VoWIFI works... sometime

Just to confirm, with either Flight mode or not, it can take around 23 secs to reconnect. This was a problem I thought I had solved, but now ???

I turned on airplane mode and then enabled and disabled Wifi quicky multiple times, without noticeable issues, VoWifi was always established within 5-10 sec once wifin connection is built. Same when I wait some minutes after setting airplane mode.

However, I did a third test with mobile data on and just toggle Wifi on/off and now I have Wifi call only on the SIM which I not use for mobile data.
Shorty setting into airplane mode fixed it.

The interesting thing I already noticed on my FP2 is, that the SIM which I use for mobile data, always has worth reception than the SIM I use only for telephony and both use the same network

ok, i tried with the pixel of my wife: if there is GSM signal, vowifi works too.
on my FP, if there is GSM signal, the vowifi does not work.

do you have this behavior too :
when i’m connected without wifi, here is what i see :

when i have wifi + gsm + vowifi, i see:

when i have wifi + gsm but no vowifi i see:

you see the small gap between the 2 gsm signal ?
can it be because of a “hidden” vowifi ?
(i can confirm that calls does not work if this is like this. so vowifi does not work)
like a “i tried to enable it, but it failed, and i’m stuck with a small space between both signals bars”
i don’t think because the vowifi is not at the same place. but…

also, when wifi is enabled, data is completely processed using wifi, not GSM right ? so why do i have the small icons showing data sometime:
(in this case, the small gap is gone)

also: i suppose dual sim is not an issue for vowifi ? (vowifi is disabled and unsupported but the other sim)

beta?
how do you join beta?

I think the FP2 hardware can only establish a LTE connection for 1 SIM - haven’t checked how the FP3 is behaving

Interesting - I just tested on my end again, and again same result as you :smiley:

However Iam still capable to trigger the behavior: this time I couldn’t rely on the 3-10 repetions with 10s exclusively but needed to put a few (max 3) times 30s steady wifi connection in between. And I waited a few times until the vowifi icon vanished after having disabled wifi.

Whole idea is to somehow trigger lots of log-on events at the provider in short timeframe and therefore being blocked for a short time, which seems to be <5s on my end. That’s why I don’t think waiting for longer times than 30s with WiFi (and vowifi available) will do the trick, cause then the threshould might reset. And this is just my own theory :smiley:

In a consequence, once it is possible to back this theory, one might suggest to fairphone support that a retry on establishing vowifi should reoccur after 5s, 10s, 30s - I think with my provider this should do the trick to increase availability.

1 Like
1 Like

Yes sure its the same on the FP3 and for the second SIM mobile data are off…this has overall nothing to do with this issue, other than reception of FPs seems sometimes weird, as 2/SIM in the same network should have same reception irrespective of mobile data turned on or not

The gap seems to be normal at least I have it when I turn VoWifi off on both SIM

I use it with both SIM without issues other than the described issue above.

OK
then it’s a mistery.

either this is because i’m on EIT, instead of directly connected to SFR ?
EIT allow you to select the network you want to use: Orange, SFR, Bouygues.
i selected SFR network behind, but i tried with orange
with orange: vowifi was working 1 time every 10 time
with SFR : it’s better, but still has disconnections…
did not tried with bouygues. but each swap between carrier cost me 10 €… so…

Upps, I think I wasn’t clear enough: it’s not about mobile data but really the connection standard - If you are on FP2 with 1 SIM on mobile data and LTE of course, the 2nd can at max connect via 3G (of course non-data). As it is voice only, and I don’t think VoLTE is working on the FP2, it might be that the SIM without data has the better signal connection strength due to lower frequency of 2G / 3G bands. Btw, does the FP2 keep its mobile data connection during calls? (sry for off-topic :D)

1 Like

Look at

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/new-release-beta3-a-0008/80727/4

that is a closed resource only available for beta testers :wink:

1 Like

Yes the offer to join has probably closed :frowning:
You would likely have to contact the OP of that topic to enquire.

Ah! . . . . . . . . . . . :frowning:

There was a time limit on new appointees.

apparently it’s closed.
so. i’ll wait. i hope a next update will solve my problem.

Again, this one is the correct one :wink:

And as the title suggests, I think it’s open atm. Don’t get confused by the inline description :cry:

1 Like

the FP2 is not able to use VoLTE so probably no but never really looked at it, while having a phone call I normally dont use internet connection or I use in parralel my company IPhone

Yes that makes sense🙈

1 Like

that’s not what is written inside:

1 Like

Sorry, my bad, I forgot to update the title of the thread. Sign-up is indeed closed at the moment. Sorry :frowning:

1 Like

Using VoWiFi at home a lot, as I am living in an old building with thick Walls. So if you’re not near the Windows, VoWiFi is the only possibility to call or get called.
But even with the option enabled to prefer VoWiFi its often not connecting and not showing the symbol for active VoWiFi.
WiFi is at full signal strength, 5Ghz enabled, no microwave or other electric device in the near. Sometimes I even get disconnected while being on a call.
WiFi itself sometimes still being connected - sometimes also disconnecting when call breaks up.
Other devices like Handheld Consoles or Notebooks dont have any trouble with staying connected to the WiFi.