Android 12 for FP4?

Longterm support doesn’t imply bleeding edge features. I will much rather have stable security updates on A11 every month than a major update to A12/A13 and then nothing for a few months like many other manufacturers do.

7 Likes

I agree, stability should be paramount for stock FPOS, but A12 has been out for almost exactly a year now, that’s hardly bleeding edge.

But yeah, there are plenty of custom ROMs available for those (like me) who get bored by a working system and need something closer to a rolling release model :smirk:

Hold on, Fairphone most definitely sold us multiple versions of Android. And let’s be real, they are falling behind a bit.

I don’t know what @anon9989719 is on about?

I thought so as well, but couldn’t find anything about it on the product page, the FAQ mentions…

We currently sell Fairphone 4 with Android 11 pre-installed, but we are now starting to work on a significant software upgrade to Android 12 for 2022.

…and:

Fairphone guarantees Android 12 and 13 for Fairphone 4 users.
We also aim to provide upgrades for Android 14 and 15. However, since Qualcomm will not offer support in the development, we cannot guarantee them.

But yeah, they are taking their time. All I know is that the pandemic slowed development down significantly, but at almost 3 years into it, that should be manageable by now…

5 Likes

I’ve seen no link stating Android 15 will definitely be available on any Fairphone. I Googled, well, Ecosiad “Fairphone Android 15” and the top results are basically the following (paraphrased):

We can guarantee updates to Android 12 and 13, and we promise to really try to get the phone to 14 and 15. It boils down to the chip’s support, unfortunately. Qualcomm only gives 3 years of support for the chip we used in the FP4.

I mean, personally I don’t care if we get Android 15 or not. I would much rather get Android 13 in a year or so, and then security updates every month. Basically, I’m with Razem. However, I do think we will be getting Android 15 on the FP4. The FP3 has been updated for ages, and it’s likely that the trend will continue with the FP4.

As I stated before, I was fully aware that buying from Fairphone rather than Google or Samsung would have its downsides when it comes to the software. I just wish they were more transparent about it.

A developer blog! Make one, keep us updated! I genuinely don’t see why a company built on the foundation of being fair and open about their product lines should be secretive like the CIA when it comes to software updates.

If they are afraid of showing their slow progress on the blog, I think most people would be fine with that. Because A) Progress is already slow, without the blog showing us a week to week update on what they are doing, and B) I think most people are in the same camp as me, where I’m perfectly fine with waiting for months if not years for updates.

All I want is communication. We’re taking a gamble on what is essentially a startup company, and I think we deserve as much.

(The above might come off as harsher than intended, I don’t regret buying my phone at all. I’d definitely do it again, I’m just blown away by the corporate trend of “STFU until the 2 year software product is out the door”)

5 Likes

Comparing Fairpone to the CIA is madness. The CIA are a comany that works for the US government outside it’a jurisdiction will the authority to disrupt and kill what are perceived as threats to the USA.

Sure the CIA will want to keep their acticities secret.

Fairphone are obliged by contracts to keep sofware details secret, not at all similar to the CIA.

If you want to have more access to Beta outputs and Gitlab pay attention to the forum. Now and then people are invited to join.

A blog for all and any user would just become a liability, as this one is, which is why it’s a use forum not one Fairphone are obliged to read.

Keep an eye open for a request for Beta testers for the FP4 :slight_smile:

Yeah I think you’re reading too much into that statement. I simply meant that companies today tend to do things in the dark, even when they are community driven in many ways. Signal is a better example. Open source, discusses issues on their GitHub, etc. Yet we have no idea what’s coming next, because they are community driven in name only. I feel Fairphone is fairly similar in that regard. We have a forum, but actual developer contact is extremely rare. I’ve never once seen it happen while lurking here.

Fairphone are obliged by contracts to keep sofware details secret, not at all similar to the CIA.

I would genuinely be surprised if contracts prevented them from giving statements like “This week we worked on getting the WiFi firmware to play nice with Android 12. We had issues due to the lead developer having corona for 2 weeks, so we’re a bit behind schedule”
There’s a big difference between that and “Hey guys, our contact person at Qualcomm sent THIS to us in confidence today!!”

