Updating LineageOS 17.1 for microG via TWRP + feature test

Ah, ok. But doesn’t the 3.1.1-0 file’s date on the download page correlate with this May 2019 change?
3.1.1-1 was made available on the download page in December 2019.

twrp-3.3.1-0-FP2.img 10.1M 2019-05-19 17:03:51 EDT

Luca Weiss
2019-05-19T17:34:12Z
Merge “FP2: fix encryption footer in fstab” into android-6.0

The fix wasn’t included in the 3.3.1-0 build which I’ve realized in December so I’ve asked the TWRP maintainers to trigger a rebuild to include the fix in 3.3.1-1.

2 Likes

Is this a fix, which allows for decryption of /data in the end???

It doesn’t help for Android 8+ decryption, at least not on my phone.
Perhaps it repairs Android 7 decryption in TWRP 3.3.x, I didn’t test that.

Waiting and waiting … is there a problem of MicroG and Android 10 ?

As far as I can see there seems to be a problem with UnifiedNlp and Android 10 currently.
UnifiedNlp is an integral part of microG.

There’s a custom workaround for UnifiedNlp alone already, but that doesn’t solve the microG hold-up yet.

Thank you, lets hope that they are working on it, I will wait …

I was able to install LineageOS 17.1 and add microG via Magisk and NanoDroid. It’s working just fine:

How-To:

1. Flash LineageOS 17.1 Nightly Build

2. Flash Magisk v20.4

3. Reboot into System

4. Reboot into Recovery and flash NanoDroid MicroG (https://downloads.nanolx.org/NanoDroid/Stable/)

5. Run Signature spoofing patcher for Android Q while Phone is in Recovery (from https://www.reddit.com/r/MicroG/comments/fywiix/signature_spoofing_patcher_for_android_q/)

6. Reboot and enjoy LineageOS 17.1 including MicroG

Hints: The Patcher gave sometimes gave me an error message (mount: can’t find /system_root in /etc/fstab). If you get these message just outcomment all lines in the script (mount section) with “/system_root”. Then it should work.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. Good to know there would be a way in case LineageOS 17.1 for microG doesn’t materialise.

And through this I found this here, seems this is were things got held up for now …

How do i update/install latest version of TWRP? I got the .img file.

2 Likes

Done. Thanks! Hopefully the microg version will be solved:)

Great news!
microG-Dev will be back in 1-2 weeks…

and please consider to support him via Liberapay:
https://liberapay.com/microG/

6 Likes

It works ! Thank you. But I have to patch again after update OTA.

In the meantime I installed /e/ on my daily driver Fairphone 3 and I’m really satisfied with it so far.
I’m considering to check it out on my backup Fairphone 2, too, to mirror my daily driver installation better.

/e/ is based on LineageOS, but the /e/ people are developing and building independently from LineageOS, and /e/ has microG built in, just as LineageOS for microG has.
/e/ is on Android 9 (Pie) currently on the Fairphone 2, and it is even more de-Googled than LineageOS is.
/e/'s own App “Store” combines the F-Droid repository with Cleanapk.org for installing cost-free Play Store Apps, so it’s not necessary to juggle with F-Droid and Aurora (but still possible if you like that better). I have read the /e/ Store would supposedly be lagging with updating App versions, but I have not witnessed that myself so far.
And /e/ has a beta-testing process in place before official releases, so you don’t install the pig in a poke with every new build compared to the automatic LineageOS builds.

Perhaps some things to consider regardless of the current LineageOS 17.1 for microG situation.

3 Likes

Hi, so, did you install /e/ on your backup FP2? I am considering to give /e/ a try but the thing that stops me from doing so right now is this:
“Warning : Downgrading Smartphones already on Android Q or LineageOS 17.x to Pie or from Pie OS to Oreo or Nougat can cause instability or at worst brick some devices.”

I am on Lineage OS 17.1. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can tell you my experience :slight_smile:
I installed /e/ on a FP2 that had LOS 17.1 before. I wiped the system-partition (and everything else) before installing via sideload.
The /e/-bootscreen appeared but after a while it would boot into recovery again. So I switched back to LOS 17.1 ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe the system had been encrypted and you didn’t format the data partition?
I’d installed LOS 17.1 on a FP2 with an encrypted data partition. Then I formatted data partition in TWRP, wiped cache, data and system and installed /e/ (vía “install” from ext. SD card in twrp). It has booted perfectly and runs fine.
@vthejay: I doubt you can that easily brick the FP2!

4 Likes

I did, and it works well. It’s a bit strange but pretty cool to have the same setup running on both of them :slight_smile: .

That is a warning they give across the board for all devices … until somebody points out it doesn’t apply to a particular device, then they can take it down for that device (example topic for the Fairphone 3).

I wouldn’t know why that would apply to the Fairphone 2. You can boot anything you want on it and cleanly wipe and format and reinstall everything.

3 Likes

A few days ago I read that Marvin Wißfeld did not joined the /e/ team but supports it as kind of consulting engineer (https://linuxnews.de/2020/07/e-foundation-unterstuetzt-entwicklung-von-microg/).
Do you think that’s the end of LOS for microG?

One more question for my understanding: I wonder if it’s possible to update the last official release of LOS for micrG (https://download.lineage.microg.org/FP2/) to /e/ since both are based on LOS. At least I want to have asked before I have to reconfigure all my devices again.