Camera & Camera2 API - missing features & bugs

Oh, I was blind, thanks :smiley:

1 Like

First there was a camera missing in OpenCamera, now I have one too muchā€¦ :rofl:

Has anyone tested if there is any operational difference between the two versions of the standard camera (IDs 0 and 3)?

Manual Camera also has 4 whereas 2 seem to be the same, not sure if this could be due to the TOF sensor, or the full resolution?

ID 0 should simply be the main camera.

ID 3 is indeed an exciting question. It is a logical camera that consists of the physical main camera (ID 0) and theoretically at least one other physical camera. However, it is unclear which one it is, since this is not apparent in the camera2 report. Maybe the TOF sensor???

1 Like

On stock FPOS, it shows Physical Camera Ids: [0, 2], which would suggest that itā€™s a logical combination of the primary camera and the ultra-wide camera. But Iā€™m not sure how to switch between them. :man_shrugging: Probably using zoom, but which value?

2 Likes

Interesting! I assume that the switch between main camera and wide angle is fully automatic depending on the zoom. Then the ID 3 seems to be fully usable with FPOS. However, not with custom ROMs.
Is the camera2 report under FPOS otherwise the same as with the custom ROMs since the new update or has something else changed?

How would that work? You can zoom in, but not out, so I donā€™t really see under which conditions it could automatically switch from the normal lens to the wide-angle one.

I had assumed the composite camera is the normal camera + ToF sensor, but what does that mean for everyday use? Better/faster (/strongerā€¦) focusing? Or nothing at all?

That been said it would be nice to be able to address the ToF sensor alone, to get some kind of night vision cameraā€¦ :grin:

Thatā€™s what I thought at first, too, but if FPOS says in the camera2 report that itā€™s ID 0 and 2, it must actually be the wide angle camera. :thinking: Which apparently, as you describe, also does not work with ID 3. Or are you on a custom ROM?

:grin: :+1:

No, stock Fairphone OS. The only non-stock part is OpenCamera.
Oh well, itā€™s good weather outside, so I guess Iā€™ll try tomorrow to discover if there is any visible difference between using IDs 0 and 3.

1 Like

Funny, my problem is the other way round, I found the wide angle camera but just donā€™t seem to find in in either Wichaya nor Nikita Gcam port. Maybe they donā€™t have it? How does it look like in BSG?

The 0.6 at the bottom.

3 Likes

In BSG itā€™s right there :slightly_smiling_face: :point_down:

Edit: Too slow :smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot. My versions donā€™t have that switch.

You have to enable auxiliary camera (ID 2):

1 Like

Newer versions of BSG support that by default, you shouldnā€™t have to enable it manually.
Just tried the latest stable Wichaya and that enables wide-angle automagically as well :slightly_smiling_face:

@Ingo which version of BSG are you using? :thinking:

2 Likes

Thats for Nikita

Here some additional info available for BSG from 8.7 v11

I was on 8.1 for Wichaya which probably is too old. Not sure if I want to switch to BSG after seeing the recent comparison photos with (to my taste) unnatural blue in the sky.
But thanks to the pointer from Razem I was able to find it in Nikita.

2 Likes

The latest Wichaya (8.1.101 V 1.6) should work out of the box as well, I tried that one, huh, weird :thinking:

Yeah, pretty weird. In fact I was on 8.1.101 V1.4 and I now tried V1.6. It didnā€™t have a switch for the auxiliary camera by default. When I enable it in the extended setting I get the switch but it doesnā€™t seem to change anything, the image after the switch is just the same as before.
Itā€™s not really important for me, I was just curious after the announcement that 3rd party app can now access the wideangle camera.

1 Like

Did the recent update fix this issue? I donā€™t see it marked as solved yet. Or is it just partially fixed? Didnā€™t follow the entire thread though.

1 Like