Call quality and noise cancellation (regular calls, handsfree, Signal voice messages, Microsoft Teams video calls)

The first issue, yes. Teams for sure will be just as bad :slight_smile:

I agree, my Provider (Congstar / T-Mobile :de:) supports VoLTE with my FP4. No 2G calls, absolutely no issues.

Microsoft Teams is a curious one, I gladly donā€™t have to use it :smirk:

2 Likes

Cool, thank you again for answering. Well i am quite a techie person, letā€™s say that i know how to build work-arounds, so a lot of stuff wonā€™t bother me much. But comming from Nokia, the king of call quality in my opinion (having used a lot of other garbage that do not come close) and being a fella that actually calls on people, these feature should be something that just works, no matter whatā€¦ because is a phone. Calling is basic and should be great, not just good, half good, or decent, GREAT! Anyhow i know a lot of devices have problems cause well, we are in the speed era where nobody gives a rats ass before releasing something, but call should ALWAYS workšŸ˜…. That is what i ment with never heard of such problems, well at least, caused by software. I mean there were/are problems caused by poor design (ahem, apple, samsung, xiaomi) but software? Well, at least you took my untrust out of the equation, they should be paying you for the offered support. I though will be waiting to see how nokia x30 stands at its release. This device was my first choice, now has become a second or even lower. I love the idea, but the idea should workšŸ¤˜. Iā€™ll wait and see. Thank you again.

1 Like

The call quality may depend on the carrier compatibility. So the hardware is fine, itā€™s something that needs to be identified properly and then get fixed with the carrier. My carrier will probably have compatibility in the update after the upcoming one.

If you are in doubt, you can always try the phone for 14 days. Maybe your carrier is already fully supported.

Well, i owe a LIDL sim, in this country LIDL connect has cells bought from vodafone. So i wonā€™t risk the buy before i know it is working. I olso wonā€™t change the sim, thatā€™s for sure. I just bought it, 6 months ago.
As always, thanks againg for support. iā€™ll wait for a few more months and see if the x30 could be a better buy or not, tough changing batteries and reparing your-self is something i always wanted. Hope tough that this repairing yourself does not become a 3 months interval trend, as some reviewers were complaining on trustpilot.

Best answer you can expect is from Fairphone itself. Weā€™re not really support, weā€™re just users/enthousiast. Best is to #contactsupport with your question to find out if LIDL is supported in your country and if not, if thatā€™s planned. Then you could try out the phone for 14 days, and return it if itā€™s not to your liking. You most likely donā€™t have to change the physical SIM, a SIM not older than 2 years should not give issues (unless damaged). Unless you mean changing your carrier? That depends if Fairphone has a contract with LIDL or not. You can get that answer from Fairphone or your carrier itself. I havenā€™t seen people here with broken Fairphones yet, at least not because of manufacture faults.

The ethos of Fairphone is fair trade for the miners and manufacturere, repairabilty although a boon and no doubt targets and audience I would hope that fair trade trumps the repairabilty and user inconvenience etc.

This was definitely true once, but it has actually become a matter of individual taste. Calling was similarly broken for me, but was fixed at some point ā€“ and I make and receive calls so rarely that Iā€™m not entirely sure what fixed it, but it may well have been the (silent) enabling of VoLTE/WiFi calling for the Fairphone 4 by my operator (iD, a UK virtual operator).

For me, the phone is mostly an Android apps platform, a textual communications tool (mostly WhatsApp but also tethering etc) and secondarily a camera: actually making and receiving phone calls is so rare for me and for most people I have contact with that I often forget the phone is even capable of it. This is not rare.

3 Likes

This is very relative and although I donā€™t want to give Fairphone a bad review here, but WhatsApp was for a long time broken as well, along with some other apps. The mics were not properly configured and thus voice calls/messages were horrible. I call quite a lot, especially since working from home is still a thing. Microsoft Teams is still broken. Calling is/was broken, basically in any way. And then thereā€™s the camera that started in a poor state for months after release. Something people do use a lot. There are more issuesā€¦ And my carrier has issues now for more than a year. I donā€™t really agree with your summary :nerd_face: Fairphone has a clear QA problem. Especially since these issues could be found by just using the phone for an hour. Itā€™s almost as if they donā€™t use their own product. When a phone is deemed ready for the market it should be able to do all these things. I really hope the coming Android 12 release wonā€™t reset all the progress made so far. That would not be fair to the users that already had to use the phone as if theyā€™re beta testers.

2 Likes

Yesterday I did a test with another Fairphone 4 user. This was a loooot of FUN! In the center of
Marseille on regular GSM call.

