Black Screen/Booting Issue After FPOS C.073 Android 13 Update

Thanks for the hint using a USB-C dock to backup my data.
Since I’ve never thought about doing it that way, how will it be done? I am worried about the installed apps, their settings and my other data.
And how would I use that backup to restore it in case I need to?
Doesn’t need to be a detailled explanation, a brief version is just fine.

EDIT: To be clear, wouldn’t Titanium Backup suit just fine for me?

Cool!! :smiley: :+1:

Especially that we found a solution to get the broken FP4’s working again together. And all this without any help by any Fairphone emplyee.

Actually that was fun and it was some decent trouble shooting work.

So, everyone affected: enjoy using your phones again. :slightly_smiling_face:

And the USB dock is a nice thing to have anyway. Together with Kodi or Mediathek apps for instance, you can turn your phone into a full media center.

3 Likes

Well, appearently I did. :sunglasses:

I used to try several Custom Roms before coming back to stock, I can’t even say, which ones I didn’t try.

Today I thought I’d put my free time to good use and prepare myself for the black screen after updating. I tested, if my USB-C dock would work with my FP4 and I backed up all my apps and data. When I finally started the update everything just worked fine. :smiling_face:
After ten minutes or so it just rebooted with Android 13, stable and persistent. Only thing: I lost my root status, but that is perfectly fine compared to what I was prepared for. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Speaking of root: Does anyone have the current boot.img ready to share, please? :innocent:

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Android 13 upgrade causes FP4 to freeze

What I do not understand is the fact, that the display driver is going nuts after the upgrade.
Taking into consideration, that everyone who had a custom ROM Installed, went back to original OS with the full flash/wipe method, it should clean all the partitions / rewrite all crucial partitions needed for FP OS.
Now when you upgrade, how can this go wrong only for those ppl with custom Roms? I am a bit baffled, that this is happening and this leads me to the question, if the entire go back to Stock is even a real go back to stock.

2nd point: is there a way for FP to include a full wipe in the recovery?

1 Like
1 Like

To me it sounds more like a configuration/setup difference.
Which means your phone on the SW side is obviously not the same so it’s not stock. Same non stock as if you reinstall windows on a OEM laptop.
There are several options on the reason in my opinion:
If people for instance flashed A12 instead of A11.
then it could be also that the Factory image is different to the release image (release image has some fixes which have been only patched in stock).
To know if that’s possible we would need to know, if FP4 got manufactured in different batches and if the flash the FP4 images always the same and then update or if they change the image.

Thx!

I reckon, I need to extract the boot.img myself from payload, since it’s not directly included in the ota.zip, is it?

Appearently, the problem seems to sit somewhere else.

Today we had one user, who mentioned he had black screen issues without ever touching the OS or the bootloader.
And we have me, who definately had several custom roms installed and still got the update installed perfectly fine.

No idea, maybe its rather here?

https://code.fairphone.com/projects/fairphone-4/kernel.html

1 Like

I moved that post, as this was rather talking about a screen freezing maybe black, however overall working.

You are my personal hero of the day! :heart_eyes:
Thank you very much, that saves me quite some time and effort! :partying_face:

Hello,
First of all thanks a lot for this thread, it is full of useful advice and hope to me :slight_smile:
I have the black screen problem, in the past I installed LOS but then I went back to FPOS an locked the bootloader again.
Following the comments, I tried two different USB-C docks with the following results.
I am able to see the four blue points dancing until the screen with a clock and a lock appears, but unfortunately no mouse or keyboard inputs looks to have any effect, ofc I tried the sequence space - pin - enter but without luck.
During the tries it happened that the lock screen turned black and pressing the space it came back, because of this I guess the keyboard is working. But no way I can enter the home screen…
I am still resisting to do a factory reset because I have the hope to be able to make a backup of my data…
Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @Txor ,

What is your keyboard layout ? and what touch did you use ? (num pad ?).
For me, I use a french keyboard (AZERTY) and I notice that the keyboard is by default in QWERTY. I use num pad without problems. If you use numerical touch above letters it can be difficult if you don’t use qwerty.

Keep in mind that you see nothing when you type your pin code.

The mouse is working after enter your pin code and after your phone is unlock.

I hoppe you will resolve your issue.

Julien

2 Likes

Hi all,

I want to share my experience and my thoughts about this issue.
(Sorry for my bad english)

First, I use to have IODE OS before I re install the official rom Android 12 FPOS in september. I went to foreign countries for my hollidays and need the google stack to travel. I take many pictures during my trip and one day I received the notification to upgrade to android 13…
I did it and cannot use my phone anymore for the last week of my hollidays.

My mystakes :

1. I didn’t take time to backup. At the beginning of my hollidays I did not have internet but when I applied the upgrade I had so…
  2. I didn’t reboot the phone before the upgrade.

Fairphone positives things :

1. They answer to my support ticket
  2. They have a community forum (thankfully)

Fairphone things that irritates me.

1. When they answer to me, they give me the possibility to send them my phone to restore android but they will erase my datas because of RGPD. I am agree with that procedure but…
  2. They didn’t give me other option, they just give me basic informations (you have to backup your phone, but I cann’t anymore… You can use a recovery compagny to get back your datas).

I’m a little annoyed and disappointed by the fairphone compagny because they have engineers, they can give me the informations I found in this thread ! They can give other informations about what is going on and how I can try to recover my datas (photos and videos of my trip). They were not helpfull at all about that in the offcial reply. Perhaps there are some fairphone engineers in this forum who give us helpfull informations but the offcial answer to my ticket has to be accurate and more than just an “erase datas” and “use recovery compagny” (IMHO).

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your informations and good tips. It worked for me. I was able to retrieve my data and flash the official ROM android 13 to my FP4.

Thanks

Julien

Received my FP4 from repairs again. Tried the upgrade and receive this error now:

The only thing I can do is reset and then start again from A12

Have you tried again multiple times already?

However, why would you start with A12 after a factory reset? From the yellow part it shows the A13 version, so with the factory reset you can start from scratch with A13.

What have they done at Cordon?

So at Cordon, the have done some “software repairs” and then send the device back. Started it today and it was A12. The update was provided to A13, which I did. After the reboot it gives this screen in recovery. Try again gives me the same issue. Factory reset brings me back to A12 once I restart.

Did you test, because I dont think so. Factory reset does not touch the system it only erases your data and settings.

And thats really without words, why dont they just do the upgrade to check it works this time?

2 Likes

Yap, tested. This happens when I do the factory reset in recovery: