Updating SailfishOS from an old version

Hello
I’m back and I shouldn’t have stay away from here so much… I stuck with the 3.0.0.8 version, the first I installed because It worked almost fine, just have a few bugs.

A few weeks ago I found that I regularly miss text messages, they won’t be received at all, sometimes they are received in the wrong order; since a year I can’t download offline OSM maps due to a format change and app not being compatible I read
A few days ago “Warehouse” got stuck didn’t work anymore and can’t be installed again (for a missing dependency I found)
I have to update …

I do backups on a sdCard regularly and will disconnect contacts and calendar sync before updating. Should I do something else ?

I would like to know the recommended update path, I read some topics that said jumping from an old to the last version would lead to problems, that’s why I’m asking.

Would it be okay to upgrade each major version, 3.1 → 3.2 → 3.3 … with any minor version available ? Or should I update with some specific well working versions ?

I have a version which cannot turn off the phone because of an Android bug, I suppose it’s fixed ? I have to update the bootloader for that ?

Thank you very much (and already thanks to @ mal for allowing us to use sailfishOS with your work!)

I just updated from 3.0.1.11 to 3.3.0.16 and ran into an issue that was resolved by first upgrading to 3.2.0.12. Other than this, I am not aware of any reason to add additional steps in-between since 2.0.5.6.

So you should be fine with 3.0.0.8 -> 3.2.0.12 -> 3.3.0.16, following the OTA instructions twice:

# on host:
ssh nemo@fp2

# on FP2:
ssu release 3.2.0.12
ssu lr
devel-su zypper clean -a
devel-su zypper ref -f
version --dup
sync
poweroff

# FP2 should reboot.

# Login to FP2, re-connect from host:
ssh nemo@fp2

# back on FP2:
ssu release 3.3.0.16
ssu lr
devel-su zypper clean -a
devel-su zypper ref -f
version --dup
sync
poweroff

# FP2 should reboot.

# Login, make sure all is fine, re-enable your syncs, enjoy! ;-)
1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hello again
I’m sorry for the dumb questions to come, I almost never did such an update (nor Flashing or it was years ago !)
I’m logged with ssh on the phone, over USB
devel-su command can’t be found from what it says. What could I do wrong or miss ?

Thanks

Hi,
You do not mention whether trying to access FP2 via Linux, Mac or Windows platform, however this thread may point you in the right direction: https://together.jolla.com/question/223443/solved-ssh-connection-to-sailfish-os-failed/?sort=votes&page=1

Hi
it was from a Linux host, but if I’m on a ssh session on the FairPhone how does it impact the result ? The ssh session works, only one command isn’t found
Thank you for the link, I’ll check what it says

Ok, the link talks about problems connecting to the phone, I managed that step, I can ssh nemo@pho.ne.ip.addr without a problem.

I just can’t use “devel-su” on the phone :slight_smile:

I can just guess as I never encountered this issue. But do you have ‘Developer Mode’ enabled on the phone? You find it in Settings under Developer tools. Other than this, I don’t recall having to do anything fancy to get devel-su since originally flashing 2.2.0.29-beta1 in July 2018.

2 Likes

Oh ! I thought it was already done and automatic as it displays a notification saying “Developper mode” when I plug the USB, but when I got in the menu you told, it was not activated
Thank you very much ! I’ll try to update again today

1 Like

You were right, it works now. I’m updating first step (3.2…) hoping for the best :slight_smile:

1 Like

It worked !
I’m on a lovely 3.3.0.16 version :heart_eyes: it seems to have fixed the shutdown bug …

Thank you all for help :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome to the future! :rocket: :wink:

Glad I could help. :slight_smile:

Hum… sorry to ask something again… openrepos applications work but storeman can’t find them and has trouble updating repos I re-activated after the updates.
I tried to use the maintenance feature from settings, to re-index all. It didn’t work
What can I do ?

Never mind …
I reinstalled a bad version of storeman, the previous was totally crashed before the updates, I re-installed a too old version after the upgrades…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.