Back cover woes

I wonder if it’s because I have smaller pockets, so while he can put his phone into his pocket, I usually dump mine into my bag. :wink:

Between us, I sometimes play mahjong, so I don’t dislike the PON. I just wish it were the other way around so I’d have a RON instead. :smiley:

1 Like

Yours turned into a FA_RPHONE, not so bad.

Mine turned into a __I_PHONE. I felt ill.

Luckily it has now upgraded itself to a ____PHONE which is much better.

But I keep finding little white letters in strange places which is weird.

7 Likes

The best PHO I ever had was in a Hmong village in Amazonia.

Colonialism has strange consequences.

1 Like

I have
photo5345884337100402299

8 Likes

It is a phone indeed.

1 Like

Yeah, the F, A and R have disappeared from mine, now it says:

__I_PHONE

10 Likes

Mine’s just _A__PHONE now.

6 Likes

And mine has updated itself again, so it says ____PHONE.

At least it’s stopped ling to me.

6 Likes

Does the tape still look good after half a year? I used to apply tape to my FP2 case and the tape started to collect dust quite quickly so it had to be changed often. Am worried I would have to apply tape here again and again and would eventually pull the letters off myself with the tape.

Hope this does not count as a double post, since I have some questions to add:

• I see we are all having fun in this thread, but is there any actual solution besides filling the letters with (white) color?

• There’s a post saying the covers FP sends as a replacement look a bit different. Do the letters stay on it or do they still fall off?

I understand the question, but needing a solution does mean you regard it as a problem. Personally I think it’s purely cosmetic and doesn’t affect how well the phone works. It even looks quite nice! So is this really something that needs to be solved? Of course I understand you could argue you paid for a phone with white lettering so it’s good you can get a new back cover from Fairphone, but I’m just curious whether people view it as an actual problem or perhaps just a minor nuisance?

I started the thread as a spot of fun with a serious point. Support have replaced, but because I like my cover just as much without the white lettering I’ve never used the replacement that they issued to me (I had raised the issue with them to let them know this was happening rather to seek a replacement).

So I don’t know if the replacement is better or not, but the solution remains if you have a problem with the lettering to seek a replacement, or customize your cover as you see fit.

5 Likes

Same here, mine lost its “fairness” too. :wink:

It’s pretty great that Fairphone went with a see-through back cover for the FP3 after seeing some (including me!) in the community argue that the new FP2 cases should also include one in order to make the phone immediately stand out on a table - at least that’s my guess about their motivation. The next step would be that the phone doesn’t just stand out but the people with you at the table also see the brand clearly on top of the see-through cover. The conversation will inevitably turn to Fairphone and fair trade, but seeing the brand name imo helps them remember it when they are at their PC/laptop later in the evening doing online shopping. And that’s where letters which don’t fall off come in. :wink:

So yeah, i’d like my letters to stay on please and want to avoid getting sent new cases again and again until the warranty period ends, which would be bad for both Fairphone and the environment.

3 Likes

I have received a replacement back cover from Fairphone after opening an official support ticket. But since this is now hidden behind a black Protective Cover, I am already wondering if the lettering on the latter will prove to be more durable …

While I am absolutely with you, that it is - to me - purely optics, they evidently have to solve it, since they are aiming for the mass market.
And I would guess, that it is not exactly helping to build trust in a product or a manufacturer, when the lettering is coming off soon after unpacking. Many a buyer might come up with the question “What doeas that mean for the durability of the more essential electronic parts and modules?
So, in my opinion, it’s rather a question for the general public than it is for me (and many others as well of course), who don’t care that much about appearence.

6 Likes

I am totally with you on that but I was referring to an individual noticing their letters coming off and viewing that as a problem rather than a nuisance. To describe it as a problem as a user of the phone sounds a little bit dramatic?

1 Like

Same here! On my FP3 several letters got loosely and the F finally got lost last week. The glue of the letters isn’t really solid. Because I don’t want an “AIRPHONE” I will follow @Chris_R and pull off all the letters (love puristic design anyway). For future FP backcovers I wish that they will use printed letters instead of glued ones.

4 Likes

20200602_Fairphone_FarOne_H
My FairPhone has renamed itself last month to “Far One”, with a flying H: Here still visible, it realy flew away some moments later.

Meanwhile, 3 weeks later I can report it is now “Fa On”, as the R and the E have gone missing too.

Tip/idea for FairPhone design/production: Move the characters to the other side of the cover. Since it is a see-trough thing, use it to avoid wear-and-tear.

On the other side, I just leave it like this, only profile-characters are also some statement.

3 Likes

My letters are also coming loose, first noticed yesterday that they are wiggling around :frowning: