I was catching up on the world happenings and Canadian politics when I really started feeling a sort of way about these American tariffs and honestly just donāt want to support American products anymore. That said there really isnāt any Canadian made phones anymore, there was Blackberry but that is now just a software company as far as I am aware. So I went onto research different phones from other Countries which mostly were a lot of brands from Asia that genuinely werenāt really peaking interest. That is when I came across and heard of Fairphone! It is amazing to hear of a brand that is European AND ethical! My only disappointment is that it isnāt available or easy to get in Canada.
So my question is, how can we get Fairphone to break into the Canadian market?? Has there been plans or attempts yet? I think the phone company would do so well here especially as many Canadians do really share and care about the values Fairphone has.
If you read through various postings in this forum youāll realise, that outside the EU it is difficult obtaining a fairphone. Already starting with the UK.
I also recall difficulties with providers in the US due to āincompatibilitiesā of the devices.
So, all in all I think there is no positive outlook that Fairphone will expand to North America soon.
And honestly, they have already difficulties with reliably servicing the existing markets and customers.
Much of what you are looking for, is also relevant for Europe. I donāt think that we can live any longer with de-Googled, warmed over operating systems for phones. Any cooperation between European and Canadian mobile phone projects would be advantageous for Canadian and European consumers.
Perhaps, as a starting point, a forum topic could be created for Canadian - European cooperation in the mobile phone area?
I was waiting for the Pixel 9A to come out to update my Pixel 5 when suddenly the US became a non-viable option. I started looking at options (donāt really like Samsung) and found Fairphone. Iām hoping the company will consider expanding to sell in Canada.