Battery bloated

Dear David,

Have you already written the Fairphone support team via the form at www.fairphone.com/asksupport ? They can best help you if you write them there.

Hi, @lifewontwait: our support team will be writing you back by email shortly.

Thanks for your patience,
Joe

2 Likes

So i just heard back from Support - the batteries for the second batch are currently out of stock and they expect to be able to ship a new one until the end of next week. Maybe this info is useful for other people too…

5 Likes

Hello, I am experiencing the same problem, the battery is bloated, the back cover can’t be closed. I have my phone for one year now. I will do some investigation myself, as I found there are no batteries in store.
As I see your post is over half year old…was this solved somehow?
Thank you. Have a nice day.

Lisbeth, the batteries are not on the store right now because they are held for warranty cases. That means you can definitely get a replacement battery without delay right now. Just contact Fairphone support.

5 Likes

Today I noticed that my battery is bloated also. I called with Fairphone (I live in the Netherlands). Sietse of Fairphone opened a ticket for me, I replied and in no time I had a mail with the ordernumber for a new battery at no costs for me. Beginning of next week I will have a new battery.
Many thanks to Sietse of Fairphone for his quick handling.
So there is at the moment a very small amount of batteries at Fairphone, only available as replacement for a bloated battery.

8 Likes

I’d like to update on my earlier post:
Even though it took very long, this morning my new battery arrived at home.
Luckily I got a full refund for my battery and the support was fairly uncomplicated and clear.

Hopefully Fairphone delivers replacements faster in the future.
Anyway, thanks for the support.

4 Likes

Yeah the battery was out of stock for a while but now they got a delivery of a few thousand new ones and they are back in stock.
Hope it will last for a while. :smile:

PS: To clarify: Even Support only had some very old, possibly not working anymore, batteries left and now they have plenty new ones. And as @ben sais if you have a bloated battery you get a free replacement from support.

3 Likes

Thats great! Please remember: If your battery is bloated for no good reason, that is a hardware defect and you can get a free replacement battery when you contact support. The process is fairly straight-forward and fast.

3 Likes

Thanks to the Fairphone Support, the same issue with the battery on FP1, 1st batch, was resolved absolutely smoothly. The support technician was very responsive and even though I had to change the delivery address after order, they immediately sent it to the new address.

3 Likes

Dear Fairphone team,
my battery is also bloated and I also opened a ticket (request 64811) last tuesday and quickly received san answer. After sending pictures on wednesday, and making a new account, I didn’t receive any answer. Some people have opened a ticket and received a new battery during the time I was waiting for an answer, so I wonder what happend to the request.
I know this is a short period, but I need a working smartphone.

1 Like

Hast Du schon mal in Amsterdam angerufen? Das sollte am sichersten die Sache beschleunigen. Keine Scheu! :blush:

Nein, habe nicht angerufen -
But I just received a mail that a battery is on its way. Thank you!!

1 Like

Better than nothing: my own request (64998) has been completely ignored (it is now 8 days).

Sorry for the delay in response. I understand the support team is now in contact with you over private email.

Last week I did reported (request #70017) a bloated battery. On Thursday Fairphone did ask me to send a photo and the battery number + to create another Fairphone account. Saturday I did managed to get a camera to make the picture and did send the information to Fairphone. After that, no (human) reaction from Fairphone. I did send a reminder but still no reaction.
I cannot use my Fairphone for over a week now.

Is Fairphone support still that bad as in posts above and must I wait weeks for a replacement?
In other words, must I buy a new phone (not a Fairphone) earlier then planned?

Have you done as suggested here?

Contact our Support Team with the subject line “Bloated battery” and we will make your issue a priority.

Yes. The first reply was quick with a promise that the battery will be replaced when I send a photo and battery number. But keeping the promise is something else.

I got a mail today from Fairphone. Because a support member was on holiday this week they did not reply promptly. Also the battery are out of stock, again.
The few thousand batteries from August 27 are now gone in two months?!
Does this mean that all first batch Fairphones suffer from bloated/bad batteries?
They say that the bloated batteries are dangerous. Why did they do not do a recall? Why do they not warn users by sending all users a mail about it?

Probably not. We’d hear a lot more about it here on the forum if 25.000 phone were defective. Though it may be the case that there is an exceptionally bad batch of batteries, or the design of the phone makes the battery more susceptible to physical shock when the phone is dropped, or the thermal design of the phone isn’t optimal (see for background for example this CNET article on battery and lifetime). There’s a thread on smartphone failure rates in which some information may (or may not) surface soon.

Any battery of the type used in the Fairphone (and most other smartphones) is susceptible to this problem. Unless the failure rate is exceptionally high, I don’t think there will be a mass recall and they’ll stick to warranty exchanges for those users affected. Going onto the forum (and support pages) of any other manufacturer will list a number of threads about swollen batteries, it’s not a unique or new problem. You’d get recalls if it turns out that the battery, on failure, doesn’t swell but for instance explodes or catches fire.

There are at least 10.000 devices out there that have a battery that is nearly 2 years old (and another 50.000 that are anywhere up to two years old), at which point battery performance can be quite degraded depending on how heavily it was used. Rechargeable batteries still suffer from aging effects, and this is normal for the product type. This is why battery warranty is usually shorter than the warranty on the device itself - battery expected lifetime is always shorter than the expected lifetime of the device. So people are starting to replace batteries that haven’t failed, but have started to wear out based on normal wear and tear.

There’s nobody who can lend you a phone for a couple of weeks? Seems a bit drastic and wasteful to throw out a phone just because you’re waiting for a warranty replacement part.

4 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

My experience with other products with batteries are that batteries tend to decline slowly over time. Not suddenly in a couple of weeks.
I noticed about 2 months ago that the battery of the Fairphone did started to decline somewhat. Three weeks ago it did drain within a day. Two weeks ago the battery did go down from 100% to 15% in 2.5 hours. (After that it did go down to 4% in minutes as always.) Because I know someone that did get a bloated battery I looked at my battery carefully I noticed that it was not straight anymore. If I did not knew about the issue I would have bought a new battery myself outside the warranty. Two days later the battery did drain in an one half hour! The defect is now clearly visible. I think several people that are buying a new battery do that without knowing that the battery has a defect, just thinking the battery is from a poor quality.
Off course others are buying a battery as spare in case they cannot reload the battery when it is empty.

I planned to replace my Fairphone somewhere beginning next year because I have several issues with the Fairphone. Original I did plan to do several years with this phone not knowing about the issues and thinking Android will be updated for one or two years. Before the Fairphone I did use second hand phones till they where 4 years old.
I thinking about a Windows phone because the (security) update police of Microsoft.