Upgrading from *official* 14.1 to 15.1 (feedback/issues)

Thank You so I should stay on 14.1 till there is a solution for Magisk

Hi Heide,
Magisk works fine for me. The only problem is…If you use magisk hide, you are unable to install any app.
Follow these steps:

1. Before you install Magisk, install Magisk Manager
  2. Install Magisk ( directly through magisk manager)
  3. Under settings within magisk manager, make sure Root is enabled for apps and adb.
  4. load and enable the module MagiskHide Props Config 4 within MagiskManager
  5. enable terminal emulator under System Settings -> System -> Developer Options ->Local Terminal
  6. open Terminal and type props (you will be asked to provide root access)
  7. Type 3 to edit MagiskHide props
  8. type 1 and y to change ro.debuggable to 1
  9. type 3 and y to change ro.build.type to userdebug
  10. type ‘e’ to exit and reboot your phone

If you deactivate magisk hide, you can install any app.
Thanks to @darioce for the above mentioned steps…

2 Likes

Thank you very much but unfortunately it starts with the beginning I can’t get permission to install unknown apps (like FDroid or MagiskManager or Mixplorer) I tried to change this new app TRUST - no chance so I went back to 14.1 but unfortunately this is no longer maintained

That is because you flashed magisk along with the Lineage OS zip file. It is then not possible to install any app. After you flash the LineageOS zip, don’t install anything else. Boot directly into system. Then install magisk manager. it will then ask for permission to allow unknown source. you cangrant it and go ahead with the installation. After that, install magisk and follow the other steps mentioned above.

Thank you very much!
I tried it once more and first it went well. LOS flashed restart in system FDroid and MagiskManager installed than flashed Magisk via MagiskManager, but that’s it:
after I’ve installed Magisk - with root permission etc no other app could be installed permission were asked and given but installation failed, even the update of FDroid failed… So I’m done with Fairphone, sorry but this is no solution either a Phone that works but has no longer security updates or forced to 15.1 but without the possibilities for real data protection - that is Nanodroid with MicroG, XPosed with LuaXPrivacy…

You can blame Fairphone for whatever, but blaming them for “lack of security updates” when they are only skipping some because they are working on the second system upgrade, excuse me, is simply lying.

Go find other vendor that officially supports all of this out there, or at least provides an official OS without Google. Neither Lineage OS does, for your info. Good luck in the search process (you’ll find none, btw).

1 Like

I think @Heide was referring to being forced to use LineageOS 14.1 (which no longer receives security updates), because the favoured Magisk configuration fails to work in LineageOS 15.1.

Maybe, but there is no way all his wishes can be fulfilled.

1 Like

Lineage is not supported by Fairphone, so definitely can’t blame them for not providing security updates. If you’d rather continue using Android 7, security updates will be provided by Fairphone for the official build. So if you’re switching from lineage 14.1 to the official build you won’t see much difference.

There is nobody to blame for lineage 15.1 being incompatible with things you wish to use, these things tend to get fixed over time by developers. You’d have to follow up with the app developers over the support they tend to provide

3 Likes

I’m not sure if it is a issue but the Ad Blocker Blokada from time to time suspends. With LOS 14.1 it wasnt a problem and i didnt need to activate the option to hold the app active and it always worked when i opened the browser. But now it becomes deactivated after a time and when i open the Quick Settings it becomes activated again.
I guess that the memory optimization deactivates it because i deactivated the battery optimization for this app.

Is it possible to have nine tiles in the quick settings again? I have only 6 now.

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/850n5m/lineage_os_15_quick_settings_tiles/

Thanks. 410dp works.
But everything gets a bit smaller.

Why do people insist on wanting/needing Magisk? What’s so special about it?

2 Likes
  1. With magisc you can add root rights to your system (for example titanium backup / ad block) and you can hide the root from other apps who don’t run with rooted phones (for example some banking apps)

2. You can install apps /modifications systemless, that mean the app/modification runs as a system app but without altering the system itself. (for example: xposed or gapps) you can switch off systemless apps/modifications just with a reboot.

2 Likes

My phone is rooted with the official LineageOS thingy, addonsu [1]. Whatever it is, Netflix and my bank app still works. So that “hide the root from other apps” is no issue for me. I use e.g. Aurora (Play Store frontend with material design) as root so it can automagically update. Although if you update while an app is open, you get data loss, so I cannot recommend that. The point is, all of that works. Yeah if I install Xposed I gotta reinstall it every week after every firmware update… that’s true, but I don’t have high demand for Xposed either.

[1] https://download.lineageos.org/extras

With magisc you don’t have to reinstall the mod/app/root because they are installed systemless. And after a system update, magisc is automatically reinstalled in twrp just after your system update.

If you don’t need to hidesu or xposed you are going fine with the addonsu from LOS…

Right, so how is that an advantage, security-wise?

Addonsu is located on my phone, and accessible with TWRP when I flash and do “add zip”. It takes an extra 5 seconds or so to perform that. There is nothing to hidesu; my device is authentic according to microG, Netflix works, bank app works. I am giving Aurora root access, sure, but if it were a systemless application it’d also have privileges akin to that.

Just FYI, you don’t really need to do that. addonsu includes a OTA survival script (check it at /system/addon.d/51-addonsu.sh) and will survive normal updates, unless you specifically wipe system before them.

4 Likes

Then for you there’s no need to use Magisk, but one of my banking apps for example, doesn’t work. Unfortunately it isn’t tricked by the Magisk hide root either, I guess it just recognizes LOS itself as unsafe. :frowning:

1 Like

I’m not sure if I might have missed it, is there a solution that during startup the PIN for the 2nd SIM can’t be entered, because the PIN-screen disappears fast and the locked screen is shown.
Only when switching flight mode briefly on and off, I’m asked to enter the PIN for the 2nd SIM.