Why does "system" edit my posts while I'm still typing them?

Today I posted two replies, and while I was typing, “system” apparently edited my post. Funny thing is, nothing was changed, but my posts have both the red “edit” tag, and my log (when I click on my icon) shows “system” edited my post.
What is that? It’s a little annoying BTW. :confused:

Sometimes it will remove a full quote if you are immediately answering and you selected.

Sometimes it will change the link if it’s an image that already exists, that you’ve referred to.

Next time take a closer look, it took me a while to work those two out.

Yes, I’ll keep an eye on it. The quote thing might apply to one or two posts (although I rarely make a full quote, I usually just highlight the parts I’m answering to), but it did happen also without my quote being removed. I didn’t link to images. Strange.
IMHO it’s some kind of bug, because about that same time my preview pane (on the right side of the composer panel) disappeared entirely, and I wasn’t able to make it come back without restarting my Firefox. :thinking:
Oh well.

Check which interface you are using for the preview panel disappearing, there is ref to that in another topic.

In my case it was most certainly a Firefox soft crash, as preview appeared normally (and is still there) after I restarted Firefox. Then again I leave it running all day in a background workspace, so it does go stale sometimes. -shrug-
Thanks nevertheless.

1 Like

You might check on https://meta.discourse.org if it’s a known problem.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look at it if/when I have time to spare. Unfortunately days only have 24h around here…

2 Likes

Yikes, since a few days the forum gives me that “your post was edited, reload” message every single time I post something, regardless if it contains quotes, links (or whatever else the forum might have strong opinions about).

I haven’t noticed any actual changes, it usually just discards whatever I wrote in the last 5-10 seconds, but it’s definitely very annoying, especially when happening several times in a row, not to mention the “your post was censored, please acknowledge” aspect of it! :rage:

Edited to add: It even happened on that post here, and before I inserted the smiley (frownie?).

The only times it has happened to me is

• If I quote a whole post and I am directly responding to it, the quote gets deleted
  • If I grab the URL of an image to embed I get a - later - notification that the URL has been changed to an internal path

Well, as you see above, none of those applies… No quote, no URL.

The only thing I see is that it happens after a short while, it doesn’t (have time to) happen if I’m faster…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.