Wifi network problems after upgrade to android 10

Hi there,
I seem to have the same issue.

Before the update to Android 10 everything was fine with my wifi.
But since then I experience exactly the same as you described…

I currently have no solution.
I use a Telekom Speedport Smart 3
With one 2,4 GHz and one 5Ghz network (separate)

1 Like

I’d like to backup above scenario. Since the upgrade to Android 10 on FP3 I am suffering from instable Wi-Fi connection. More often than not FP3 is using my 4G. Other devices in our household do not have that problem and FP3 did not have it with Android 9 neither.

• Running Android 10 8901.3.A.0045.20200905.
  • Rebooting FP3 does not do the trick.
  • Same behavior for 2.4GHz as for 5GHz

Would love to see advise on solving this issue.

I can confirm this, since the update to Android 10 I also experience regular interruptions of the internet connection with the Fairphone 3. The WLAN however remains connected. The router used is also a Speedport Smart 3.

You might want to try setting the 5 GHz network to a lower channel manually. Instructions can be found on p. 211 of the SpeedPort Smart 3 Handbuch

Good luck,
Thomas

2 Likes

Same problem here, seems to getting worse. First restart helps but now it disconnect sometimes after 10-20 seconds.

For me, this has solved the issue. I changed the set WIFI channel from channels 100, 104, 108, 112 to the lower channels 36. 40, 44, 48. Since then there was no more instabilities in wifi conncetion.
Do you have an idea what the cause of this issue is?

1 Like

I bought an FP3+ recently and this is the first major issue I’ve noticed.

Changing my radios to indoor channels is not a solution for me. How can I help get this diagnosed and resolved?

Hi Thomas,

router model is same as of Josh-Au. A Telekom Speedport Smart3.
It is capable of some “smart” wifi functions … it was described to me as a kind of “focus” of the wifi send/receive power to connected devices instead of unfocused broadcast.
Sinced it becomes harder and harder to get some verbose information from apps and devices i can’t tell what kind of technologies it uses. Shiny black boxes in white shiny shells.

I feel sorry for my late reply … I wasn’t online at the one computer where I logged in … and I didn’t have my account data stored somewhere else.

I wonder if there are some tricks to get more informations from my running android. Some tracking of current network connections and stuff.

Maybe I am too old for all those new and shiny and silent stuff… it happens wayyy too often that an app or device just is doing whatever it is doing … and all the things I might want to have an eye on or customize or make an alternate decision just happen “somehow” and “somewhere”. Example: when I download something … it becomes more and more common that it just is stored “somewhere” in the fog or maybe at my device … i sometimes just can guess or hope or pray. (i prefer to say fog, not cloud)

Hi Michael,

kind of absurd to write in English when this is obviously about a Deutsche Telekom router, but anyway: it would definitely make sense to bring up your issues over at the Telekom hilft Community. A quick search

https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=SpeedPort%20Smart%203%20WLAN-Probleme&noSynonym=false&location=category:service_forum&collapse_discussion=true

shows that you are not alone. Let us hope that somebody over there has already found a solution or at least a workaround.

Finger crossed,
Thomas

Maybe this is a different issue, but I’ve used multiple radios from multiple vendors (Ruckus, Cisco, Zyxel) and am still seeing this issue.

My home personally uses a Ruckus T300 AP. It appears to be fine with all my other devices, as well as my other two Android 10 phones, and I’m assuming my two housemates Android 10 phones.

Today I will run a ping test to my gateway with the screen left on and compare results across different channel ranges.

Well it doesn’t hurt to write in English, as we are all struggling with in essence the same problem. That FP3 since the recent upgrade to Android 10 looses it’s Wi-Fi. :slight_smile:

I have done as suggested earlier and changed the Wi-Fi channel to anything below 100. Now the STB is unhappy, as it is using 5GHz, too.

I hope FP will soon release an update …

1 Like

About the same problem here, since last systemupdate yesterday (update 5 Oct.) (not since upgrade Android 10, although?) Sometimes, after reset router and restart FP3, for a little while (up to app. 1-2 minute at the most) wifi-connection. I wouldn’t blame the router but the systemupdate! Please do something about that! In the meantime back to factorysettings? Very annoying!

Mads

I have a very similar problem, not sure if it is exactly the same as described above:

My Fairphone 3+, just have it since some weeks, always disconnects from wifi for 2 or 3 seconds, then reconnects immidiately. This happens around two times per hour.
For some use cases this is not a big deal. But for me this is a huge problem:

• Disconnect and reconnect from Chromecast all the time.
  • Interrupting SSH-connections and downloads.
  • Streaming music is interuppted.
    And much more.

Some details: I am using 2.4-GHz networks only. It happens with bluetooth turned off or on. It happens in different networks / with different routers.
Phone was shipped with Android 10 and it happens in all versions / updates since then.

I have contacted the support, but it seems like they have to deal with a lot of bug reports recently and had no time yet the answer.

But if somebody has an idea to fix it: Would be very appreciated, as this bug is driving me mad and makes the phone impossible to use (except regular phone calls).

Just got a fresh FP3+ on December 30th, and the first thing I noticed while playing with it is that the WiFi disconnected all of the sudden and then reconnected. Now on day 12, this seems to be happening several times a day. Makes the phone really hard to use, especially for use cases like video calling.
I’m using Ubiquiti Unifi accesspoints (Lite and LR) and no other WiFi device in my home has this issue.
To all who replied earlier - how is your situation now, any updates?

No updates on my side, the reconnections still happen (OS v66).

Yes, in my case one or two times per hour. Very annoying.

As said in another thread, Fairphone will release a new OS version tomorrow. It is meant to solve issues with phone reboots and brings back calling functionality for some problematic carriers. And I put all my hope in, that this update will also fix the WiFi and some other issues.

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

I experience also wifi disconnects since updating to Android 10 on my fp3. It seems that the Phone disconnects (and afterwards reconnects) after successful roaming from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz and vice versa. As a workaround set wifi frequency band to use only 2.4 GHz at fp3’s preferences of the affected network, this makes wifi stable again but results in speed loss.

Android versions 10 and 11 from other brands seem to be also affected - so Fairphone support should escalate this behavior at Google/Android developers side to have the issue fixed for us in the future!

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Good to read, that the workaround is doing OK.
There is an update anounced for tomorrow (see the posting above yours). I guess, it could come later to some users, as the rollout is done by the network providers.
Maybe this issue is solved by that update as well.

Otherwise I would advise, to contact support direct by mail or phone and let them know.
As this is a community forum, there are no support members here, reading all the postings. Therefore it is - unfortunately - not guaranteed (or rather unlikely), that support will take notice of your findings. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your response! I don’t think that the problem will be fixed with the next update because a related bug report is already created at Google (https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/168988288) and nobody there mentions that a fix is on the way.

Last time I reported an issue to Fairphone support it took me hours to collect the requested information and at the end the issue was fixed six months later :)) This time where a bug report at Google is already written and a lot of Google Pixel customers are already pissed off, I hope the issue will be fixed at Android and afterwards at Fairphone automatically without my direct intervention. I posted the workaround to help people here until then.

2 Likes

That’s just one possible reason for the reconnects. In my case, I only use 2.4 GHz networks. No roaming between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz or between different access points. There are just reconnects even when having 100% signal - other devices on the same network have a stable connection all the time.

Not all people can do that because they are affected by the “wifi band switcher becomes invisible”-bug. Same do I. So there is no chance to switch or disable wifi bands :wink:

Let’s all hope for the release of the new OS version! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My solution at the moment: Turn on Airplane mode for some seconds, turn off, Internet “work” again for a while