Audio issues - Jack static noise and USB-C compatibility

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum, I’ll try to be as precise as possible.

I bought a second-hand Fairphone 3 six months ago, and installed /e/OS on it (currently 1.11 stable).
Since I have it, there is static noise on the 3mm jack audio output (tried with different earbuds and headsets which otherwise work perfectly with other audio sources). No static noise with bluetooth speakers.

Since I couldn’t find any solution to this issue on the forum, I figured I could switch to usb-c audio.
Testing with a friend’s usb-c earbuds (basic Oneplus earbuds), the audio was perfect.
Since my earbuds have a mmcx interchangeable cable, I bought a usb-c to mmcx cable (JCALLY – TC08 PRO Type-C).
But I was disappointed that it doesn’t work with my FP3, although it works with other devices. The only thing that works are the control buttons.

So here are my questions :

• Does anybody have experience in upgrading to the FP 3+ top module to get rid of jack audio noise?
  • Is my usb-c issue rather software related (/e/OS) or hardware related (incompatible usb-c DAC chip)?
  • What usb-c audio protocols/chips is the Fairphone 3 compatible with?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Just to clarify, this is user forum, so no official response can be expected.

Of course you can try installing the FOS to see if it is an e/OS issue…

Where are you? You may find a fairphoneangel near you that can lend you a top module to test that idea.

https://angels.fairphone.community/

You may also try removing the top module and doing a clean etc.

Hi amoun,

Thank you very much for your answer!

Where are you? You may find a fairphoneangel near you that can lend you a top module to test that idea.

Good idea. There is indeed a fairphoneangel near where I live, I’ve contacted them and I am waiting for their answer.
I was not aware such local fairphone communities existed.

You may also try removing the top module and doing a clean etc.

I’ll try this as soon as possible.

Of course you can try installing the FOS to see if it is an e/OS issue…

I wanted to avoid re-installing the phone, for simplicity reasons and because I am otherwise very satisfied with e/OS, but I might turn out to this if nothing else works… I’ll have to check out how to do a whole phone save.

I’ll let you know the results of my attempts!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.