When will the FP3 Bottom Module be back in Stock - missed another time (back in stock per 07-10-2023)

And how do you ensure someone is erasing, angel? Or not looking before erasing? Or checking that customer did it, provided he/she could at all?

Well, you cannot, not even with 4 eyes.

Besides, my main question regards the legislation, if any.

they cant look as long as a lock pin or similar is set they just do a factory reset to be able to access to device

In my understanding, when sending a phone in (to other phone repair centers at least), they require you to reset the phone to factory standards for two reasons:

• there’s no reasonable way to hold them accountable for data theft (since there is nothing to steal)
  • the customer is aware that his phone is reset (because often, part of the repair routine is a re-flash to the latest firmware). Imagine you send your phone with all the data on it, and you receive it completely empty.

But this is rather off-topic, I understand people don’t want to send in their phone if they could just buy a new USB port off the shelf and install it themselves (or let the local Angel do it).

6 Likes

Any new updates? Website had previously said ‘by end of September’ - today is the 30th. Website now says no date reference.

Oh great, apparently I am joining an ever growing club of FP3 users who desperately want to repair (or try to) their phones and can’t! I’m still waiting for the user support peple to reply- since the FP5 has just launched i am lost in the crowd noise :frowning: I guess I’m gonna have to wait and use my dumb phone. However, I can’t run my business or pay my bills without it so I’m going to have to search hi and low for a spare phone at home (I don’;t think we have any, we use them til they don’t work) and I’ve had a to buy a dumbphone (least planetary impact) just so I can make calls!

1 Like

Why do you think the part is broken? Maybe it just needs some cleaning. What did you try to fix the problem already?

P.S.: Here you queued into the line of people complaining about a sudden death of their FP3.

That’s not caused by the bottom module. So what is the real problem with your phone?

3 Likes

It seems on this forum that the ‘bottom module’ causes the most problems with the model 3 and 3+, if you been reading the forum (even the seem description of charing problem)
Are it still the same ‘bottom modules’?

All I read here is that the ‘bottom module’ is not available and this problem continues.
What a rip off fairphone really is. Inserts on easy to repair yourself, but the do not offer the parts , what is the point af buying a fairphone if you can’t fix it?

Could you please communicate when the will be dispnible agian and don’t let your custumer down, with no charing possiblity you can’t use the phone :-s

Somebody any idea when to expect the parts?

PS; I my phone has 0% battery and is turnoffed automatically I can charge again (for now) as long as I don’t turn the phone on

I have the same problem as discricpted here (discriped few years a go an seems still a problem???)

1 Like

Does it mean you can charge your phone ? I am asking because in the link you refer to the person cannot charge the phone.

I can charge if the battery is complete empty and the phone stay off. If I connect to charge the fone seems to astart up and the Fairphone logo and a message that it ‘charges, do not disconnect’ dissepear.
But then the screen turns black, the charinlamp becomes red (there is no indication it is charging) but after a while the led becomes yellow and green at the end (99% percent recharge after start up)

It’s back in stock right now: Fairphone 3 Bottom Module - Modular design | Fairphone

5 Likes

As an engineer I’ve been fault tree analysing, working through the fixes I can from most to least likely. I can’t tell if it’s the bottom module or something else- it’s not the battery or charger as all of those are fine ( ordered a new battery, makes zero difference, still dead). No new bottom modules available to allow testing that so have had to ask helpline for a repair shipout/ quote. I’m now waiting for the shipping quote and paperwork- luckily I have a borrowed phone (but not a Fairphone) in the meantime. I am not willing to cook my phone in the oven but have had it apart and cleaned carefully what i can, checked the SIM etc, no obvious damage or dirt.

I’m now in a dilemma, carry on with a repair quote now i have actually got a reply, or buy yet more spares that might make no difference?

I don’t quite understand, the FP3 bottom module is in stock. You weren’t very specific about the problems you are experiencing other than you tried a new battery and your charger is ok, so I am assuming you can’t charge your phone. Where in the world are you? Have you tried a local angel? It seems likely if you are having charging problems and it isn’t the charger, the cable or the battery that the next most likely is the bottom module …

Sorry @Nobeone I’ve not been spending very long in here, trying to get everything else back on track for work- the phone died and went black, just like lots of others. It was partly charged at the time. There are no lights or screen and none of the easy fixes do anything, up to a new battery. When I wrote my original post there was no stock of bottom modules and had not been for months, always “jam tomorrow”. I was willing to try any simple fixes myself- but slightly lost the will to live after reading of so many people with the same issue. They’ve just come in literally this week about the same time I was finally talking to a help person about shipping, I know that the bottom module contains the charger element so it could still theoretically be something there to do with power circuits (are new batteries shipped fully charged? Probably not but with a minimal charge maybe so putting a new one in and seeing nothing on screen indicates more likely core module stuff). I’m not sure but by replying to the help person I have probably committed my phone to a trip to the repair depot in Europe anyway. The dilemma was (if I still have the option and if the bottom module hasn’t immediately sold out again) whether to bother trying the bottom module or just try to get it repaired. I’m a freelance sustainability consultant so I bought the phone explicitly for its repairability, so this is the acid test. I haven’t spent any time in this community before as I am normally busy getting my geek on about carbon footprints so was totally unaware of the angels- it doesn’t look like Fairphone have sent me any emails ever after the initial sale so I don’t get many updates or news lol.

Ah! Sudden death seems unlikely to be the bottom module. I think sending it to Fairphone for repair is not a bad idea in these cases unless you have a local angel. A new battery would come with some charge as you say, perhaps half full-ish. Your problem would not seem to be the bottom module. The jam has arrived :sweat_smile: but unfortunately your issues would seem to be more complicated. Good luck!

Agreed- don’t think there’s a local Angel (Is there a directory somewhere in here?). So, off for repair (or responsible disposal if it’s beyond that) it goes…

If you select “Go local” from the forum menu or follow this link Local Fairphoners address book (Fairphone communities) there is a list of Fairphone communities and angels around the world.

4 Likes

Thanks @Nobeone I’ll check that out!

1 Like

Hmm, having had a quick search around, not really up to date on any of the topics. I’m chatting with a London based one but they aren’t on that list (in fact no-one in London is!). Oh well, thankyou for the links at least, I’m ok for now, I’ll come back and find more people later when i need to! Thankyou.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.