Android 10 upgrade - Random reboots

Hello,

Whenever i have the wifi on the phone reboots many times when the wifi reception is bad. When its good and i send some data it reboots as well.
Is there a solution to this problem other than not using wifi at all?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
I moved your post here as there was already a topic about random reboots because of wifi on android 10.
The answer is: wait for the bugfix release from FP.
No known workaround so far.

Or try this, you never know.

1 Like

Like I’ve speculated earlier, I think the problem lies in the OS kernel in some networking code, and gets triggered when the phone switches between network interfaces while sending/receiving data. That at least fits most descriptions here.

I didn’t have any reboots for several weeks when only using either WiFi or mobile internet, but not both at the same time. After the latest updates I re-enabled both to test, and had some reboots again.

Note that I’ve also had a reboot when using only mobile internet, but that was when the phone switched to a foreign provider (started roaming), so again a network switch. Some people have them when using only WiFi, but the repeaters some mentioned above would mean that behind the scenes the phone is again switching between access points.

In any case, for me the phone has been rather usable as long as I stick to one networking mode (WiFi or mobile) at a time.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

To find out how far we’ve come in our investigation, please take a look at this blog for the latest update. When we have new information, I will return to this thread . :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The blog entry only talks about reboots during calls (“During calls the phone reboots randomly”), but this thread is primarily about reboots at any time, not necessarily while making a call. So just to make sure, I think I need to ask: Does that mean that the issue reported in this thread is not actually the one that the blog entry talks about, or is its phrasing just not 100% accurate?

Rather the latter I’d say. It was reported that the reboots are caused by network problem, which was perhaps interpreted and written in the blog as reboots during calls. Also in the last update, it is just written “random reboots”.

I have the same issue of random reboots but found a work-around that eliminated the problem for the time being.

Similar to what @jvnn reports, switching between WIFI and mobile data triggers it quite frequently. But contrary to what @jvnn finds, for me it also happened if only WIFI was activated, at least in some WIFIs (crashes at home, no crashes at work)
But I figured out a work-around: My WIFI router at home was set to broadcast a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz WIFI under the same name. Once I gave the 5 GHz WIFI a different name and made sure that my phone can only log into one of the two WIFIs by not saving the password for the other, the problem was gone. This works for both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz networks.

I thus, strongly suspect that the reboots happen if the phone switches to a different network, i.e. mobile data, 2.4 GHz WIFI or 5 GHz WIFI.

For now, I don’t have the reboots since I am mainly at home and have control over the settings of my WIFI router, but on the long run, I’d like to be able to log onto friends’ WIFIs as well without fear of reboots. Hence, I’m looking forward to a proper fix …

4 Likes

Yep, I also wanted to write a little update about exactly this. I also have 2,4 and 5 GHz networks at home, and when I enabled both on the phone, I started getting regular restarts again (multiple times a day). I made the phone forget one of the two networks and haven’t had any reboots since.

3 Likes

Switching between networks 3G, 4G and|or then wifi 2.4 and 5GHz will no doubt not go as smoothly as a user would want, but for the the phone to reboot is not acceptable to me. Is it to anyone really ?

That would explain why just a few users are experiencing reboots, because they often stick to using 2.4 GHz only…

@DeepSea
I don’t understand why you would say that especially as I only use 2.4GHz with no problem :slight_smile:

I’m not using mobile data at all. Home router has only 2.4 GHz available, no other networks in reach to which my phone might connect itself - though I experienced crashes at home.

1 Like

I got the impression that switching from 2.4 to 5 GHz forth and back might cause the reboots, but …

… obviously I have been proven to be wrong…

I’m using a WiFi network with a Fritzbox as router and a Fritz repeater. For some months, I had to use my old Fritzbox as a second repeater as well for home office purposes. All using the same ID, but different IDs for 2,4 and 5 GHz.
While the old Fritzbox was up and running, I did the Android 10 update and experienced many random reboots. Since I didn’t need home office any longer I switched off the old Fritzbox - and I haven’t experienced any random reboots. Unlike I mentioned earlier, activation of mobile data seems not to be relevant.

1 Like

I am gonna having the suspicion that:

1. there are two types of rebooting issues

2. the rare reboots when browsing, using system settings app, filing the RAM by plenty of background apps or during the night at rest have something to do with HW realization of cryptography.

Can you folks please have a look into which wifi GENERATION (not frequency band - it is a digit near the wifi sign, namely 4, 5, 6 or none) you use when the reboots are most often?

Hi everyone,

We’ve posted an update in the same blog. Happy to report some positive news. :slight_smile:

If you are experiencing any of these issues and have already contacted our customer support team, they will personally keep you updated via email.

Rae

10 Likes

I had this reboot issue every time I came home (since the upgrade). Within the first 15 minutes after I arrived home the phone rebooted. (every day!).
My home wifi supports 2.4 GHz and 5GHz.
Since I don’t want to use 2.4GHz anyway, I switched it off on my FP3 under:

Wi-Fi Preferences, Wi-Fi frequency band, which I set to 5 GHz only.

My phone has not rebooted since (I did this 10 days ago).

3 Likes

Disabling either 2.4 or 5 seems to work as it stops the phone from repeatedly testing both to see which is better, I use the 2.4 as it has a longer range.

So if you are a fair distance from the router 2.4G is better, close to the router 5G is better

Edit
but if you are moving around or on the edge of variable strengths whilst in the middle of a call then there could be interruptions as wifi band and/or network access are switched

Thank you very much for this positive news! I did not know that this blog entry was updated - updated entries are not shown in RSS readers, just new entries. Maybe it would be a good idea to publish good news more prominent in a new article? :wink:

Just to be complete: I never had problems with reboots of my FP3+. But since I received update 0066 my phone is always rebooting while doing phone calls.
So this means for my FP3+: The latest update introduced a new problem instead of solving other ones.

But since I know that there will be a solution for this with the January2021-update: I will wait for it and hope I can do calls then without reboots.
Thank you for working on this!