I just bought the FP3 which works great (at last a good battery life, yeah!) and my good old FP2 is going to end up being my father’s first smartphone.
I was wondering which OS I could install for him knowing:
- he is no tech specialist at all,
- he primarily wants to take and send pictures with the smartphone, but I think he will enjoy having a smartphone for doing whatever he normally does on a computer (emails, bank account management, browsing the web, watching YouTube videos…),
- I’ll buy him a new battery and new bottom module (because it’s not under guarantee anymore and the microphone just died - again),
- He has no Gmail address (only a Yahoo! Mail account), doesn’t use Facebook (no account),
- The phone had problems receiving SMS when offline (no reception when back online), and it seems not to be a SIM card issue because I’ve tested it in another phone.
I thought about giving a go to Lineage OS or FPOOS for him for privacy purposes and maybe a decent battery life, knowing how poor it is on FP2 with FPOS… But as I said he’s no tech specialist at all (I’ll have to explain him how Android works) and I’m afraid I won’t be able to help him with updates in case of trouble (I can’t visit him regularly as he lives far from me), and last but not least, I don’t know these two OSes at all (I switched from FPOS’s Android 7 on my FP2 to classic Android 9 on my FP3).
The good news is he will take it at Christmas, so I have time to try a few things out…
So what would you advise me to do for him? Knowing I could also just perform a classic hard reset and keep it on FPOS, which I know well…