Why can't I set my shipping options to America for the fairphone 4?

Just stating that selling phones that are supposed to last the longest possible doesn’t look like a profitable business that’s all.
There’s a reason why every technolgical device now has planned obsolescence embedded: because it’s profitable. Not doing it is very cool, just wondering what makes it viable for them.

But yeah, maybe I’m wrong. I guess we’ll see.

Not doing it is very cool, just wondering what makes it viable for them.

Nothing. They are doing it because it is the right thing to do. Nothing more. It saddens me that we live in a world where this is considered weird.

6 Likes

There are more than 10,000,000,000 cellphones out in the world. Even sustainable phones won’t last forever. Let’s say Fairphone aspires to capture 10% of the market someday, so they have 1,000,000,000 phones in circulation. Let’s say those phones last an average of 20 years (wouldn’t that be something!). That’s still 50,000,000 new phones per year to be built (or the parts count equivalent). I think their business model will be fine if the phones succeed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can only but hope so !

1 Like

Hmm! Fairphone sold around 200,000 FP3s

If the fair-trade catches on ~ 500,000 in a few years maybe.

Modularity can be done at half the price

Me too. FP4 user on the US West coast getting 4G/5G from T-Mobile on their basic $15/mo. pay-as-you-go plan.

1 Like

Just adding my voice to the chorus of “I want a USA Fairphone4!”
If the problem really is FCC, maybe we can start a Kickstarter of Indiegogo to pay for FCC compliance.

If that isn’t the problem, what is it?

You can have one shipped to the US via a reseller.

I don t have the info why it s not in the USA. I hope with theire last money round they will expand to gain more market shares.
My two cts on this is about the radio module compatibility: I am in France and it took them 10 monthes to make it work great on the Free Mobile network. I don t know nothing about how those modems work…but I can tell you its fairephone 4 + free mobile was a pain. But other users on orange and SFR I think had no problems.
I guess they would need to have a partnership with at least one US carrier and make it work across USA…

The topic is “Why can’t I set my shipping options to America for the fairphone 4?”

Hasn’t that been clarified? Fairphone clearly state which countries they support.

Anyone can buy a non supported phone via clove.co.uk for example.

So you seem to be focusing on the ‘radio module’ which has nothing to do with the topic ?? [Shipping options]