Battery bloated

Hi,
I bought mine on ifixit. Its the original FP battery. Maybe you can find the store in the US or they can ship to the US from here: http://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Parts/Android-Parts/Fairphone/Fairphone-FP1U-Battery.html

It just checked and it seems they only ship within Europe but maybe you can talk to them - who knows.

2 Likes

hey, my battery is bloating aswell. been 16 months now since i have the phone and id say this is not tolerable. my iphone 3 lasted 5 fucking years. yes. apple. 5. and it would have done more if the fairphone hadnt come out :wink:

how do i file for warranty cause i think it should be done this way (i ordered a new battery already, cause i cant not use the phone: order number: 300017253 )

cheers

You need to direct this to the support team. The forum is only populated by fellow FP users like you and me. :wink:

Click here to file a new request! Be sure to include your order number so FP support is aware of it and you donā€™t have to pay extra.

Edit: Also include a photo in your request, to prove that your battery is bloated. This will speed up the process.

1 Like

i too was unfortunate to have a bloated battery. first i noticed that it was drained quick than that the lid did not close. then i googled and found this forum.

on Sunday i send in a request with the fairphone service desk with photoā€™s of my battery.
on Monday morning i got friendly reply. i had to fill out 2 forms on for investigation and one for a new battery
some hours later there was an order of 0ā‚¬ for a new battery
Tuesday holland had a free day but i did get a tracking code for gls and could see my battery arrived in Amsterdam
on Wednesday 15:00 i recived my battery and could use my phone again :smiley:

thanks fairphone!

8 Likes

Maybe it is time to reach out for more people and include this topic in a Blog or Monthly Newsletter or something? I wonder how many people out there do not realize how serious a bloated battery can be. What do you think @Sietse?

3 Likes

I would also add an image :smiley:

6 Likes

I totally understand you, but so far there is no real plans for this.
I will take this up with communications.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

My Fairphone is also affected by this issue. Its battery has suddenly started to lose its capacity a few weeks ago (it only lasts for a few hours now) and ā€“ as I just noticed after opening the back case ā€“ has begun to bloat. I even had trouble to reattach the back lid properly.

Here are some images how it looks right now (itā€™s getting worse I guess):

I didnā€™t handle my phone in any improper way and used regular equipment and schedule while charging the battery (avoiding overloading, draining it to 0%, etc.). I canā€™t detect any fault on my end and noticed that the Fairphone team has filed a known issue for this situation here: https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203321199-Trouble-with-battery-it-seems-to-be-swelling

I hope I get a replacement ASAP as I donā€™t have a replacement phone at hand right now and feel really uncomfortable charging the device, let alone keeping it next to my bodyā€¦

Everyone who is also affected will find further information on how to proceed in the link to known issues.

1 Like

Hi at all, I have read about the problem within lithium batteries and think it is exactly what happens to the FP batteries: the dendrites. I did look up an article about the issue here: https://newscenter.lbl.gov/2013/12/17/roots-of-the-lithium-battery/

Since my battery is loosing capacity I wanted to buy a new one. But there seem to be none left. Following @m2u_germanyā€™s link it says out of stock, and on the Fairphone store there are only chargers and cases. Is there a possibility left to buy new batteries?

You need to contact the Fairphone Team via support. Only they can tell you if there are batteries left.

1 Like

Had a bloated battery, too. My story ended in a very satisfying way:

Friday May 29th:
Late at night my bloated battery pops off the back cover of my Fairphone. I figure this is a serious issue, find this forum thread, write a mail to Fairphone and get an automatic response.

Monday June 1st:
I receive a personal mail from the Fairphone people along with a form that I have to fill out, sign manually, scan and return.

Friday June 5th:
I send back the form (in the days in between I was distracted by other tasks, just my ā€˜faultā€™ not to return the form earlier).

Tuesday June 9th
The new (and free of charge) battery is in my mail.

Once more - pretty satisfying!

6 Likes

Hi All

I think I have a record bloater here - I had put aside my Fairphone in a box as it stopped charging 5 months ago. This is what I found today - I think this explains why it stopped chargingā€¦
Karin

7 Likes

:warning: Be very careful with this battery!!! It might explode and cause damage to you!!! See:

Send your above picture to Fairphone and demand a replacement battery (here is info on how to do so).

4 Likes

I have the same problem. I hope Iā€™ll be helped as fast as the others. Cause it is not easy to live without a fairphone for a while. My battery is bloated as wellā€¦

Hi all
I just have currently the same experience. Bloated battery, the phone doesnā€™t work anymore.I contacted Fairphone support, they asked for a pic and the serial number of the battery - I sent this to them - afterwards complete silence since 2 weeks!! I need the mobile for my own business. Batteries are sold out in the Fairphone shop. I tried hard to find another type of battery which would fit to the Fairphone - havenā€™t found any. Now I just had to buy another mobile. There is NO NO information about when they will be able to supply replacement batteries. Iā€™m deeply disappointed - this is a no go to treat customers
Peter

2 Likes

Peter, I think you should try to call. Also, letā€™s see if we can summon @anon90052001 here - heā€™ll help, I hope.

1 Like

Hi @peterpeter,

Iā€™m really sorry to hear this. We do not want to treat Fairphone owners in this way. I donā€™t know what happened in this instance, but I have alerted our support team who will respond to you by private email today.

Sincere apologies again and I hope we can improve our support processes so these kinds of incidents do not happen again.

Joe

5 Likes

Hey everyone, this is my battery right now:

Please get the Battery back into stock immediately. Even though I can and I am willing to rapair my phone, Fairphone is hindering me to do so. Against your concept, isnā€™t it?

1 Like

Send the picture to support. I believe they removed the battery from the spare parts shop to have enough left for warranty issues, which your case definitely is.

3 Likes

Just adding my name here to the list of people suffering from a bloated battery, waiting for a reaction from the support teamā€¦