Wrist strap on FP3 | FP3+

Under About Phone > Model, I only have two items greyed out.

Model
FP3

Serial number
xxxxxxxxxxx

There is no subcategory ‘Hardware version’. Maybe this is something that is changed by iodéOS?

Click on Model

Settings > About phone > Model > Hardware version :slight_smile:

I can’t. It doesn’t exist. The two items I showed above are greyed out, you can’t click them to delve any further.

1 Like

Ok I’ll find another way :slight_smile:

Try this dial *#*#66#*#*
Then Service info > Model info

That doesn’t work either. When I put the very last asterisk, the whole dialling string suddenly disappears and so I cannot actually dial anything. Up until the penultimate character (the hash) the string remains visible.

This only works with stock OS and you are on Iode as you mentioned…

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t get that you were using iodéOS

I suspect that since iodé supply a single OS image for both FP3 and FP3+, they simply set the phone model as FP3 and don’t have (or don’t use) any tool to differentiate between the two, at least as far as naming is concerned. It would just be nice to have some way to verify and be absolutely sure.

If you didn’t get a bumper and you have an opaque back cover and white rims around both cameras then it’s more that just likely you have an FP3+

So you bought it with the deafult OS and installed iodeOS?

Yes. Ten seconds with stock Android made me feel so depressed I seriously contemplated abandoning and reselling my Fairphone straight away and sticking with my half-broken, ten-year-old Nokia.

Whilst iodéOS/Lineage/eOS might still be Android, the freedom from the creepy eyes of Google (and anybody else) matters enormously to me. I think I’ll still be interested in switching to a Linux phone with Plasma Mobile one day, when it’s truly ready to be a daily driver.

To return to where this topic started, if any manufacturer could produce an open phone much smaller-sized, not a giant unwieldy brick, and with a wrist strap attached, I’m there!

I don’t subscribe to Google, Amazon, Ebay, Facebook etc. etc.

So I started the phone without a google account, likewise my Win 10 withou a Microsoft account. The used adb to remove as may google apps as I could.

There is so much tracking that it cannot be avoided, maybe with the VPN option exceptions. But actively subscribing is not something I want.

I’ve nothing to hide from trackers nor Google but I don’t want to feed the monsters and just have a simple phone experience. The de-googled default OS doesn’t bother me.

Smaller with a wrist strap ? sadly the FP4 is even bigger and heavier :frowning:

No, the FP3 and the FP3+ have different Sizes. Cant remember witch one is bigger, not much, but there is a difference, in wide and high. Some Month ago i could compare them.

That cant be true or how would the display module fit on both?

1 Like

They are definelty the same size, but the FP3 does come with a bumper :slight_smile:
https://shop.fairphone.com/en/fairphone-3-plus

The differences are the camera modules and the core module, with the only outer dif being the back cover and bumper presence.

FP3 without bumper

Length 158 mm
Width 71.8 mm
Thickness 9.89 mm
Weight: 189g

FP3+ No bumper

Length 158 mm
Width 71.8 mm
Thickness 9.89 mm
Weight: 189g

3 Likes

Do you have the dimensions for the original FP3 with bumper?

One of the reasons I was more interested in the FP3+ over the FP4 was that it was (marginally) smaller. And I’m in no desperate hurry for 5G or anything else the FP4 has to offer. I was looking seriously at getting the PinePhone Pro, though that has roughly the same large dimensions, or the Volla phone (around the same, possibly fractionally smaller, but fractionally wider, I forget). I’m already finding that I can’t fit the Fairphone into any pocket on any clothing comfortably. I have to take a bag with me wherever I go. Progress.

The FP3 is smaller than the FP4.

No! I’ve had a quick look and suggest you do a thorough search if it is important to you :slight_smile: I’m not sure why you would want those figures as you are looking for something smaller??

Why would you want the exact measurements. Probably just add a few mm each way??? Maybe 2 front and back and 2 around the sides.

See

Length 161.6 mm
Width 76 mm
Thickness 12.98 mm
2 Likes

It’s purely curiosity, to prove my suspicion that the official rubber protective case must be a more snug fit on the original FP3 with bumper, than on the FP3+ without.

The case will not go ‘on the original FP3 with bumper’ it replaces the bumper

The phones, the FP3 without the bumper or the FP3+ without the case are the same size.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.