Battery problems (wrong charging status / battery might be dying)

I’ve had similar issue for a while, but I’ve just found this topic now. Overall, my FP1’s battery seems to drain a bit quicker than before (I used to be able to do 3-4 days with it, whereas now I get 1-2 days max), but the most annoying part is that it goes from 15% to 4% to 0% in seconds.

Good to know this is a recognized issue. I’ll contact FP support and hope the new battery will fix it.

1 Like

Damn, I’m afraid I may have a similar issue soon… :confused:

Exactly the symptoms of my phone as well. My fiancée also have a Fairphone that he got one week after me, we are doing the same thing with our phones but while I have to charge it three times a day he usually has ~40% battery left in the evening, even though he uses a pebble and I do not.

No signs of physical bloating though.

@Sokin, did you have the same problems?

@Lovisan, I don’t know, can you check your battery life history and post the screenshot?

I have the same problems as @Spicy

"This morning i got up around 08:00 am with a 100% battery, half an hour later it was 92% without using it, if i use it i can practically see the percentage drop. Now, almost 4 hours later, my FP is at 45%. Does someone know how to solve this?

Some background info:

• It didn’t occur right after the update but i do use Kola Nut 1.8.
  • I had the 14% bug and the 15% to 1% in seconds bug but those are gone.
  • I use Juice Defender and followed some of the tips to lengthen the life of my battery."

To everyone who is following this thread: These tips might help you have more capacity again!

[quote=“Stefan,topic:5372,post:7”]At FP they told me that the battery has its own software inside, which sometimes needs to be reset.

1. Use the battery up until it is below 0% (until the phone dies).
  2. Take the battery out of the phone.
  3. Plug your charger into the phone (still without battery).
  4. Insert your battery. (This will give the battery a kick)
  5. Charge your phone in one go until 100%. Do not boot.[/quote]

Edit: It works for me! :slight_smile: I get through the day easily again! :slight_smile: Edit2: You might need to follow the procedure multiple times to notice a significant improvement of the battery’s capacity.
:warning: If you have a bloated battery you should contact support immediately. A bloated battery is dangerous because it can burst!

1 Like

:uk: I tried your proposal. Is it normal that the charging status didn’t start at 0%. In our case it starts at 13%.
When I removed the battery, I noticed that the middle of the battery is a little bit thicker then the boarder. Is this normal, or is the battery starting to bloat?
Best regards,
Tuffi

:de: Ich habe deinen Tipp mal ausprobiert. Ist es normal, das die Ladeanzeige nicht bei 0% anfängt? In unserem Fall 13%…
Bei raus nehmen der Batterie ist mir aufgefallen, das diese zur Mitte hin leicht dicker ist als am Rand. Ist das normal oder fängt sie an zu bloaten?
Danke und Gruß,
Tuffi

edit: Now it’s stuck at 39%

@Tuffi Hard to tell from the distance, if your battery is bloating. A good indicator is to check, if the back cover still fits on the phone. Also look at the pictures posted in the other thread about bloating batteries and see if there are similarities.

Die ist ganz bestimmt zum ‘bloaten’ angefangen!

I had a new problem yesterday :worried:

I shut down the phone with a charge of appr. 50%.
One detail: When shutting down, the screen goes black, then, after some more seconds, there is a short vibration. This went way faster yesterday, no idea if this means anything.

After a few hours, I turned the phone back on.
Directly after booting, it showed a capacity of 3%!

Additionally, all 4 entries in the quick access menu were gone! The latter happened for the 2nd time already, again directly after booting.

Are these issues related?

My battery is one with the 14% bug. But it does not look bloated in any way.

I did not try the battery reset suggested above. Will try that next.

1 Like

My symptoms were similar and got a bit better now, after I had tried the battery reset. I think though, it needs multiple goes to improve the battery’s capacity.

After the incident mentioned above, the 15% bug was gone! The battery lasted considerably longer, too.

3 Likes

Hi, I was wondering whether others also face the following problem. My battery runs out extremely quick (although I put the screen brightness the lowest, or turn off wi-ifi and 3F), it takes approximately half a day before my battery is dead after being fully charged.

Also, the charging goes much slower than in the beginning. Turned off, it takes up to 2,5 hours; turned on, it takes 3 up to 4 hours.

Besides this, I noticed that since some weeks the ‘charging percentage’ does not seem to be correct. I.e., sometimes the lamp turns green while the charging percentage shows 82%.

I got my phone in September 2014. Two months ago I ordered a new battery & charger (perhaps the problem was linked to my old charger which I re-used), but the problem quickly began to appear again. I always try to make sure I only charge when the battery is completely dead and I always try to charge up to 100%.

Is anyone else facing this problem? (Does this problem fall under garanty?)

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers

Hi @Joni: I moved your post here, as this thread already deals with the problems you describe. Please read this post and tell us, if it helps. :sunny:

So far this helping idea did not work for me. I have serious charging problems. I hope it will be fixed by the new update next week.

@Joni and @Freddy_de_Vries, did you check if your battery is bloated ? :warning:

The battery is OK. Not bloated.

1 Like

Ok that’s good. :smile:
Could you tell us a bit more about your charging problems?
Also look here for a little collection of battery related problems, solutions and workarounds.

Same problems as the others… Some months ago i could use the phone for several days. Now i have to charge it every day. And when it gets to 15 % the battery load drops superfast. There might be a charger problem as well but anyway, the battery loading takes several hours… Actually one of my chargers cannot be the Problem, as my friend also uses it and does not have any problems.

I will take a look on the forum if there might be help.