All offline contacts gone after phone update

inzwischen hat mir der Fairphone support geantwortet, allerdings zu einem problem, das ich NICHT habe, sondern meine schwester, bei ihr werden - bis auf zwei kontakte - ALLE EINGEHENDEN ANRUFE alsUNKNOWN gezeigt, weshalb sie nicht weiß, wer angerufen hat.
toll!
mein problem ist der verschwundene Speicherort “phone”, den ich für alle neuen kontakte gewählt hatte - die sind jetzt fort, aber dazu habe ich keine Antwort vom support gekriegt …

hi ilsen, was hat der support denn deiner schwester geraten? habe nämlich das gleiche problem, alle eingehenden anrufe werden mir als unbekannt angezeigt. wäre dankbar für einen tipp. lg

hey tofu, willkommen im forum :slight_smile:

Hierzu gibt es bereits einen anderen, englischensprachigen Thread hier im Forum: Bug: Android 10 FP3 - Unknown Caller
Im ersten Post ist auch gleich ein Workaround beschrieben, wie das Problem (bis zu einem Update seitens Fairphone) umgangen werden kann :slight_smile:

2 Likes

also sprach der support:
I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We have recently become aware of this issue related to unknown calls on some Network Operators after the Android 10 software update.

Normally this is related to the SIM card Caller ID set as hidden.
Make sure:

• Your caller sets the Caller ID as visible.
  • Your device is updated to the latest Fairphone OS v.045 (Build number 8901.3.A.0045.20200905)

If that doesn’t solve the issue and the problem happens with different callers, as a temporary workaround we suggest to do the following:

1. Go to Network & internet > Mobile network > Advanced
  2. Click and disable the option “Enhanced 4G LTE Mode”.

If that still doesn’t help, you might also need to disable Wifi calling.

1. Go to the phone app (blue icon)
  2. Click on the three dots icon (top right corner) > Calling accounts
  3. Select the sim card you are using
  4. Click on Wi-fi calling and disable it.

Additionally, if not specified already, we kindly ask you to specify the network provider(s) and country where experiencing the issue. In this way I will log your details and forward them to our developers.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience. We are truly grateful to our customers for supporting our mission.

I will keep your request on-hold and I will get in touch as soon as we have any news.
If you have any questions in the meantime, please let me know.
ich hoffe, irgendwas davon hilft euch!

1 Like

Vielen lieben Dank für eure Antworten! Habe das Problem lösen können. Bei mir hat dieser Tipp geholfen:

1. Go to Network & internet > Mobile network > Advanced
  1. Click and disable the option “Enhanced 4G LTE Mode”.

LG

I experienced the same loss.
Find a way to have them back.
Go to the parameters of the Contacts
Select the three lines icon on top left of screen
Select “Parameters” / then “Contacts management” (in french I have “gérer les contacts”)
Select “Import” / Tick SIM Card and “Ok”
That’s it !

Sorry I mean Contact Apps…

Das hat bei meiner Schwester jetzt auch geklappt - (das konnte sie als normale Userin auch selbst machen) - sie ist so froh, danke!!!
GlG

@ Importing a *.vcf file: In German UI, within the 3-line-icon-menu, the entries are called “Einstellungen” and “Importieren”. Just one entry below is “Exportieren” for exporting i.e. creating a backup file. To my observation, it contains also images but not SIM card preference.

@MG_phonehaver & @ilsen Installing the app myLocalAccount gives a feature like “device” contacts in Android 9. It will create an account that you can use just like any “online” (=cloud synchronized) account, i.e. create, import etc. contacts in that local account, but these contacts stay only on the phone (=are offline) according to the publisher. This seems reasonable as it does not request network access permissions (but AFAIK some basic networking is always allowed). This works fine for around 2 weeks now.

BTW, I walked through SMS and calls that 1) happened since last backup and 2) now show only a number - these are potentially lost contacts.

FYI, you can select which Google account to use for contacts and calendar entries, so the phone has all the information, but each Google account just a part.

2 Likes

"Installing the app myLocalAccount gives a feature like “device” contacts in Android 9. "
It sounds good, I’ll try that, I 'll generate a contacts.vcf backup each week, either on cloud or on my computer. It will cover the risk of phone break out, I guess.

