Display carrier network name in status bar

Even when the phone is unlocked? And can you see the Network name toggle in Settings → Display?

1 Like

There seems to be hope. Now wait what R_Bekkers replies to Razem’s question…
:slight_smile:

Yes when I am typing this reply I see the network carrier name. In settings I see the option to enable or disable it. I am on official FP4 android 13
FP4.TP1V.C.073.20230905.

I’m on the same version and I don’t see it. Can you point to the exact place and/or provide a screenshot of the setting?

2 Likes

Hmmm… let me see if I can make it all even more explicit:

(1) I pick up my phone and press the power button on the side, I then see this:
2023-10-20 11-30-02
That is BEFORE I unlock the phone.

(2) then I unlock the phone, and see this:
2023-10-20 11-30-27

(3) then I activate some app, and see this:
2023-10-20 11-32-02
(in fact that app is one of those that will charge me different rates depending on where I am: the Geneva Public Transport system app to buy bus and tram tickets, but it is not the only one, and is here mentioned only as an example)

In my settings, for the Display panel, I have this:

The one under auto-rotate is Network name, and it’s the button we are discussing.

In all cases except the settings panel, I immediately see what carrier I’m on.

As an aside, the Geneva Public Transport app had an earlier version which refused to accept ticket payment unless I was on a Swiss carrier! So, imagine you park your car, run to the tram, try to buy your ticket, get into the app, swipe and tap and swipe and tap and finally tap the “buy ticket” and are refused because you were still connected to the French mast which is still too close by. Previously I would swear and not understand and try again and miss the tram. Now I immediately know I will have to use the ticketing machine and insert coins etc. (and also swear, but don’t miss the tram).

I think @mde was replying to @R_Bekkers who is on A13 and can see the carrier name all the time (including the toggle in settings). :slight_smile: Not that we don’t believe them, it’s just strange that it’s missing for other people. On the other hand, we already had such issues with A12, where a screenshot button was visible for some people, but not for others (see Software screenshot button is gone for some users).

2 Likes

Sorry Razem: I did not mean to imply anything, just give an unambiguous set of shots.
And yes, there are these strange things where something works here but not there, and there seems to be no reason whatever for the difference. The phenomenon is not limited to Android, we have a thing on mac os on two different machines, and various other places. Sounds like some rattling in a car and you can never find out what is doing the rattling…
:slight_smile:

1 Like

My language setting is german, and there is no option “Network name” below the “auto-rotate screen” option at Display settings. Strange …

Well, this is clearly a bug and should be reported. It might be a known, general A13 bug, a new, Fairphone-specific bug, or any mix of those.

Whatever it is, everyone living near a frontier or traveling a lot needs to know which operator he’s connected to. This is not a “don’t you worry your pretty little head about that” type of technical information, it’s a “lots of $$$” type information!..

I haven’t A13 yet (fortunately!), but I travel a lot and would be very pissed if I lost the “operator display lotto”, and my phone ceased to display the current operator unless I jump through hoops…

:slight_smile: Hi KurtF,
I have reported it,
Indeed a lot of €€€ involved. I once lost 55€ by doing exactly nothing whatever than just not having my phone switched off. It was the charge simply for being “in the system”, but I happened to be in Silicon Valley, No data, no phone, no nothing, just the constant handshakes between the US masts and my phone.
And you describe it well: I don’t want to have to jump through hoops just to see some simple info.
Have a good WE.

1 Like

Well, I did lose the operator display lotto… :angry:

A week ago I noticed my phone, now on A13, doesn’t show the network name anymore. Like @melzrob, I don’t have a “Network Name” option anymore in my Display settings.

@RobertCailliau (or someone else): Did Support answer yet? Did they say something useful? Some hint to bring it back?

I can confirm your post.

This is what my unlocked home screen always looks like:

Well, the accident happened: my FP4 kept nagging me to install an update. I pressed OK, without thinking that this might go from 12 to 13…
So now I lost the all important carrier name.
Can I go back to 12?

I opened a Fairphone Support ticket about this a little over a week ago (December 2nd), but haven’t heard back from them besides the automated reply, which mentions that “due to the popularity of the FP5 and the A13 release”, they are “experiencing a significant increase in the number of support requests”.
They claim a response time of 8-9 working days, which would mean no response before the 14-15th.

I’ll post here whatever they tell me.

Well, they replied, kind of:

Due to the popularity of our new Fairphone 5 and our Android 13 release
for the Fairphone 4, we are experiencing a significant increase in the number of support requests.
With this message we want to assure you that your request has been received, and we are doing our best to get back to you as soon as possible.

:man_shrugging:

i have an FP4 with A13. carrier name is only displayed for esim on the homescreen. on the lock screen, carrier name is displayed for both sims

Just jumping on this topic to say that we are looking into the inconsistency across different OS versions and devices about SPN; we are trying to align as much as possible the behaviors across our devices, I will update you when I can communicate something more reliable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Understood.
FYI: just in the last two days I had three incidents where my phone did not work as desired, and I could not diagnose the problem because I could not see at a glance which carrier I’m on.
I crossed the “carrier border” about 10 times in that period.

In the most recent incident, about two hours ago, an important SMS to my handicapped wife did not leave my phone because it had not switched carrier yet. A notification came a little after I had put the phone back in my pocket, but then I was driving.

And, secondly, for some reason now also the notification dots on app icons have disappeared.

Get both issues fixed please, with a patch, or an app or whatever.

Sigh.

Notification dots have become an option in A13, in Settings/Notifications (bottom of that page), and it defaults to off even if it was on before… :roll_eyes:

(I blame Google’s “don’t you worry your pretty little head about that” policy.)

Yes, KurtF, I know, and I switched it ON, but the dots still don’t appear. I restarted etc., but to no avail…

:frowning: