Cannot Change Colour Palette on Android 13

When Fairphone upgraded the Fairphone 3 to Android 13, “Material You” which includes the individual hue for buttons etc. was first inevitably linked to the main colours of the wallpaper (or individual wallpaper photos). Fairphone introduced “Basic colours” as an alternative option with a later smaller update only. Now if it doesn’t even reflect the wallpaper, that’s new. Let’s see if others can confirm the issue. You might want to report it to Fairphone Support at https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Just one shot in the dark: There might be a system app for this, and perhaps empyting its cache might help. However, it might reset several other settings as well, so I don’t know if it’s worth it.

P.S.: Probably the system app is simply called “Wallpaper and style”. Seems like resetting just this app’s storage and cache might be less risky.

1 Like

Just checked and I cant find anything looking like Material You in the Settings and choosing a picture with sky and trees gives me an ugly brownish colour…
The colours are connected to the lock screen wallpaper btw…

Edit: not the lock screen wallpaper causes the colouring, the last wallpaper set if different are used for lock an homescreen

1 Like

I can not find it either. So it’s not changeable.

But I find the app Wallpaper and style if I search in Settings. The app is 0B big. I’m okay with this color for now. But maybe you’re not, @znicho? Can you send a support request to change this?

Yes, same here. Other Android 13 screenshots show a list of color options derived from the chosen wallpapers on that screen, but that’s missing on the Fairphone.

The colour is fine, but I’m a bit bored of it since I’ve used it a while. With a new phone I’d hoped for a new theme as well to make it feel like a new phone. It also doesn’t match the phone exterior anymore. I’ll put a support ticket in.

There seems to be no link between wallpaper and colour for me. It’s simply stuck on what it was on my previous phone when I migrated.

So maybe you migrated some setting from your old phone which you cant influence now…

@znicho are you sure it doesn’t work? I’m asking because I was also unhappy with the palette (but happy with my background). I changed the background to something with completely different colours, and my palette definitely changed along (green). I put the original background back and now the palette is back to the same sh*tty brown. It seems that if I want this background, I’ll have to live with the brown palette :wink: but it also seems to work as designed (I changed my background like this: Settings > Wallpaper > Wallpaper & style > change wallpaper > Wallpapers (with the palette icon) > Earth > (I took the first one, a space view with lots of black). This turned my palette in something brownish)

EDIT - nevertheless I agree it would be nice to be able to choose the palette among the colours of the wallpaper, like we could on FP3 (wallpaper colors/basic colors).

2 Likes

Followed the exact same steps. Still purple!

Have you restored a back-up from your Pixel, if

1 Like

By the way, is it normal to have only one wallpaper by default ? I am surprised since there were several coming from Fairphone on the FP3.

P.S. : I am surprised to see how different two version of Android 13 can be on different phones made by Fairphone.

Just unpacked my new FP5 and also stumbled over this issue.
Why isn’t this feature available? Any news on it?
Or are there any workarounds?

Maybe… if your current phone have possibility of setting accent color, and you on FP5 in First Run Wizard set importing all/config from it, then on FP5 be set same accent color.

But not know what happen if you in FP5 after change wallpaper, i change only lockscreen wallpaper and accent color keep :slight_smile:

BTW: i transfer from “Motorola Moto G Pro” (with Android 12), where not accent color in system setting, but in custom Motorola app for customising appearance, moto gestures, etc…

For now I’ve “solved” the issue by installing “Repainter” by kdrag0n.

As far as I understand, I should be able to change the theme color from a selection within the “Wallpaper & style” section under settings (as per this article). When I open this section, there are however no more options available, only the ability to change the background and lockscreen image. Is this a bug or is the ability to change theme colors not available on the Fairphone 5? It is working on my Pixel 3a, so I don’t think its an issue with the Android version.

Moved your post here as its a known bug.

I have similiar issue to ChrisK91.

I can confirm that my color palette matches my lockscreen. The problem is that I use Wallpaper Changer that changes them on every screen unlock. The sequence is:

1. I lock the screen.
  2. I hit unlock button. Previous palette color flashes in clock’s font, then it quickly aligns to current lockscreen image color.
  3. I unlock the screen. Background image changes (and so does lockscreen , but at that point it is not really visible anymore). But palette stays the same as it was in point 2, still aligned to previous image.

It’s a small thing, but it’s really annoying. And when I get an image with weird colors, I also get weird palette. I would much more prefer to set one, constant palette.

When I go to “Wallpaper & syle” and have Nova launcher, I have same options as ChrisK91. When I switch back to original Quicksteplauncher and reboot, I have 2 more settings, but still no palette settings.

Do you have any suggestions apart from Repainter (which requires root)?

Should be fixed with todays update

1 Like

Finally it has been fixed! Thank you FP!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.