Vote for your favorite color - Fairphone 3 Cases!

I give you, that the size of the phones have changed so much, that the cover as accessory would not be compatible.
Otherwise this problem is rather nonexistent.
The form-factor of the FP1 is nowadays not really marketable, as only a minority of customers would buy a phone this small.
So the FP1 protective cover is out of the question.
For the FP2 there was no such thing as a protective cover sold by FP themselves. The covers they sell are simply the first shell and part of the phone, not an accessory.
So compatibility of accessories is not really an issue with Fairphone, since they nearly don’t do in accessories. And the new headphones should fit all phones (at least for listening to music, while the handsfree functionality will not work for all).

And then there is this one very important factor:
Fairphone is a still developing project.
Especially the FP1 and FP2 were testing possibilities and developing technics as well as markets and demands.
The FP2 on that behalf showed, that the modular design was a bit overdone, causing troubles for quite a few (lot of) users.
So the FP3 had to be redesigned. And such redesign nearly inevitable leads to incompatibility. Or it would have limited the design-possibilities to try and do the construction within the smaller case of the FP2. E.g. the battery was something FP2 users often complained about. So a larger battery was needed. And that could hardly fit in the smaller FP2 case.

And finally; different from all the other brands, Fairphone is presenting a phone only every 3 to 4 years with as little accessories as neccessary. In that regard they are still more sustainable than the other smartphone companies.

8 Likes

And that’s why it is privacy wise sensible and neccessary not to share the account data.
Not every customer of Fairphone wants the data to be shared with a user community-forum managed by users, that they don’t use. By now this forum has about 21,000 accounts, while there are more than 200,000 phones sold. Since quite a few phones had more than one user, at least 90% of customers never registered for this forum. If only half the customers were buying theirs with Fairphone direct, it would still be no more than 20% registered here in this forum.

So it is rightfully a new decision to register for this forum, but you are obviously free to use the same data for logging in to both accounts; so it will not make a difference for you.

6 Likes

What’s the point of having a sustainable device if others do not follow by the example. You can’t influence big-brand-loyal consumers without at least meeting them halfway.

4 Likes

Looks like a forum bug - I get the same if I select a piece of text inside a quote and press quote.

1 Like

Ok, I edited it myself, the quote is now from the source … at least that works :slight_smile: .

I’m really happy that you’re making covers. while I like the bumper in general, a splash of colour would be nice, and I want an extra cover for if I want to mount it on my motorbike (I want to stick this https://www.rad.eu/nl/c/p/64319-sp-connect-universal-interface.htm to it and then use that cover as a motorcycle mount)

1 Like

I just wonder, if the cover is stable enough for this project or if it is made of a more flexible material (like the bumper).
Judging by the picture, it should be sturdy, but to make it adjustable will take some flexibility for sure. :thinking:

1 Like

When will this new Case be available to buy on the Fairphone homepage?

I need a case…!

Fairphone didn’t say yet.

If it’s urgent, I still have a fitting generic flip cover lying around to give away …

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fairphone-3-flip-cover-reboon-boonflip-xs2-black/55087

Well, Blaffi more or less confirmed it will be somewhat flexible, but whether it would hold the phone in itself well enough on a motorbike is probably hard to predict either way. Sturdy might “clutch” the actual phone in itself better, but flexible might absorb vibrations from driving more.

Thank u so much, but i don’t like flio cases…
So sorry i hope u find somone else who really can use it.

BLACK is coming soon

10 Euros off normal price if you sign up for availability notification
(Sign up until 21 May, use the discount until 22 October)

c820c1b9-0e2a-45b2-b6c9-4d5e1c67fbec

10 Likes

I wonder how long these letters will stay on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Nice! No frontpictures?

The front probably looks the same as the phone with the stock bumper on, only the bumper would be black now.

3 Likes

That sounds logical. :grin:

I find it very expensive, but it is useful.

I personally don’t see how a case like this is much better than the bumper.

2 Likes

Well, it protects the backside as well and it seems to be less volouminous than the bumper.
In addition it might not suffer from wearing out as easily as the bumper.
And it could be considered more stylish.

But I agree, that I would not get one of those for my own phone and would consider the bumper to be protection enough.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
In my case, I have an issue with the bumper. When the phone is on a table, it is not stable. When I use it while it is on the table, it “pivots”, like a chair or a table which is not perfectly fitted (I hope it is understandable, it is difficult for me to find the correct verb in English).
Do you have a way to solve it (I may create a new subject for this maybe) ? Anyway, I think that the new case will solve this little issue :slight_smile:

I actually agree with those who don’t see much additional protection resulting from the new case.

However, I think the main attraction will be the colour, but this will only show its full impact with the green case. This colour alone will probably be a major reason for people to buy the protective case. On the one hand because this very-dark-through-and-through FP3 will for the first time get at least a mildly bright colour option (imagine Darth Vader sporting a green helmet all of a sudden). And on the other hand, I really think that the green case will be something many will want to get to plainly express their political allegiance.

6 Likes