Android 10 upgrade - Random reboots

I’m not using mobile data at all. Home router has only 2.4 GHz available, no other networks in reach to which my phone might connect itself - though I experienced crashes at home.

1 Like

I got the impression that switching from 2.4 to 5 GHz forth and back might cause the reboots, but …

… obviously I have been proven to be wrong…

I’m using a WiFi network with a Fritzbox as router and a Fritz repeater. For some months, I had to use my old Fritzbox as a second repeater as well for home office purposes. All using the same ID, but different IDs for 2,4 and 5 GHz.
While the old Fritzbox was up and running, I did the Android 10 update and experienced many random reboots. Since I didn’t need home office any longer I switched off the old Fritzbox - and I haven’t experienced any random reboots. Unlike I mentioned earlier, activation of mobile data seems not to be relevant.

1 Like

I am gonna having the suspicion that:

1. there are two types of rebooting issues

2. the rare reboots when browsing, using system settings app, filing the RAM by plenty of background apps or during the night at rest have something to do with HW realization of cryptography.

Can you folks please have a look into which wifi GENERATION (not frequency band - it is a digit near the wifi sign, namely 4, 5, 6 or none) you use when the reboots are most often?

Hi everyone,

We’ve posted an update in the same blog. Happy to report some positive news. :slight_smile:

If you are experiencing any of these issues and have already contacted our customer support team, they will personally keep you updated via email.

Rae

10 Likes

I had this reboot issue every time I came home (since the upgrade). Within the first 15 minutes after I arrived home the phone rebooted. (every day!).
My home wifi supports 2.4 GHz and 5GHz.
Since I don’t want to use 2.4GHz anyway, I switched it off on my FP3 under:

Wi-Fi Preferences, Wi-Fi frequency band, which I set to 5 GHz only.

My phone has not rebooted since (I did this 10 days ago).

3 Likes

Disabling either 2.4 or 5 seems to work as it stops the phone from repeatedly testing both to see which is better, I use the 2.4 as it has a longer range.

So if you are a fair distance from the router 2.4G is better, close to the router 5G is better

Edit
but if you are moving around or on the edge of variable strengths whilst in the middle of a call then there could be interruptions as wifi band and/or network access are switched

Thank you very much for this positive news! I did not know that this blog entry was updated - updated entries are not shown in RSS readers, just new entries. Maybe it would be a good idea to publish good news more prominent in a new article? :wink:

Just to be complete: I never had problems with reboots of my FP3+. But since I received update 0066 my phone is always rebooting while doing phone calls.
So this means for my FP3+: The latest update introduced a new problem instead of solving other ones.

But since I know that there will be a solution for this with the January2021-update: I will wait for it and hope I can do calls then without reboots.
Thank you for working on this!

Interestingly, I am suddenly facing these very same issues with restarts while trying to initiate a call :neutral_face: The phone app seems to hang, then crash, then causing the whole phone to restart. It’s strange because I installed the latest update days ago when it was released and never had a problem. Only today I noticed it, and I didn’t even restart the phone or anything today…

It may be co-incidental with a hardware issue, you may like to check the module contacts are clean and seated well etc.

You might be right… Tried a factory reset, not taking over any backup/data and still the same issue. Plus, I don’t have any sound when playing YouTube videos, changing ring tones, etc. Very annoying this happens exactly the day before Christmas… :sob:

Hello everyone,

The latest update, with some encouraging news, can be found in the same blog.

As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our customer support team if you are experiencing any problems with your Fairphone.

1 Like

For news on the Updates to Android 10 (0054, 0066, 0077)

Hello,

My partner and I bought two fairphones (FP3 in september, FP3+ in December).
The two phones were likely to work properly but then, random reboots started to occur several time a day since the 10th of January.

We have tried different things. On FP3+ we avoid the phone to connect in 4G. Only in 3G or home wifi, it works… Not satisfying at all but at least the random reboot stop.

On the FP3, I have observed that the phone always switch off when I am at home. I had to spend few days elsewhere and the phone never switched off… Here I have no wifi activated at all, only on 4G.

We are thus a little bit lost and also disappointed by the situation. I have contacted the customer service but got no answers.

Are we the only one to experience such situation?

Thank you for your feedbacks

Pierryves

1 Like

There are similar complaints. As it happens in a specific location it may be due to network switching between Gs due to signal strengths, although that should only interupt calls not make the phone reboot.

But if it’s location specific there must be some signal that the phone is poorly interpreting.

Did you update the software around the same time and what version are you using 0077?

When you say you contacted cust serv is that an official support request and have you received an acknowledgement of your query and when did you contact them.

1 Like

I moved the two last posts here to avoid duplicates.
Please have a look at the topic and suggestions above! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,

For the FP3+, do you as for the build number?

For the FP3, I installed /e/ OS, latest available version.

In both case we experience reboot randomly.

My FP3 starts to reboot random 1/2 times a day. Don’t know why… Build 0077. I’ve never had a problem since couple of days…

Sounds like loose contacts on modules and possibly the switches. Maybe a clean and reassemble may help.

I doubt it’s software related in terms of 0077, but maybe you have installed a few apps that are running in the background and have some conflict, though rebooting is a bit extreme.

Of course rebooting has been mentioned before and the reasons are not often discovered easily.

My FP3+ of Oct 20 has stock rom all the recent updates with no such issue.

I moved the two last posts here as they were about FPOS Android 10.