Updating LineageOS 17.1 for microG via TWRP + feature test

Sure. Aurora is safe for installing apps AFAICT.

Flash the zip through TWRP. Though do a backup before, you never know.

3 Likes

That worked fine, thank you, merci beaucoup. However, afterwords the Fairphone Updater showed an update ready to be downloaded, same date as the one as I just did via TWRP. My question here is: does the Fairphone Updater show regular Lineage OS Updates, or those for Lineage OS for microG, which is currently installed on my FP2?

1 Like

The Fairphone Updater showed you an update to be installed? Under LineageOS you have the Fairphone updater? Do you mean the LOS updater?

Though I can’t tell you if the updates shown in the updater are regular LOS or LOS+microG updates…

It is an app I found on F-Droid, it says
Version 0.1.1
pro.rudloff.lineageos_updater_shortcut

1 Like

Yes but it’s the LineageOS updater, it’s written in the name. Moreover, you’ll find exactly the same updater under Settings→System→Updater.

I think these are the LOS+microG updates. Myself I’m under LOS 17.1 without microG, and the last update was on September 25th, not on the 22nd.

2 Likes

Who is actively using the LoS for microG version on the FP2? I’m asking because of Bootloop after trying to remove UnifiedNlp :-( - fixed, but how to switch to MicroG?, which doesn’t seem to get any attention, which made me wondering a little ;).

I’m using /e/ for the time being.

I’m using it, and I’ve been using it for quite some time now. I think I’ve migrated from “normal” LOS back then, but can’t really tell any more.
Manually installing microG on LOS used to be a hassle, due to Signature Spoofing, which required patching LOS after each update. So I was really happy when LineageOS for microG became available and made things easy for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m using LOS-microG on my FP2, but only since a few weeks. I am happy with it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Up to now the only downside was not to find DB Streckenagent on Aurora Store. I can live with that, as DB Navigator works properly. Apart from that, I use it mainly to check my emails and the weather forecast when I am travelling.

You were right. Today I downloaded an update with the updater and compared it with the latest version on the LOS-microG website. It was the same (20201013). Also the installation went smothly. Therefore updating can easily be done. This is great when encouraging people to use an OS without g++gle :smiley: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s there, says a test Fairphone 2.

3 Likes

Hi AnotherElk, thanks a lot for your answer, however, it will not allow me to install an “alarm”. I get the following message:

. But this will not stop me using Lineage_MicroG :smiley: :grinning: :smile: and one more thing: I can see how busy you are replying and helping everywhere in this forum - THANK YOU!

2 Likes

Have you ever tried running the Self-Check in Microg Settings? What does it show? If everything’s marked as OK in there, push notifications should work

1 Like

Hello,
Late reply, but I just wanted to say that I upgraded to 17.1 today.
I have been using Lineage for microg since quite some time. I was still on 16, because I had a lot to do lately. I upgraded from lineage 16 for microg to lineage 17.1 for microg. No problem while upgrading. And no problem so far.
My phone was a bit slow these last months and apps sometime crashed (telephone app while phone ringing, which made me miss calls, or the clock app while the alarm was on…). I hope that the upgrade will do the trick, because I don’t feel like a clean install right now!

Time to time, I also have apps crashing (mainly PokémonGo) or app suddenly provoking a reboot (mainly Whatsapp). But this latest is quite rare (once a week) so I can live with it :slight_smile:
But phone app never crashed for me.
I’m running the official LOS 17.1 (with OpenGapps pico)

Thanks for your answer!
It’s been almost a week now and I still have some apps crashing. Not the clock app any more (so long…), but I had the phone app today again. I also had two other apps almost once a day.
I don’t really have reboots though. What happens on my phone is that the screen freezes (the first times I thought the phone was about to restart), and after a while I get a message saying that the app is not responding. I can either close it or wait.
So: the phone doesn’t reboot and I don’t have to force a reboot; the app doesn’t close by itself.

Just made a search on the forum and found out that the issue happens to others as well:

Sorry to be so late to thank you for your input, but I was reluctant to post a negative answer and I was still hoping but up to now, even after the latest Lineage-Update) it is the same message: “Fehler bei der Push-Registrierung”. The Self-Check in Microg settings shows all green ticks, so nothing there. Maybe it is connected to my other problem, when I switch off data connection after having checked my emails, and swipe it on again, it will often (or never, but I am not sure of that) not connect again unless I restart the phone. But as said before, I can live with that.

I don’t use this myself, but perhaps registering manually would be worth a try …

1 Like

Thank you AnotherElk, it was worth trying. I did it two times, but after the last “#” the typed digits simply disappear and the screen is back to the regular telephone app. Finally I tried it without the last “#” digit, but then it said something along the lines of “wrong code”. But it is okay, I am very happy with my Lineage for microG-FP2 which I am currently using. What bothers me more is the installation of Lineage for microG on a new FP3 which I planned to get ready for Christmas. But this is another topic.