• I have the BUG - on free mobile France - where people hear me like a robot with 100% 5G connexion (also I hear them very clear). My phone was changed 1 month ago .
  • He has the bug where there is echo on lound speaker on is 2 month old phone/ He was on Bouygue telecom

When we where kids using talky walkies it was working better !
We where in the center of Marseille with good covergae.

• He couldn t hear me at all like usual on a GSM call
  • His fairphone on Bouygue could only connect in a certain spot of the 400m2 coworking ! It was in difficulte to test his echo problem since he couldn t hear my answers to his questions :smiley:

2 persones on fairephone 4 trying to discuss its like a non speaking person talking to a
deaf person :smiley: MY GOD FAIRPHONE DO SOMETHING. THIS IS A JOKE!

I am using a Framework laptop, which is also a very challenging innovative repairable design (laptop). After ONE year the V2 of the product is working like the best laptop of its class ā€¦ It Fair repairable, AND WORKING.

1 Like

Glad to see you are laughing about it :smiley: Strange that the topic is tagged as ā€˜solvedā€™ when you have such issues.

So that could be down to what either their reception, which is doubtful as the issue or your mic software. It could be many combinations sadly.

Your friendā€™s could be down to Bouygue the possibilities are endless

So I wonder if all this is carrier related??

On the Framework note see . . .
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/framework-laptop-launch-a-repairable-upgradable-notebook/70862/83

Hi there. No my friend in hollifdays in marseille is from germany and has the same thing there on O2.

Concidering my problem it is not a mic problem. I can have signal calls and people hear me. I can send a vocal and it s lound and clear. It son GSM signal.
It s funny a friend asked me if I was calling on Signal App , cause he hear me on a robot like ton. People are not used anymore to such bad GSM call quality.

It fun also to see this friend with a 2 motnh old phone, he his like me 6 motnhes ago thinking he is going to save the world with some non functionnal phone :smiley: 6 monthes later you just realise that you need a functional phone to call people for business and friends! And what happen if I need to call the hospital ??? ā€œSorry we don t hear you. Feel free to dieā€

Let hope for the best, that Fairphone make hone call work !

2 Likes

Itā€™s not solved, please check the reply that was tagged as such. I canā€™t update the top post anymore. So the only way to notify people of the latest status is to do that.

Can a TL4 user copy paste the checklist of the solved reply to the top post? Then I can mark it as unsolved again. Or maybe someone from @staff.

2 Likes

It is all a bit of a mystery. I can use Signal to video a friend in Ghana|Portugal with a perfect reception both video and audio wise.

There are occasions in the UK when I get an echo but often I can hang up and call again with no problem.

This problem for sure is still present. Could you please direct your complains towards FP support? We canā€™t really help you. You may have to help support a bit. Say that you have 2G call quality while using VoLTE (I suppose you verified your carrier has full support for that, otherwise thatā€™s the issue of course). Otherwise also note to support that it may be a codec issue.

Ask your friend that has the speaker phone issue to also #contactsupport. Thatā€™s the only way to notify FP and help them flag issues.

1 Like

Done :+1:
Let me know if you want something changed, I could also turn it into a wiki, so you can edit it yourself again :thinking:

3 Likes

Wiki sounds fine, but I can do that too with my ā€œpay gradeā€ :nerd_face: Ohw wait, I canā€™t anymore. Please do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Normally when there is no option its not supportedā€¦

Still, itā€™s one of the debugging methods. Having the option there doesnā€™t mean it works (well). Or is present.

HOPE is back!
I have switched my phone to 4G only and could talk for 1 hour with someone yesterady for the first time ! THe peson on the other side never said ā€œyou talk like a robotā€ or " are you calling me from the jungle" ! For the first time in 6 month my own friend didn t hang up after 2 minutes call!
I don t want to be too positive, but at least in 6 motnhes I could give ONE single phone call with my 570ā‚¬ phone !!!

PS: I had tried this of course with the first phone they sent me , with no luck. THis second phone they send me might want to work on 4Gā€¦ lets see if I can give a 2nd phone call !
I noticed aswell the UPLOAD seems a little more consistent in 4G than 5G.

EDIT: Another call today: went bad and my relative wanted to hang up ā€¦As usuallā€¦because of the robot voice over signalā€¦ switshed to regular GSM, was samething !!!
So I decided to switsh OFF the 4G signal, and tada the GSM call started to work !

=> So my conclusion is that the bad Upload on GSM is due to the phone trying to have Data+ voice GSM.
=> The solution would be to set data to 3G when a GSM call comes inā€¦like my pixel 4a was doing (before their improced update) : pixel would not go on the internet when I was on a GSM call, at least I could be heard on the phone call. (in their following update 6 motnhes later both was working at the same time).

2 Likes