External Display?

Can I use an external Display via a HDMI-t-USB-cable?
I run OpenOS, and I want to install a second OS, Debian (just for the coolness :sunglasses:), but my problem is that a 5" screen is way too small for a desktop OS, so is this possible?

3 Likes

AFAIK its only possible through miracast - at least thats the only way under Ubuntu touch/ubports so I assume the USB otg doesnt support HDMI out - might be wrong though ā€¦
BTW how youre going to realize the double boot system?

That depends ā€¦ Gole1 running Windows 10 navigated with a not too thick touchpen ā€¦ works neat even with non-touch-optimized programs (after some minutes of target training with the pen) :wink: .

Interestingly, the Gole1 suffers from inconsistent build quality and nerve-racking e-mail support ā€¦ same old, same old :slight_smile: ā€¦

Iā€™m interested in that, too.

FP2 does not support MHL, so a cheap Micro-USB-to-HDMI cable wonā€™t work.

Your screen mirroring options in FPOS (with GMS) are Miracast, Chromecast (both wireless) and DisplayLink (wired).

AFAIK the wireless options donā€™t work in OpenOS (without GMS). You could try DisplayLink. YMMV.

About Debian, I have no idea.

2 Likes

I canā€™t find any DisplayLink cablesā€¦?!

Just found this Slimport cable, but that does not seem to be supported as well.

Itā€™s a series of USB graphics chipsets integrated into USB adapters, docking stations and monitors.

While they are primarily intended for PCs, you can connect them to most Android phones using a standard USB OTG adapter.

2 Likes

There was a bit more discussion about using a USB docking station for HDMI output here:

2 Likes

Actually with Android 6 I was able to use Miracast on OpenOS :slight_smile:

@elastic: There are some ā€œUse Debian beside Androidā€-apps on F-Droid and Yalp. Unfortunately I canā€™t tell you how they work (but Iā€™m sure @z3ntu can ;)), but Iā€™m going to try them out and post my experiences and issues (e.g. ā€œDebian Kitā€ from F-Droid tells me my phone is not rooted, although Iā€™m on OpenOS)!

1 Like

I use an USB-OTG-Adapter with a DisplayLink USB-HDMI-Adapter. With the App DisplayLink Desktop (Beta) I can mirror my screen on the monitorā€¦

1 Like

I just wanted to share my success in connecting and displaying my screen via build in cast screen on Lollipop with a Sony KDL-43WE755 SmartTV.
All went flawless and smooth no further software was involved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.