/e/ OS Q (Android 10) for FP3/FP3+

Running into the similar ‘No such phone’ error / alert here as well for the Fairphone3+.

1 Like

The string 8901_unlock disappeared from aboot between Android 9 2.A.0120 and 2.A.0134, it is also not in aboot from Q-3.A.0054 so this wont work for Android 10.

It would probably make sense to report the problem with the unlock website to the fairphone support.
I only tried the webpage with the imei+serial from my FP3 and it also works fine (but gives different values for each request, even with the same input).

If you are open for adventures, you could try to follow either of the two methods described here (maybe fastboot first and then the hidden edl version):

And I have one more option: If you can get your wifi router (DNS server) to redirect factory.fairphone.com to fp3.lrnz.org (or 148.251.41.172) instead, try unlocking with an arbitrary (non-empty) unlock code while it is connected to that wifi. Opening https://factory.fairphone.com in the browser on the phone should then give a certificate error (e.g. ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID).
Disclaimer: This will probably send your IMEI + Serial to my personal webserver but I promise not to log those requests.

5 Likes

Thanks @_tmp. Did create a suport ticket with Fairphone Customer Support yesterday. If I don’t hear back from them over the next 48 hours shall go the DNS route.

Another thing I noticed was that checking for OS updates results in “Updates are temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.” Wondering if both are related with backend / server issues.

Trust @formerFP.Com.Manager can help.

1 Like

Hi all! I needed a new phone some time ago. But, as I really love FP and privacy, I waited until /e/OS was available. Then I ordered one to FP, but I made the “mistake” of choosing an FP3+ and of not buying it via /e/.

I’ve been following all the updates on the situation of the /e/ release fot the FP3+ (investing lots of time in it), and I understand that it’s a matter of hours having a non-beta version: https://community.e.foundation/t/plussed-fairphone-3/21318/17

However, I can’t wait anymore (I need a phone now and I can’t postpone it more) and I’m going to start using the device with regular Android, although I find it repulsive. I understand Lineage isn’t an option either as of now. And I’m not aware of any other FOSS that might be compatible.

Plus, I’m extreeemeley scared of turning an expensive phone into a brick, so now that I’m going to be used by Google for a while, I think I’ll wait for a moment in which an easy way of installing /e/OS is available.

I think I read somewhere that there’s work in progress regarding an auto-installer for the FP3, so I want to thank the people involved because not everyone concerned about privacy is super tech-savvy. <3

2 Likes

Hi @rohan,

Please share your ticket number and I’ll check with our support team.

Best,
Rae

4 Likes

The Zendesk support ticket # is 397991. Thanks @formerFP.Com.Manager!

1 Like

Hi @Ingo
When you go to this link is write: /e/ now supports officially FP3/FP3+ with Android Q! Kindly refer to the official documentation to install it.

But when you go to this documentation there is a warning that say: Caution: Please note this build is for the original FP3 under Android 9 (Pie) only. The FP3+ and its new camera modules are not supported on /e/OS yet. If you have upgraded your FP3 to the new Android 10 stock OS please do not flash this build.

So we are agree that Andoir Q is Android 10 ? If yes which one is the good option.

Thnaks.

Me too, I don’t understand how contracting they are !
Just another disappointment with the Fairphone 3+

Hi,
I asked this question in the /e/ community forum and received the following information from one of the support moderators “The warning is being removed. Should not show up by Monday when the team would come in and push the change to the documentation server.”
So you can disregard the message with “The FP3+ and its new camera modules are not supported on /e/OS yet.” I guess they are pretty busy trying to rollout the new update.

6 Likes

What is the difference between install /e/ for Q and upgrade for Q ? Understood that all data will be deleted also for upgrade. Therefore, why upgrade instead of clean install?
I have /e/ for Android 9 installed. Shall I upgrade to 10?

1 Like

The upgrade documentation https://doc.e.foundation/q-upgrade-fp3 indeed looks identical to the install instructions.

4 Likes

I can’t really answer if you should do an upgrade instead of a clean install. I did a clean install on my FP3+ and so far everything seems to be working. Actually, looking at the upgrade documentation and the install documentation, the processes are identical anyway, so it’s basically a clean install.
The only difference is the handy link to the Howtoo for flashing on linux at the bottom

1 Like

As I will in future also install the new camera I will do the clean install for 3/3+. Thanks!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Difficulty in installing /e/ custom ROM after unlocking bootloader?

Someone in a french topic was (more or less) wondering whether it was possible to restore a google drive backup on /e/ if you’re signed in with a google account. Does someone have the answer?

The way I understood it: they are in the process of including seedvault as “backup transport” (IIRC that’s the name) and I think it’s exclusive in the sense that only one app/service can be “registered” as system backup solution. And I’m quite certain that seedvault cannot restore a backup created with the standard Google Android backup.

2 Likes

Hi there. I am currently on the LOS 16.0 for FP3 because /e/ refuesed to take the easy route towards implementing exposure notifications. Now they appear to geht their act together, I expect to go back to /e/ as soon as Corona Warn is usable.

I have two questions though. First, has anyone already managed to root /e/ under Q? Have there been any difficulties? Installing Magsik created a bootloop under /e/ pie.

And the second question: in case a root is possible, has anyone have experience with creating an app backup with OAndBackupX? Would it possibly work to back up apps on LOS and restore them to /e/?

Thanks ins advance!

I know someone who tried under LOS 17.1@FP2, but it didn’t work. The backup didn’t even start, perhaps because he has ~300 apps and that’s too many :man_shrugging:
Though I have no idea whether the difference of phone and OS will make any difference. Just talking about my experience.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: /e/ easy-installer hangs on Windows

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.