If you want to have more access to Beta outputs and Gitlab pay attention to the forum. Now and then people are invited to join.

See, the issue is that I don’t think I should have to lurk the forums every day to know whether or not we’re getting Android 12 this year or not. I think there should be a dedicated segment for that. But just like with most companies, they don’t feel like sharing that with us. Which I find odd, to be honest.

6 Likes

Say, how did you get A13 running on the FP4?

I’m running CalyxOS:

5 Likes

You chose to use the CIA to compare Fairphone’s failure to provide you with insights it seems not secrets as you worded it.

And in either case you chose not to use a large business like Microsoft or Amazon.

You choose to compare to a murderous company and invoke some secrecy you want exposed.

So it’s more me questioning your use and comparing to Signal is far less ‘insulting’ but still why compare? If you want something from Fairphone, why not ask them rather than slag them of on a forum :slight_smile:

It’s all a joke ~ right ??? You don’t really mean what you say ??

Android 12 is just another episode in the not so funny, drab soap opera, which we voluntarily buy into and moreover via the Fairphone channel.

It’s all just TV (Tunnel Vision) Each subscriber sees what they want to see but not where other people are at or heading.

:rofl:

I just can’t see a way of adding much humour to this :frowning:

It’s called making a point. Signal has their development behind the scenes, the same as Fairphone. CIA is also doing stuff behind the scenes. Could I have chosen a better organisation to compare them with? Absolutely. I was half-jesting when I used the CIA, since they are an organization know to be secretive. I’ve repeatedly mentioned that I desire a less closed development for Fairphone. The entire point of Fairphone is to be better than the competitors ethically. Yet we know next to nothing about what they are doing, same as most other companies. Even Samsung has a developers blog. Would you say it’s ethical to leave your customers in the dark?

And in either case you chose not to use a large business like Microsoft or Amazon.

Just because we chose a smaller company doesn’t mean we can excuse them for everything and anything. Corona was definitely a valid reason for delays when it comes to Android 12 not being released in a timely passion. But at this point, I think Android 14 will launch before we get Android 12 and we don’t really know for sure why. I’m not going to email their support about this, as I shouldn’t have to. Literally all I want is to know what’s going on. Preferably on a blog, or email list, or literally anything. But alas, here we are, wondering why we’re 1 year behind other companies. You’re gonna ignore this in your next response, but I don’t actually care that we’re 1 year behind. I just want to know why, and I want that info in a way that isn’t “Hey guys, the support guy told me THIS!”

You choose to compare to a murderous company and invoke some secrecy you want exposed.

The CIA isn’t a company, and I felt it was super clear that I was referring to their software updates being kept secret until release. What I wrote was literally:

I genuinely don’t see why a company built on the foundation of being fair and open about their product lines should be secretive like the CIA when it comes to software updates.

I think the point of that was super clear, and I genuinely fail to see how you could see that as me accusing Fairphone of being like a murderous organization overthrowing governments in foreign countries.

Honestly, I get the impression that you are intentionally strawmanning my posts at this point, constantly trying to undermine my suggestions, cherry-picking one liners, rather than actually understanding what I’m saying. My point to put it bluntly is that they should be more open about what’s going on behind the scenes. I don’t think wanting info on the product I bought for my own money is asking for too much. In fact, I think I ask very little of Fairphone at this point, and I’ve stated as much. I just want to know what the future of me as a customer of theirs is going to be like.

I really hope this is a language barrier thing, but you come off as very demeaning and belittling of what is, in my opinion, a valid suggestion. Because that’s what my posts here are: Suggestions, not critique or a threat of leaving Fairphone in the future if things don’t change.

On the contrary, I’m very happy with my Fairphone 4, even with its flaws. I just wanted to voice my opinion that FP should be more vocal about their future plans.

3 Likes

And I vehemently disagree.

Different philosophy I don’t think anyone should do anything. i.e . it is not my intention to demand or ask someone to do anything they don’t want to do.

As for ethics I consider the fair trade for miners and factory workers beyond anything I could have hoped for and asking or wanting more in other aspects of someone-else’s business seems inconsiderate.

