Call quality and noise cancellation (regular calls, handsfree, Signal voice messages, Microsoft Teams video calls)

Hi all, I’m experiencing many of the same issues with call quality as posters on here. I frequently get complaints from both normal calls and using apps like Whatspp. I’ve tried to contact fairphone support as suggested here but I’m getting errors saying “Your message could not be sent try again later”.

Thanks to all the folks looking for fixes. I’ll keep checking back but really hope the company gets on to this because it’s fairly basic…

Hello y_cho,

I have the same problems with the phone. It was already send to the repair center Cordon Electronics in France once. But they only checked the mics for proper function, which I already did before and reset the firmware. I had to save all the data beforehand and had to reinstall everything afterwards. A huge effort every time.
Now they want me to send the phone again, this time they promised to to make it better, but I have not much faith in a second repair attempt.

I tried to redo what you suggest in your post. I disabled “mobile data” and then started a phone call. But this not change the problems we hear, those hissing noises, echos and so on. I also disable VoLTE and tried the different Network types: 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM, LTE/WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA/GSM and GSM only. This also doesn’t change the behaviour. Did you do something else? Or did I miss something?

Its almost usable when not using the speaker on the phone. But when using the speaker its not usable at all…
I had the feeling that a call over the signal app works better, but only slightly. I’m really annoyed that this basic feature of the phone is not working properly.

I also by chance happen to have a Pixel 4a, and call quality is much better there. Also hands free calling using the speaker on the phone is much much better there.

Clearly something amiss as this isn’t this is not a feature of the phone it is the main function of a phone, although being a camera and media device is more likely a reason to buy an updated ‘phone’

When it was returned did you try it without installing any apps to check it was working as installing apps and then finding the same issue could be your use state. Cordon would not have tested your use and presumably it was fine for them ??

No, they only said “NO FAILURE FOUND” and “ANALYSIS / TESTING PERFORMED”, “SOFTWARE UPDATE (preventive)” they did not test the sound quality.
In the repair request it was stated “Mic quality is bad: you can hear background noises and interference during calls. Even with a headset. Mic Test passed successfully.” which is a very condensed version of the problems I described them. I also send them sound files I recorded for reference.
I did not test the call quality before installing apps. I had to reinstall several updates from Fairphone until I stated using the phone again.

That’s disappointing, it would have been useful to know what it was on return

You may be correct and it’s probably difficult to ascertain what they really did. Have you since explained that concern to support and received any acknowledgment that your concern is being looked at, especially as you are sending it again.

Anyway better test it for a day, on return, without any custom changes etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just had the first Signal videocall in a while and guess what: that feedback/echo is back again! I have the latest update and iirc this bug was fixed previously? Someone else experiencing the same?

1 Like

Just experienced it today during a regular phone call. When I held the phone directly to my ear, it was okay, but the moment I put the phone farther, the other side could hear an echo. Same when I put it on speaker.

2 Likes

Same here, not sure if it was really fixed though. Teams is also still quite messy. And since I still can’t make regular phone calls, my colleagues have lost their patience with my unusable call quality. I contacted supported, but if this cannot be fixed in one month then my work will provide me with a company phone (iPhone/Samsung/Pixel). Can’t blame them, I’ve been calling with unusable quality for a year now.

2 Likes

Just my few cents: I use to hold the phone in my left hand at my left ear when I am talking and people always complain about strange background sounds and that I sound like a robot. Disabling VoLTE or Google access to the mic didn’t change anything.

But then I tried talking with my right hand at my right ear and, strange enough, now everything seems to be fine. Obviously the mic positions change when you hold the phone onto your left or right ear. At least this worked for me, maybe it helps somebody else?

1 Like

Keeping all mics free is indeed important, but it doesn’t really help for me.

Hi there,

same by me, but I’ve given up.
Sold it at eBay and got a Sony, 1 year old, phone and I’m really satisfied now.
Allthough promised updates are short, it is possible and allowed to Install custom Roms, during warranty or later.

In the end it was an answer from Support Team on top.
I used my FP4 from beginnig with all protections, e.g. case, display, camera.
I had the phone for about 5 months and pulled off the case for about 5 - 10 Times to show it to my Friends.
Once it happened that on the backcover, however, a small tile broke out.
They answered that it was my fault and there is no warranty on that.
The Backcover is, in my opinion, very unstable.

I still think that fairphone is a good idea and project, but in the end not usable for me.

1 Like

By now I’ve opened my FP4 10 times as well. I don’t have damage, I hope it stays like that.

Did you open your phone as shown below? This is a bit off topic, but I suppose we won’t digress more than this exchange.

Yes, i did. Actually it happened when i took off the original FP Cover.
Somehow the backcover released also and small tile brake.
I wrote this to Support, documented with photos.
But received the negative reply and suggestion to order a new backcover.
And not to forget that protection of FP4 is not cheap.

1 Like

Hi all,

Since i have my FP4, when i put speaker on call and try to speak, people always tells me they have a lot of background noise and that it is not clear at all.

So basically, either I put headphones either I use it close to my hear.

Have you experimented it?

Thanks,

I moved your post to this existing, its a bit lengthy and so we still have all feedback together

1 Like

Hello,

I already submitted a support request for this but I figured I could add my experience to the list here too.

I’ve been trying to find a voip app over the past couple of days to stay in contact with family as I’ll be traveling for a while soon.

Since people often tell me that it’s difficult to understand me (quiet and/or robotic) over normal phone calls (3/4G), I figured I should test out the audio and make sure voip is working well enough before I leave.

I’ve now tried video calls on Signal, Telegram and Skype. All of which have various different issues on my FP4.

Signal has awful echo and extremely poor video frame rate on the other end. They can hear themselves loud and clear and my video only gives them a frame every couple of seconds.

Telegram is also unusable. The other side can barely hear me at all. “I have to move my ear next to the speaker like on a normal phone call.”

Finally Skype is quite the joke. I aborted testing because the other end sounds like a chipmunk to me…

I’m on FPOS A.170. I also tried iode 3.2, which has the exact same issues.
The internet connection is very good on both ends.

2 Likes

Thanks for also reporting this. Anyone who has similar issues, please #contactsupport. They prioritize based on open tickets.

My mother got a Fairphone 4 for her birthday but is experiencing strong issues with the loudspeaker mode when calling others. It seems to pick up noise around her and produces an unbearable experience to her, she’s discussed getting a refund. Since I’d be rather unhappy with that since she’d get a bad experience and would buy from less ethical manufacturers, I’d like to know if anybody has a workaround or something similar for that issue. She has already texted support, but its solution (turning off microphone permission for Google) doesn’t work and she hasn’t heard much else from support. Let me know if you have a solution.

TL;DR:
Microphone during call picks up bad audio, any way to fix?

2 Likes

A few side issues

• You have posted in a Dicuss Products category taggedd F2 so i will ‘move’ it
  • Please search for similar issues for example as a few others have posted

I have asked your post be moved to the following topic, there are others too . . .

So could you specify probably a bit?

Does she have issues with the microphone on hands free calls, so the other party has issues hearing her or cant she hear well via the loudspeaker?

Reg the first she is not alone and there was some improvement but not for all, extensive discussion here. for phone calls it seems to be connected to the mobile provider

Once you confirmed I can move the post accordingly.