[Debloater + Google reducer] Unofficial Fairphone 3 debloat script

it is very strange that they were on the home screen. But they may appear in settings as not installed for current user.

Yes, in settings they appear as not installed for current user. Does this mean, they are still on the phone and would be available for another user?

...uninstall -k --user 0 com...

User 0 is the default user. If you were to create anther user in settings, the apps would be there. So the apps are technically still on the phone and taking up space in the system partition. But they cannot run for user 0.

Thanks for that! Now this is clear for me. Have a good day.

Cheers, Ernst

To clarify, although developer access and usb debugging are essential, is it true that the phone does not need to be OEM unlocked or rooted.

Thanks

Yes. You do not need root access (and therefore no unlocked bootloader)

1 Like

Thanks I was concerned about directing someone to do a degoogle.

Thanks for that little script, it is definitely helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @JBNCK
Encourage by this topic I’ve installed ADB on my Raspberery Pi.

Looking at the README.md I noted all the instructions for installing on various platforms so here’s a link to my install and using wifi rather than cable for the Raspberry Pi 4 Buster.

Thanks

In your script why the -k ?

uninstall [-k] PACKAGE
     remove this app package from the device 
     '-k': keep the data and cache directories
1 Like

To be honest, I have to include it but I don’t know why. If I exclude it it gives me some weird Java exception error

1 Like

I imagine that it also helps if you have to undo any of the uninstalls. The data will still be there.

Yes on my ‘Guide’ for a Rasp-pi I noted that :slight_smile:

Damn, it’s empty in here!

Just wanted to say that I might push an update somewhere in the next couple of days removing the -k from the command and including some more apps

A suggestion: could there be a documented option for the script to include the -k? (for easier undoing in case of unexpected consequence)

1 Like

As a command line parameter/ argument? … https://ss64.com/nt/syntax-args.html

1 Like

Announcement

Sorry for being a bit inactive lately :sweat_smile:, but anyways, I am currently learning Python and since it’s a scripting language I will port my debloating script to python. It will be easier to maintain for me since I won’t have to have separate versions for every OS. I can also add features like choosing to keep certain stuff, installing Aurora Store/F-Droid/Aurora Droid and even enabling the Android P theme. I already started working on it and I will post an update here when it’s ready.

Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Hello, thanks for this tool.

I have just re-installed stock OS, and the script does not work. After saying “yes” to every question I can quickly see “permission denied” before all the log messages disappear (saving a log could be useful).

I think this is due to not running adb as root, but on stock OS I don’t have the option of running adb as root. Is there any workaround?

EDIT: I just had to run chmod +x adb from terminal before launching the script (I am on linux). it worked :wink:

Still I would comment the clear_screen() method

2 Likes

Shell script should work on every OS, its just that on Windows the user might have to install a shell (but that’s not impossible, and they need to install Python 3 as well now).

You also use the following code:

if name == “nt”:
adb_command = "adb.exe "
else:
adb_command = "./adb "

Windows follows %PATH% variable as well, and fp3_debloater/adb at main · JBNCK/fp3_debloater · GitHub is a binary which probably does not work on certain OSes and platforms (not in line with your if then else statement). I’m thinking of Linux/ARM64 and macOS/x86-64 and macOS/ARM64 (M1). Instead, of unsetting adb_command you can check if adb_command variable is empty or set argv/$1 as such. You could also inform user to install adb via package manager such as Yum/APT/Pacman (Linux), Homebrew (macOS), or Chocolatey/Winget (Windows).

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.