Where to send my old phone to recycle?

As long as I remember, the IMEI is supposed to be a very long number. All I see here is a number with begins with FP, followed by 7 digits… I guess thats not it.

Ok, I‘m out, no need to behave like that.

Dismantle the case and the rim. When you then hold the phone with the screen up you can see at the left side of the white case a barcode and the 2 IMEI numbers starting with 357197069xxxxx

3 Likes

Sorry Gandalf, I definitely didnt want to offend you.

OK, under the rim! Thanks a lot, found it. Unfortunately, the web replies that the IMEI is not valid. I quadruple checked.
I there really no address to which I could send the phone on my own costs?
I lack the time to do all this research…

I will try to find the address for you. Give me a few days.

1 Like

You could see if any local fairphone Angels want it for part, fp2 part are getting really hard to find.

https://angels.fairphone.community/

3 Likes

Can you still boot the FP2?

If you can boot it, go to the Android settings, last menu item “About the phone” (translated from german) and look at about the middle of the list for the IMEIs.

PS: You could dismantle the FP2 and send the system board with the internal storage to FP and give the other parts to someone else.

You cant send parts to Fairphone…

You are right, just complete mobile phones are accepted.

Point being?
Perhaps you want to keep the paperwork for your next phone as long as you have the phone, the legal framework might not anticipate correctly how long we use devices :wink: .

“This is due to security and legal requirements. Instead, we encourage you to recycle your old phone(s) via an electronic waste point local to you. If you do not know where to find it, please consult your municipality website.”

(https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409533230865)

2 Likes

Hello Katka,
here is your solution: send it to me!
My FP2 would be delighted to meet a peer in its sunset years. It might even regain confidence knowing there is a hip replacement donor at hand. I want it to live up to it’s 10th birthday. That must be about 300y in human years, right? Is there a Mathusalem Club out there?

5 Likes
2 Likes

Hi @Katka, I reached out to you in a private message with a solution, but feel free to send it to @sesame instead if you prefer - I like the idea of having an “organ donor” at hand. :wink:

@sesame: That’s really impressive! I am not sure there is a club (yet), but here’s another prospective member who my colleagues ran into in Berlin by coincidence a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

Hi Anna, thank you very much for your messages. I will send to the one which is nearer, to be seen with sesame…

Point being… my worry about scalability of such a procedure. If keeping a paperwork for seven years is required in order to be able to dispose of a product correctly, I am afraid that majority of people won’t do it (read: won’t dispose correctly and will just throw it in thrash or keep in their junk drawer forever). And how is the civil war in Congo ever going to end when recycling every tiny bit of conflict minerals is ever so complicated?

I gather that some people perceived my previous comment as agressive, I am sorry about that, that was definitely not my intention. I will do my best to keep the current paperwork for as long as it takes, but I find it hard to believe that there are no easier solutions…

Thanks a lot for your advice

Hi Sesame,

Congratulations to you keeping your FP2 for so long. I couldn’t. (it breathed in all the dust of Sahel during three years, it fell several times into the marshes in South Sudan, it has been charged on very unstable grids for years on end… and now it is resting in peace).
Can you tell me in which city you are in? I would be happy to send it to you if you are closer than the company.

Thanks

Hello Katka,

I am very impressed where you spend your life. (I assume your FP didn’t go to Africa without you.) Are your a journalist ? Or working for an NGO ? An embassy? But surely they would have supplied you with the latest I-Phone? Sorry for being so nosy.

I live in France, in Mantes-la-Jolie (between the Paris area and Normandy).
I’m not sure if that makes me closer than the company, as I don’t know where you are. Your name sounds Czech?
I can also provide addresses in Vienna (parents), Luxembourg (sister), Germany (friends), if that improves my chances. But from South Sudan that all must look pretty much the same.

But I could of course pay for the postage.
If you are not in Australia.

Mona

3 Likes

Hello Anna,

thanks for the link to that other FP dinosaur.
You never walk alone :slight_smile:

Best,
Mona

Hello Sesame,

Sorry for the delay in my replying. If still interested, can you please send me your address at (see PM)
Thank you and best wishes for 2024.

Kat.