Strawmanning :: I am not trying to undermine your will to argue for what you want but challenging that you make demands on a public forum of a private business, which seems unreasonable, though I understand your desire.

If you really want Fairphone to do as you want try asking them. It seems what you are doing is trying to gather support for what you want, which I do not support on a public forum.

UPDATE: I have been advised not to respond to any further off topic comments of yours etc. Which I was inclined to do anyway.

So good bye and have a nice day :slight_smile:

If you disagree with something, it’s generally a better idea to make a constructive response rather than go with something like:

:rofl:

I just can’t see a way of adding much humour to this :frowning:

^ I don’t know how you think the above is an acceptable answer, when all I’ve done is voiced a suggestion.

Different philosophy I don’t think anyone should do anything. i.e . it is not my intention to demand or ask someone to do anything they don’t want to do.

How will Fairphone know people want something if literally no one mentions they want it? I don’t get your “argument” at all.

Strawmanning :: I am not trying to undermine your will to argue for what you want but challenging that you make demands on a public forum of a private business, which seems unreasonable, though I understand your desire.`

I’ve not made any demands. Now you’re strawmanning me right after saying you’re not strawmanning me. I literally said it would have been nice to have more communication from the company. If you want Apple to use USB-C, don’t you think it would be wise to share that opinion with others in, perhaps, a public forum dedicated to Apple?

If you really want Fairphone to do as you want try asking them. It seems what you are doing is trying to gather support for what you want, which I do not support on a public forum.

You know forums are for discussions, right? If you don’t want discussions, why are you even here? This is a forum, not the Fairphone fan club. Almost every post here is “off topic” as no one really knows when Android 12 will launch, hence why I made my suggestion.

UPDATE: I have been advised not to respond to any further off topic comments of yours etc. Which I was inclined to do anyway.

I disagree that my posts are off topic. Literally all I was saying is that communication about future updates would have been nice. And I posted that on a thread about future updates. It would make Fairphone closer to the community if they just felt like sharing more info with us customers.

You’re repeatedly claiming I’ve said things I haven’t … And I don’t understand why. I’ve been abundantly clear, I’ve not demanded anything, and in my last post I made it clear that I’m only making a suggestion/wish.

But I guess posting a suggestion on a public forum about the product I’ve bought and love (which I’ve mentioned several times, that you conveniently seem to ignore) isn’t allowed.

3 Likes

Which ROM are you using to get A13 on the FP4?

1 Like

CalyxOS, there is a thread about it.

And a how-to guide, but they have just recently released their device-flasher.
If you decide to try it, use that. There are some small glitches, but it’s the safer option.

1 Like

I would like to come back to the original topic ^^

Any new information regarding Android 12 yet? I mean, it’s the middle of November already and I heard nothing yet.

1 Like

We’re not overdue, right? The expected due date is Q4 2022. So, it may be soon.

1 Like

Well no, we are not overdue, but having some news about it would be nice.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Once those hired to do the dirty work of making an update it has to go to Google for over 2 million checks, only when they are happy will they give Faiphone a license to us it.

I’m sure that the day they get the OK they will push it to the networks for thier checks.
Each network if happy wijj then automatically send it to thier subscribers.

Fairphone can have no eta for these procedures

I haven’t been actively following the topic, just scrolled through it and I just want to put a small side-note on this specific statement.

While I agree that Fairphone isn’t the best in communication, I think talking about “taking a gamble” is quite unnecessarily pessimistic. I’d say you take a way bigger gamble when you buy a phone from pretty much any other manufacturer, even the big ones, as pretty much none of them have a track record like this for (eventually) releasing updates:

I have never in my life got even close to 5 major OS upgrades ever happening with any other brand personally.

On the other notes of this topic, while I’m sure it has already been said a million times, I personally think that the vast majority of users don’t care about having the newest Android version the moment it releases. Most users don’t even know what they run. The one thing most users do care about is the software on their phone not breaking, so “slow and steady” is the right answer for most people. For those who aren’t like that, LineageOS (and now for FP4 also the privacy-respecting CalyxOS) is a great option :slight_smile:

4 Likes