1 Like

Jumping late into this thread after being redirected from my OP :
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/android-10-upgrade-no-more-local-contact-account/67988?u=benvcarlson
My contacts database is in Outlook on my PC (in a local PST file for historical reasons) -> manual sync using MyPhoneExplorer no longer works b/c the local phone account is now history it seems.
So in an attempt to find a workaround, I tried moving my Outlook contacts from the PST to my online (Hotmail) account, then enabling Outlook/Hotmail as a Contacts account (Outlook for Android is installed) in the Contacts app.
Surprise: sync works only one-way: contacts created in this account on the phone get replicated to my Outlook/Hotmail account (as seen on the PC), but none of the existing contacts in Outlook/Hotmail are visible on the phone !!!
All sync setting I know are enabled for Outlook on the phone…
Any clues ???

Update:

ooops, after adding a new contact on the PC side, all Outlook/Hotmail contacts are now visible in Contacts…this may be just a coincidence and due to a sync delay…strange.
And existing SMS, WhatsApp chats, Phone calls get now properly resolved to the corresponding names…

I have now to decide whether to keep my contacts online with Hotmail or install the MyLocalAccount app and return to no-cloud contacts management and manual sync…
A matter of perception of privacy/security and unnecessary use of bandwidth (cf. the braoder thinking about “why should this data be in the cloud when I’m happy with pure local storage and contribute to the general data overconsumption?”), I guess…

Hi,
I found this topic by accident while checking whether new FP3 3.a.0066 update would have similar bugs???
My situation was very close to some others here.
Before the Android 9 > 10 upgrade, I used;

• all google apps are disabled and no contact (or agenda or anything at all) is in google account. Syncing google was deactivated from start,
  • all contacts (and all other data) in local account are synchronised to Windows 8.1 PC, using My Phone Explorer (MPE). I am not fond of cloud backups for reasons already mentioned above, and my pc is automatically backed up twice a day to 2 local hard drives.
  • I used most of ‘Simple’ applications, including Simple Contacts and Simple Dialer.
  • After the upgrade, I lost all visibility of my contacts in these 2 apps, but I still had them all in MPE and in my PC’s Outlook .pst file.

Solution found after testing half a dozen ‘contacts’ and/or ‘dialing’ applications, preferably from f-Droid, but also from Play Store:

• All contacts became visible in ‘True Phone Dialer & Contacts & Call Recorder’ app (from Play Store. Pity this is not a free app and not available from f-Droid!).
    I cannot remember whether they became spontaneously visible (i.e. they were still on the phone and this new app ‘saw’ them) or they appeared after a full synchronisation with MPE? But they did, the same day, and they were stored in the ‘Telephone’ local account. So I kept and am still using this excellent application.
    It has 2-3 minor glitches:
  1. the default account, when creating a new contact, is always Google account. I have to be careful to change it to ‘Telephone’ account immediately, when I create a new contact. This cannot be changed afterwards(!?!)
  2. the free version displays adds. It is really worth buying, but you can also use f droid’s Blokada to block all ads on all apps (and save battery at the same time).
  3. it is NOT a free app, and I regret that, but its license mentions:
    Phonebook or Contact information
    We will access the Contacts, Call history and SMS database, which is limited to the use of the machine. Data will not be sent to a third party unless you share a contact. When you use the contact backup and local contacts account function, contact information is saved to the device SD card or internal storage, other applications that can access the SD card will be able to read the data.

I have to trust the developer, who is in Russia.

P.S. I took this opportunity to close all of my Outlook operations, created a new agenda in Thunderbird (which already stored all my last 15 years of emails and had many duplicates of my contacts) and used MPE to synchronise all agenda and contacts into Thunderbird on the PC side.
Works perfectly, much simpler and better than with Outlook, and I would highly encourage anyone to use that configuration :heart_eyes: (Fairphone <> My Phone Explorer <> Thunderbird).

Have fun!

1 Like

I have the same problem after the last update, all the contacts from the mobile and WhatsApp have disappeared, and when I wanted to return them from my Google account, I failed to do so.