Android KitKat (4.4.4) for FP1

Got a bit silent in here…

@z3ntu: Are you still developing? No grouching, just asking!

I did some testing and ran into a problem getting tor to work (orbot app). Neither the recent version nor the older (15) build will connect properly, worked seamless on stock.
Probably me stupid, but might point to some problem.

Furthermore I also tested GPS (with Osmand) and found it working alright. It took less than 15 min to first fix.

1 Like

I should do a 0.0.3 version sometime soon… I’ve actually started working on a tool last month to backport the national roaming configs (as mentioned at Android KitKat (4.4.4) for FP1): https://github.com/z3ntu/national-roaming-translator , but it still needs some work.

6 Likes

Thanks @z3ntu for ROM 4.4.4, it’s wonderful to have the Fairphone updated! :slight_smile:

Thanks @urs_lesse for the tutorial :slight_smile:

Version 0.0.2 works perfect for me.

I had problems with version 0.0.3-pre5 when playing mp3 (with Pulsar, Vanilla, and other sound APPs), and when making Signal voice calls, the APP crashes. But version 0.0.2 works perfect.

In case it helps someone, I could not do tethering and I solved it by installing an APK I found in this forum: https://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=1005116 (It needs BusyBox installed)

I have also noticed that the remaining battery life indicator gets stuck and gives problems when I turn on the FP1 after being off for a long time (with both 0.0.2 and 0.0.3-pre5). The solution is that the FP1 is always on (turn it off a short time or never turn it off)

Thank you again.

2 Likes

Although version 0.0.2 works fine for me (good to see such a recent security patch on my old FP1!) I would like to know if work on a next version/security-updates continues.

1 Like

It would be nice if you could test the 0.0.3 pre-release version, as the media security patches contained there are planned to be released as part of 0.0.3.

1 Like

Could you send me the mp3 which doesn’t work? From my limited testing I didn’t find any problems.
Could you give me the logcat output when these crashes happen? Thanks.

Can I update from 0.0.2 to 0.0.3 pre-release without loosing userdate?
Anyway: any testing I can do will only be limited; the FP1 is now my secondary phone with only a few apps installed.

Yes, you can update from 0.0.2 to 0.0.3 pre-release without loosing userdate (but you will have to reinstall Open GApps if you want Google Play Store and Google Play Services)

1 Like

Ok… I have reinstalled version 0.0.3-pre5 of the ROM for testing

The error is easy to reproduce when switching from one playing song to another in VANILLA APP. It does not always happen, but many times (It doesn’t happen only with a specific mp3, but with anyone, randomly).

Errors playing mp3 never occur with version 0.0.2 of the ROM.

Signal APP crashes or makes errors when making the second voice call, the first call works OK.

I have sent you a private message with the logcat (filtering errors)

1 Like

Done: no issues discovered (with the limited number of applications I use).
Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Well, if I want to keep using my FP1U, I think I need to upgrade to this version… :roll_eyes: Not something I like to do…

Hallo everybody,
I’m very glad, that I found this possibility to bring my fp1u into a second life - and that there are great people, who spend their time on it! Thanks a lot!
The mentioned basketbuild-link to the recovery.img seems broken. Where else can I find that img to try it out?

3 Likes

Welcome @HvConta !

I found the recovery.img file on my PC and uploaded it to this link: https://file.town/download/mqov4sqyi4fin105xe5avu2g8

1 Like

The official link to the recovery.img is to be found on top of this thread.

Thanks a lot! Just one more (probably stupid) Question: Your link says:Filename: recovery.imgSize: 5.55 MBMD5: f5d1a4058b95414c51755aab037f80c8; why the downloaded file is called “3s5vz3q3qocey2hsl24tvb6xu.img”, does it simply needs to be renamed or somehow transformed into the “recovery.img”?

I suggest you take the official recovery.img so there’s no need to rename the file.

It is simply that the website renamed the file, but the file is the same. Just rename it to “recovery.img”

Or, as @Lidwien suggests, you can wait until @z3ntu republish a working link of the original file. But this one is the same.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you! It’s a pleasure to get such immediate response. I din’t expect that (as I din’t expect the ‘fast’ original-supportstop, which is completely contradictory to the idea of a long lasting ‘fair’ phone). Great, that you made the idea work better!

1 Like

@z3ntu has placed new working link to the recovery.img.
He also changed the link in the first post of this thread. Downloading the recovery.img shouldn’t be a problem anymore.

1 Like

Any idea if/when you release the update? Any chance for more recent security patches to come in at the same time?

2 Likes