Wallpaper and style’ setting (Material You) missing in FP4 version of Android 12?

I guess, I don’t have those (FP4, April 5th default OS and launcher) so I don’t know what/where/why those are supposed to be.
All I know is I don’t have anything like that in my “Settings/Wallpaper” menu… I’m just given the choice of 3 different apps to chose a wallpaper with.

1 Like

It cant be changed by settings, you can try to change the wallpaper also back to current one and see what happens. Otherwise you might want to check the App Repainter.

1 Like

Hi,
many thanks for your help.
repainter wants way too many priviliges in my opnion (root) and during start it said, it might not work, as the settings are not the way they should be.
I changed backgrounds, but had no luck. Is there any chance, that this will be fixed in the next month? I now have yellow buttons, or I can have brown buttons, … I mean: why the heck is such a feature needed? Compares to changing the car color, depending on the underground I drive. why?

thank you
Juergen

I neither understand why people need this, however as you can see above there seem to be need…
No one here knows how fast they will fix it, I would hope they just remove it, when they dont find a way to properly implement it in Android 12 and start anew with Android 13

I wanna change the color, because the given one is ugly and hurts my eyes.
In my oinien a feature to change the color would be such easy and no big deal. But I’m not a IT-person, don’t know how hard and complicated this is

Hi,
Sorry, but I really don’t like this feature. How can I disable it? I hope I can disable it…

2 Likes

See other topic, this is a standard Google feature, so unless you want to do some hacking maybe another OS you choose try.

Was this a reply to my message about the color thing with the buttons etc…? I’m not gonna change the OS. So if this is the only possibiliy I have to live with it.

1 Like

Google has also given you the option to edit these Material You settings. Which obviously doesn’t work here.
Constantly pointing the finger at others and the responsibility is certainly not goal-oriented.

Well you can say that, but they haven’t even on my A13, so good luck with the A12, so It’s live with it or live without it, so still only a user choice.

They have you already showed us the settings with a Screenshot?

The whole theme engine (“monet”) used to be a Pixel exclusive. Google open sourced it for A12L, but that’s only the part that calculates the accent colors from a wallpaper and not the additional config options, that’s separate.

Just because you can change something on a Pixel doesn’t mean other Android devices have access to it, the Pixels usually have several exclusive features.
Google might not have made an updated wallpaper picker available to OEMs for devices on A12, it’s hard to find clear sources on that.

All I know is that additional config options started to show up in CalyxOS (AOSP) with the A13 release, and the FP3 betas on A13 seem to have those options as well, which leads me to believe that this won’t be solved before an A13 release.

4 Likes

The Pic in # 80 is Android 12 and this Pic is Android 12, too. Both budget phones, released 2020 and 2023, patchlevel april '23, one on kernel 5.4 one on 4.19. So even an older 4.19 kernel would not automatically mean that a settings applet can’t be used. Not implementing it seems to be a FP decision.

(No device has an off- switch for this, unfortunately, unclear if Pixels had that, though.)

2 Likes

Android 12 oder 12L? Because it really seems it was available outside of Pixel Phones earliest with Android 12L and Fairphone OS is not based on 12L.

In that case I stand corrected.

I don’t think we’ll see an off switch for this any time soon, Google is pushing this hard with adaptive icons etc. (personally I’m all for it) :man_shrugging:

Do we know if the latest release didn’t switch to A12L? :thinking:
The update to L wasn’t that big and I can’t picture the devs spending time backporting / cherrypicking monet for A12.

Don’t have a stock FPOS device handy right now, could someone check Settings → About phone → Android Version (does 12L even show up as a seperate version?)

Settings say 12…

And no I guess we dont know for sure if they switched to 12L thats the only that was said officially I think

1 Like

I have to admit I had to search for the differences… The newer one of the two compared phones is Android 12, the older one I don’t know for sure, assume it’s 12, too, and FP is 12, too.

Maybe its one of those who implemend their own algorithm?

https://www.androidpolice.com/these-smartphone-brands-could-support-android-12s-dynamic-material-you-theme/

Overall I guess we can all speculate a lot and at the end that this will not change the situation and we dont know what Fairphone devs did, so need to be patient and wait

If that’s meant for me- don’t think so, vendor isn’t on the list and the older one is Android One. If I remember right they had to be quite close to vanilla Android?

My vanilla, fully updated (April 5) FP4 states right now:

Android version: 12
Kernel: 4.19 157-perf+
Build number: FP4.SP28.B.065.20230420

1 Like