Which usb-c dock for FairPhone4?

One of my “dreams” since I bought a FairPhone2 is to use it as a desktop computer.

It seems this can come true using a usb-c dock with FairPhone4.

As I am new to this, which one would you, readers of this post, recommend ?

I think we’ll have to wait a little longer. The device is too new. There are none on the market yet

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be irrelevant? I assume that there is a standard that the FP4 implements and you just need to find a dock that supports that standard.

6 Likes

I believe it has to do with the OS supporting desktop mode. I’ve been using Dex desktop mode on my Galaxy S10 with a j5Create USB-C dock as well as the Nexdock 360 lapdock. Once /e/OS or Ubuntu Touch, etc. are ready for the FP4 you should be able to use their desktop modes. I just received my FP4 yesterday and can’t wait for this too.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.

I believe that (experimental) desktop mode is available with default OS of FairPhone4 (Android 11).

I was going to try this USB-C dock but item was lost during shipment ! :sob:

Nexdock 360 lapdock or j5Create seems “too big” for me (although they seem really convenient ! :wink: ).

Edit: typographic error

Hi, I don’t have my Fairphone 4 yet (Soon hopefully!) but I do have a couple of USC-C docks; one Surface travel dock and one generic chinese one. I’m also interested to see if the Desktop Mode is available so I’ll test these and report back.

3 Likes

So far two USB-C docks I’ve tried have worked correctly. The built in Android 10 Desktop Mode does work after enabling it from the developer menu. At the moment its a bit of a mixed experience as some apps still only load up on the phone screen.

3 Likes

FYI, I finally go my USB-C dock and could give it a try:

I must say it fullfills all my expectations ! :smiley:

3 Likes

I finally got around to enabling Force Desktop Mode and Floating Windows on the FP4 and connecting it to the NexDock 360. It works a lot like Samsung Dex.
I’m able to resize windows, and use the DuckDuckGo browser, Simple Calendar & K-9Mail like desktop apps. I’ll test more apps and other USB-C/HDMI docks and report back.

4 Likes

A mobile phone is no desktop computer replacement. The hardware is simply optimized for a different use case. It might work as proof of concept, but that’s about it. I would not waste time and money with this.

Best wishes,
Thomas

This is oversimplified. In fact, a lot depends on what you’re actually doing on a PC. Do you need some kind of specialized software? Well, yeah, you’re out of luck. Do you just browse the web, watch videos and use some kind of office suite? I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work. The hardware is more than capable.

2 Likes

very clear veto.
I know several people who do this and are completely satisfied with it.
Not every user needs the power of a desktop computer.
Many do not do more on the PC than on the smartphone itself.

Therefore, it’s daring to talk about a “proof of concept”.

That may well be the case in your use case, but, as I said, many see it differently. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.