Battery bloated

I totally understand you, but so far there is no real plans for this.
I will take this up with communications.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

My Fairphone is also affected by this issue. Its battery has suddenly started to lose its capacity a few weeks ago (it only lasts for a few hours now) and – as I just noticed after opening the back case – has begun to bloat. I even had trouble to reattach the back lid properly.

Here are some images how it looks right now (it’s getting worse I guess):

I didn’t handle my phone in any improper way and used regular equipment and schedule while charging the battery (avoiding overloading, draining it to 0%, etc.). I can’t detect any fault on my end and noticed that the Fairphone team has filed a known issue for this situation here: https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203321199-Trouble-with-battery-it-seems-to-be-swelling

I hope I get a replacement ASAP as I don’t have a replacement phone at hand right now and feel really uncomfortable charging the device, let alone keeping it next to my body…

Everyone who is also affected will find further information on how to proceed in the link to known issues.

1 Like

Hi at all, I have read about the problem within lithium batteries and think it is exactly what happens to the FP batteries: the dendrites. I did look up an article about the issue here: https://newscenter.lbl.gov/2013/12/17/roots-of-the-lithium-battery/

Since my battery is loosing capacity I wanted to buy a new one. But there seem to be none left. Following @m2u_germany’s link it says out of stock, and on the Fairphone store there are only chargers and cases. Is there a possibility left to buy new batteries?

You need to contact the Fairphone Team via support. Only they can tell you if there are batteries left.

1 Like

Had a bloated battery, too. My story ended in a very satisfying way:

Friday May 29th:
Late at night my bloated battery pops off the back cover of my Fairphone. I figure this is a serious issue, find this forum thread, write a mail to Fairphone and get an automatic response.

Monday June 1st:
I receive a personal mail from the Fairphone people along with a form that I have to fill out, sign manually, scan and return.

Friday June 5th:
I send back the form (in the days in between I was distracted by other tasks, just my ‘fault’ not to return the form earlier).

Tuesday June 9th
The new (and free of charge) battery is in my mail.

Once more - pretty satisfying!

6 Likes

Hi All

I think I have a record bloater here - I had put aside my Fairphone in a box as it stopped charging 5 months ago. This is what I found today - I think this explains why it stopped charging…
Karin

7 Likes

:warning: Be very careful with this battery!!! It might explode and cause damage to you!!! See:

Send your above picture to Fairphone and demand a replacement battery (here is info on how to do so).

4 Likes

I have the same problem. I hope I’ll be helped as fast as the others. Cause it is not easy to live without a fairphone for a while. My battery is bloated as well…

Hi all
I just have currently the same experience. Bloated battery, the phone doesn’t work anymore.I contacted Fairphone support, they asked for a pic and the serial number of the battery - I sent this to them - afterwards complete silence since 2 weeks!! I need the mobile for my own business. Batteries are sold out in the Fairphone shop. I tried hard to find another type of battery which would fit to the Fairphone - haven’t found any. Now I just had to buy another mobile. There is NO NO information about when they will be able to supply replacement batteries. I’m deeply disappointed - this is a no go to treat customers
Peter

2 Likes

Peter, I think you should try to call. Also, let’s see if we can summon @anon90052001 here - he’ll help, I hope.

1 Like

Hi @peterpeter,

I’m really sorry to hear this. We do not want to treat Fairphone owners in this way. I don’t know what happened in this instance, but I have alerted our support team who will respond to you by private email today.

Sincere apologies again and I hope we can improve our support processes so these kinds of incidents do not happen again.

Joe

5 Likes

Hey everyone, this is my battery right now:

Please get the Battery back into stock immediately. Even though I can and I am willing to rapair my phone, Fairphone is hindering me to do so. Against your concept, isn’t it?

1 Like

Send the picture to support. I believe they removed the battery from the spare parts shop to have enough left for warranty issues, which your case definitely is.

3 Likes

Just adding my name here to the list of people suffering from a bloated battery, waiting for a reaction from the support team…

Dear David,

Have you already written the Fairphone support team via the form at www.fairphone.com/asksupport ? They can best help you if you write them there.

Hi, @lifewontwait: our support team will be writing you back by email shortly.

Thanks for your patience,
Joe

2 Likes

So i just heard back from Support - the batteries for the second batch are currently out of stock and they expect to be able to ship a new one until the end of next week. Maybe this info is useful for other people too…

5 Likes

Hello, I am experiencing the same problem, the battery is bloated, the back cover can’t be closed. I have my phone for one year now. I will do some investigation myself, as I found there are no batteries in store.
As I see your post is over half year old…was this solved somehow?
Thank you. Have a nice day.

Lisbeth, the batteries are not on the store right now because they are held for warranty cases. That means you can definitely get a replacement battery without delay right now. Just contact Fairphone support.

5 Likes

Today I noticed that my battery is bloated also. I called with Fairphone (I live in the Netherlands). Sietse of Fairphone opened a ticket for me, I replied and in no time I had a mail with the ordernumber for a new battery at no costs for me. Beginning of next week I will have a new battery.
Many thanks to Sietse of Fairphone for his quick handling.
So there is at the moment a very small amount of batteries at Fairphone, only available as replacement for a bloated battery.

8 Likes

I’d like to update on my earlier post:
Even though it took very long, this morning my new battery arrived at home.
Luckily I got a full refund for my battery and the support was fairly uncomplicated and clear.

Hopefully Fairphone delivers replacements faster in the future.
Anyway, thanks for the support.

4 Likes