Android 10 upgrade - Random reboots

I had only 1 reboot since I wiped cache on most of my apps. Did it again after last firmware update.

1 Like

Hi all,

here the same problem, since the upgrade from Android 9 to Android 10, the random rebooting occurred also to me (never had it before!), for example, only considering today, it rebooted ~6 times. This is surely NOT ACCEPTABLE, my suggestion is NOT to pass to Android 10, if you need to, just wait for this issues to be solved!

Also, I cannot find a pattern for the issue. I am suspecting the RAM is getting full, but it does not make much sense. I will keep the performance under control from now on…Any idea, on the possible cause?

Thanks,

Matteo

1 Like

Just a quick update: so far no reboots since my last post on Thursday. I have occasionally used WiFi as well, but only where I have good coverage. When I have a little time again I’ll try provoking a reboot by forcing switches between WiFi and mobile network. If that indeed is the problem, that should be relatively easy to reproduce.

2 Likes

Hello all,

An update: after two days without any reboot (Friday and Saturday), yesterday afternoon, rebooted when changing an app.

Question: How can I downgrade to Android 9, if necessary?
Thank you.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for the tips : )
I will definitely bear that in mind : |

I can confirm I hadn’t any reboots since I opened the device and tightened the screws :face_with_monocle:

May be the reboots were not caused by loosen components but by the background jobs running to finish the Android 10 update (some may fail multiple times), who knows.

Hi all, I am still having the random reboots. Today I had three. I kept @jvnn remark in my mind and it sounds plausible to me for at least two of the reboots i experienced today.

@jvnn It sounds promising after 4 days without reboot. Any updates?

@chreguh any updates on your trial to clear caches?

same here … after the loss of `phone’ as storage-option and all the contacts I’ve stored there it startet with random reboots now and then, out of the blue, with full accu.
the reinstalling of specific ringtones to contacts works only in 50 % …
what next ?
I envy everybody who did no android 10 upgrade …

When I am using my phone it’s resets like there is something wrong with it or it is being over worked. Am I doing something wrong I am just trying to set a SIM card up and then trying to make a phone call all and then I’m watching YouTube

Or is my phone faulty and therefore need to go back under it warranty

Contacting support will always be a good thing to do anyway. So you should contact them, sure.

What do you mean by resetting?

Resetting as turning off when I not ask it too

I emailed the support people

I moved your posts here, as these are random reboots and not resets.
You can have a look around.

Ok so it s popular fail that not been dealt with :’(

I might have found a pattern for my reboots. At least the last three times happened at the edge of my WiFi coverage, while my phone switched between WiFi and the mobile network. It seems like a Linux kernel panic (the whole phone freezes like my Linux laptop does on panics) so perhaps it’s due to a buggy WiFi (or LTE) driver…? I’ll use the phone with WiFi off for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

I think you might be onto something here @jvnn. I’ve been on holiday for a week and barely used WiFi in that time and guess what? No reboots. I get home and onto WiFi and get a reboot within half an hour.

My WiFi setup at home is pretty complex too, lots of extenders and routers (I live in an old house with thick walls) so just walking from room to room can mean that my phone loses connection to the WiFi, and falls back to cellular momentarily before it can connect to the next access point. I’m going to look into this some more.

2 Likes

I think a link between connectivity and Android 10 issues has been proposed before so you might be onto something.

This makes me wonder if the the carrier also comes into play. (Perhaps not with this issue if it is indeed related to WiFi). Might it be interesting to see if we can link issues to specific carriers?

I myself have had zero issues with both Android 9 and 10.

3 Likes

On Tuesday I had a reboot outside with WiFi turned off, so there goes my theory about switching between WiFi and mobile net. It might still have something to do with the network stack, though, as I had a very spotty connection and a lot of switching between network operators.

I was trying to provoke a reboot by using the phone near the edge of my WiFi connection, but didn’t succeed so far.

I thought my phone had sorted it self but it turned it self off again after hour and half }:‑)

No response yet from fair phone about this issue

Rik

Alex, Fair phone makers I was listening to radio back ground waiting for a call and it choose to turn it self off about 11.55.

It was doing nothing taxing

Wat do I need to do to get help. I so far left it in this community and contacted customer service. I thinking do I need to drop Ethical Consumer or ombudsman to hight lite this or communication mp

I rather not please help

Edit by @alex21: merged the three posts

1 Like

Please note you are not addressing Fairphone here. This a community forum. So it’s good that you contacted support.

1 Like

I don’t have WiFi on my phone so that can’t be it

At moment. I with Giffgaff for cell service and on android 10