Battery bloated

The basic info on that is post 8 and 9 of this topic (see below), perhaps explaining to support that you’re in Australia (if you’re still there, as I remember that was why you didn’t get the flash replaced under warranty) and asking whether they know a compatible Changhong battery might work (if they have that information at all). Only problem is that support still has capacity issues, so responses on some issues have taken 3+ weeks…

Hi,

I have the same problem. My battery is bloated and now my back cover doesn’t close. I need a new battery urgently. I wrote to support on 25th March, 10 days ago, but I don’t have answer.
Also I tried to buy a new battery in the shop, but batteries aren’t in stock. I need a solution. I don’t know if I should not use my fairphone, but I need a phone.

I’m disappointed with fairphone. I need a battery in order to continue using my fairphone and it is not possible to getting batteries and moreover, support doesn’t answer. I understand that support team has a lot of work, but it’s needed to answer more quickly. Now, I think that the fairphone project has a lot of problems, I will buy a new phone and I will generate waste, when I only need a battery. The philosophy of fairphone is that you can change some piece and you can fix your phone, but it is not possible.

I hope a solution and I hope not have to buy a new phone and generate waste.

Thanks and sorry, I liked fairphone project but it needs to improve a lot before going on, now I don’t recommend buy a fairphone

Thanks for your response, I’m actually in the UK at the moment, but going back in a few weeks. Obviously it will be a great deal more trouble to deal with it once I’m out of the EU.

For me the same problem, I wrote to support on 31 march, and didn’t get a reaction.
Today I tryed it again. I need my phone to.
I hope for a solution soon and not to buy a phone from another company…

Hello,

I realise this issue is already discussed here: Battery bloated - but since FP switched to FP2, it seems little is done for this situation.

I have a bloated battery - and cannot use my phone - it unloads as soon as charged.
I wanted a new battery, they ran out without telling me when they would get new ones, so I am left without phone nor a solution…

I commented on facebook and I’m waiting for some solution from the zendesk… But running out of batteries for phones supposed to consider their world and environment seems like an issue. I hope you do not make the same mistake with the new modular phone… As it would make modularity obsolete (no spare parts…).

I hope we have a more open solution for this known issue, than private replies, it would be professional.

The spare batteries ran out and will be back soon but since your battery is bloated you don’t need to buy a spare battery but can get a free replacement. Send @anon48893843 a PM to get a faster response to your support ticker.

When will you have batteries again? As I said, my battery is bloated, support team doesn’t answer, also I wrote in forum two days ago. Each day my phone is worse, back cover doesn’t close and I suppose that it’s better that I don’t use it for security. But, if I don’t use my phone, what is the solution?

Should I buy a new phone? How long does fairphone team take for saying something about my support ticket? How long does battery take before I receive it?

Now, I want and need a battery, it doesn’t matter if it’s free or not, it’s better free because the problem is bloated battery, but I need to acquire a battery as soon as possible

Please contact @anon48893843 via PM to get your battery replaced.

The battery is available again in the shop from today. However, I would try to call (phone) Fairphone Support first (if you haven’t done so yet) to see if you can get a warranty replacement for it.

2 Likes

Oh! Great!! Many thanks for the information!!

Well, I’ve had a (slightly) bloated battery, too. I’ve just bought a new one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(I was used to batterys failing to work after about one year, because that happened to my last phone, too. But it wasn’t bloated.)

Fairphone 1 has a two-year warranty on its battery, Fairphone 2 only has one year.

A one-year warranty on batteries seems to be quite common. :frowning:

1 Like

Finally, I have received a new battery, three weeks after writing to support team.

Many thanks! My phone works again :slight_smile:

PD. I’m happy but it’s needed to improve a lot of support team, responses take a lot of time, I have been two days without phone, because my phone (battery) was broken (swollen)

I am another affected. I bought FP1U and it arrived in September 2014. Same symptoms: short duration, weird charges (100% in 30 minutes), and of course bloated battery. I sent serials of battery and phone, and images of the battery to support a week ago and I don’t have response. How long does it take to respond? Any average time?
I suppose that the battery is in warranty period but I have read parts of this thread and the wait could be long. I wonder if it is worth to buy another one. It is available now.

I recommend that you call Fairphone support (phone number and office hours at the very bottom) to accelerate your warranty replacement.

Here is my experience. I had problems after less than a year with my first battery. It didn’t seem to be bloated, but it didn’t work at all. As was not bloated I bought a new one, after waiting cause was not available at the shop.
So when the new one arrives, it died a week after. On 26 of April I asked for support, but I am still waiting.
I need a phone, so I am going to buy a new one tomorrow. I cannot go for FP2, as I have seen that still has lots of problems and you are not supported at all. I am very sad, I really liked Fairphone.

Are you sure it’s your batteries?

Did you already try another charger/cable? I thought my battery was dying and it was actually only the USB cable that needed to be replaced.

You could also clean your USB socket. Maybe there’s dust in it…

Hey Veronica, our apologies for the late reply to your support request. I’ll make sure we are responding to your request today!

Hello,
So it seems it is a common problem this thing with the bloated battery. It started almost two months ago, but I thought it was a problem of the case, that was not closing anymore. It has gone worst and now is imposible to close the case and the phone just switches off continously. I would like to know to whom or how can I get a battery replacement as part of my guarantee. Please contact me ASAP. Thanks!
M.