having the bluetooth connection to the app active when using them for listening, since I get a faint buzzing sound then (only keeping the other bluetooth connection active then). If doing something in the app like changing EQ settings, you need to have that connection active though.

Anyway, if the update is slow and stalls, it might be worth to borrow a friends phone to try there. Especially if your phone is a bit older.

2 Likes

I just received my replacement pair of buds because the first pair was bricked by the bad firmware issue.

I spent more than one hour trying to set them up on iOS, but the firmware update process keep getting stuck at random percentage. I reinstalled the app, factory reset the buds, and tried probably 20 times, but I can’t get past the update screen.

I ask CS for a refund. I am never buying Fairphone products again.

I’m trying to update my Fairbuds on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and it’s not working… Have tried at least 20 times now, but nothing seems to work.

Is a new update coming soon so that they are at least usable? I want to be a fan, but have to be able to start using them first!

Maybe you find someone with an Android phone doing the update for you (as a workaround)?

I can try, but I don’t have anyone in my direct circle with an Android phone. Is there any news on when a new update will be rolled out, also for the delay between video/audio?

I have an iPhone 12 Mini. I kept struggling to update the firmware, it would get randomly stuck at 30,40 or whatever percent and then just stop responding (I kept it going for hours). I followed the advice of other users in this thread but it never worked for me.

But I finally made it work, using the following steps:

• Put (and leave) the Fairbuds in the case.
  • Make sure that your Auto Lock function is set to OFF on iPhone
  • Force close the app, if open (slide up to close, not just go to homescreen)
  • Unpair (Forget) all instances of Fairbuds in the iphone Settings
  • Reset the Fairbuds. Hold the button 10 seconds, close the lid for 5 seconds, then reopen
  • Go to Settings on your iPhone, then tap Bluetooth
  • Hold the button on the Fairbuds for 3 seconds to enable “pairing” mode (a blue light will momentarily shine)
  • Pair the iPhone to the Fairbuds. Don’t do anything else (e.g. play music)
  • Open the app. You will notice now that the splash screen (where you need to select which fairbuds you have) is different, now it will say “Connecting” with a bluetooth logo, rather than a “Connect your Fairbuds” prompt. After little time of waiting, an iPhone system prompt will popup if you want to pair the Fairbuds. Tap YES
  • Try updating again.

Finally it took maybe 6 minutes, and then the Fairbuds app window is dismissed and you are at the start again (“Connect your Fairbuds”) Don’t forget to re-enable auto-lock on your iPhone. I waited a while before interacting with my Fairbuds because I wasn’t sure when the Fairbuds are finished doing its thing.

If I have some feedback for Fairphone, it would be the following:

• Make the LED on the side of the Fairbuds much, much more clearer. The blue light of pairing is barely visible
  • Make the LED pulsate (or something) indicating that a firmware update is happening. This would stop us from second guessing when the Fairbuds are really interacting with the app or not

and finally: Allow users to connect the Fairbuds by USB-C to a computer to update the firmware that way.

I hope the above helps people with the same issue.

5 Likes

Same frustrating issue on iOS 17.5.

Hariasa’s instructions worked for me, but only if I took the earbuds out of the case. I might be wrong, but my hunch is that leaving them in the case causes the bluetooth connection to time out (maybe 3 minutes in?). Each time the update failed to complete it seemed it was caused by the BT connection having dropped.