Updating LineageOS 15.1 for microG via TWRP + feature test

I can’t reproduce that. Recording 1’ 30" with the top module v1 (I recently discovered there’s a second version of the top module, :scream:)

2 Likes

Ok, so perhaps it’s another “new module” software thing or my top module is broken. Perhaps I’ll check with the older build if I have time.

Well, I don’t record videos with the selfie camera anyway apart from testing, luckily.

Update Installed via TWRP 3.2.3-0 (Releases)

The following things work for me so far:

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • internet via mobile network
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module, flash works correctly with Open Camera)
  • main camera (new module) video recording works
  • selfie camera (new module)
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording still broken (Records black screen after a few seconds for me.)
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.9 (nightly 19.08.2018 for syncing with Thunderbird 60)
  • Root access (Settings - Developer Settings - Root Access)
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Bluetooth (data connection, music playback)
  • FM radio
  • weather (Your local weather, Weather Widget)

For reporting bugs see the bottom of this page.

1 Like

Is this a problem for us FP2 users? Is this updatable only via baseband / modem.zip? Fairphone told me in another thread they are NOT updating baseband for their Android 7 release…

Possibly.
If there are bugs in the hardware drivers (especially concerning security) which the hardware vendors (especially Qualcomm) would have to fix, but don’t anymore, then yes, this would be a problem.

But it would be a problem I guess many devices supported by the LineageOS community share, because many of those devices don’t receive any update of any kind anymore officially, LineageOS at least covers the OS side of things for them.

I think so.

My understanding up to now is:
First and foremost the hardware vendors have to patch their stuff if some bug comes up, as long as the stuff is not EOL.
There’s just not much Fairphone can do about it other than wait for updates to be delivered by the hardware vendors … unless the hardware is EOL and the vendors give Fairphone (read as: sell, if Fairphone wanted to have it and could afford it ) the source code to support it any further.
And then Fairphone would still need to turn this into updates when necessary. This is not trivial, they tried something similar and it didn’t quite work out in the end (even if they came close) for Android 4.4 on the Fairphone 1.

3 Likes

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module) works correctly with Open Camera, the stock camera App doesn’t operate the flash correctly.
  • main camera (new module) video recording
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording works correctly with the stock camera App, Open Camera records only black after a random number of seconds.
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.9 (nightly 19.08.2018 for syncing with Thunderbird 60)
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio
  • weather (Your local weather, Weather Widget)

3 Likes

Last updatesof LOS+microg I have had to do it via TWRP. The LOS updater downloads the file, but when installing, the device just restarts and shows a notification that couldn’t update. After restarting with power+volume up, it goes directly to update on TWRP and it works well.

1 Like

There is a new version of OpenCamera in the PlayStore, not yet on F-Droid… perhaps there are also fixed for FP2 users :)?

1 Like

After updating microG Services Core from version 0.2.5.12879 to 0.2.6.3280, the services crashes repeatedly.
A downgrade via F-droid is not possible. Do I have to wait for the next update of the services or is there another way of downgrading?

How exactly did you update?
My F-Droid doesn’t list the microG Services Core.
Yalp lists it, but as microG tries to mimick Google services and Yalp accesses the Google Play Store, I would suspect Yalp would take microG for the real thing and try to install the real Google services if I would let it, but I don’t know that for sure, I’m just careful :slight_smile: .

You could try to install the last LineageOS for microG build again, I guess.

I have the MicroG-Repo activated in F-Droid.

But I solved it by myself. Stopping and deactivating MicroG Services sufficed, then I was able to reinstall the 0.2.5.12879 version.

1 Like

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module) works correctly with Open Camera, the stock camera App doesn’t operate the flash correctly.
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording works correctly with the stock camera App, Open Camera records only black after a random number of seconds.
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.10
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio
  • weather (Your local weather with my own OpenWeatherMap API Key, Weather Widget)

1 Like

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • FM radio
  • weather (Your local weather with my own OpenWeatherMap API Key, Weather Widget)

1 Like

Hi @marvelart1234 !

What do you mean by custom ROM? LineageOS+MicroG is just a flavour of LineageOS, automatically build, so IMHO there is similar risk as installing LineageOS official.
By official ROM, do you mean supported by Fairphone company, so only FPOS and FPOOS ? Or do you consider LineageOS community-supported as official ROM?

The OTA-installer of LineageOS uses TWRP anyway, so installing directly the update from TWRP (due to the bug that prevents lineage to reboot in recovery) doesn’t change much IMHO, do you have other experience?

Not with a Fairphone 2, that much is certain judging by the profile and the posts so far :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Is this happening to someone else or is it just me?

It’s due to the (famous/infamous?) new-camera-reboot bug…
Workaround: turn on your flash before starting the LOS update :smiley:

EDIT: or just maintain volume up during the reboot triggered by the LOS updater…

2 Likes

I had no problems with the update.
FP2 with the old camera modules.

yes looks like it could be that. I have the new camera module now. will test those things next time :stuck_out_tongue: